2018-19 British figure skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2018-19 British figure skating

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
A nice article about Natasha McKay on the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/46362778

It seems like she has reached the TES minimums for worlds!

She's now a 3x national champion! It would be nice to see her in the Grand Prix circuit one day :pray:

Here's a link I found to Natasha's free skate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVAwaq_qdag

(I actually didn't know where the British championships were taking place - I recall looking it up a while ago and all I could find was information on how to enter if I wanted to compete...:confused:)

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
It was in Sheffield. I think Sheffield and Nottingham have taken turns to host it for a while now. I’d love to see it somewhere like Streatham or Murrayfield.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I say it for selfish reasons, I’d be nice to go and just stay at home rather than book a hotel! XD

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
It was in Sheffield. I think Sheffield and Nottingham have taken turns to host it for a while now. I’d love to see it somewhere like Streatham or Murrayfield.

...or Dundonald!!! (Or, if they want to go big, the Odyssey Arena up the road in Belfast. Although I imagine that would be far too expensive to hire).

Alas, NISA seems to want everything to be held in either Sheffield or Nottingham. It has been a running joke on here (by me!) that whenever the ISU allocates something to NISA, you know which of the two rinks the event is going to be held at long before it is even announced, because they take it in turns.

For example:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/s...hampionships&p=1720138&viewfull=1#post1720138

(Just to explain, the quote in that post is from an older thread. But, it might be worth clicking through to that thread and reading it from the start, because there is actually some very interesting reading in it).

Kinda off topic, but it was announced a few weeks ago that the Dundalk Ice Dome is re-opening (I originally read the story on the website of the local newpaper, the Dundalk Democrat, but it is now in the archives behind a paywall. So here is the story on another Dundalk based website). So, assuming that a lot of the Southern skaters will want to move to training there on their own side of the border (either for pure convenience or because of complications arising from Brexit), the Dundonald Ice Bowl could be doing with the income that is generated from hosting competitions.

Reviving the Northern Ireland Championships would be a start...

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
When was the last time the UK hosted Worlds?

1995, at the NEC in Birmingham.

The only other times Worlds have been in the UK were:

• 1950 at the Empire Arena (now Wembley Arena) in Wembley, London
  • 1929 at the Ice Club in Westminster, London (only Men)
  • 1928 at the Ice Club in Westminster, London (only Ladies and Pairs)
  • 1924 in Manchester (only Men and Pairs, and I don't know where exactly)
  • 1912 in Manchester (only Men and Pairs, and I don't know where exactly)
  • 1902 at the Niagara Ice Rink in Westminster, London (only Singles and Pairs)
  • 1898 at the National Skating Palace (now the London Palladium) in Westminster, London (only Men)

So, the UK (or, to be more specific, England) has hosted Worlds 8 times, and half of them were held in Westminster! :drama: (Albeit at 3 different rinks).

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
You must be from NI! Fellow northern Irelander here! The jet centre was my stomping ground!

Yep. I'm in Cookstown, and my first time on the ice was also at the Jet Centre. It was a youth club trip when I was 16.

And it went so well that it was also my last time on the ice...!!! :p :laugh:

Somewhat ironically, the Jet Centre was where I had to go to a few months ago to watch "I, Tonya" (the cinema 100 yards from my house didn't have it, and that was the nearest cinema that was showing it). And as a figure skating fan, it was a bittersweet experience, due to thinking about what had been lost.

Good to know there are some more of us on here! :biggrin:

(And I absolutely LOVE your avatar. My username is a reference to Carolina Kostner and Liza Tuktamysheva, and all of my previous avatars had Liza in them).

CaroLiza_fan

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
...or Dundonald!!! (Or, if they want to go big, the Odyssey Arena up the road in Belfast. Although I imagine that would be far too expensive to hire).

Alas, NISA seems to want everything to be held in either Sheffield or Nottingham. It has been a running joke on here (by me!) that whenever the ISU allocates something to NISA, you know which of the two rinks the event is going to be held at long before it is even announced, because they take it in turns.

CaroLiza_fan

One of these days I’m going to have to go to Dundonald! ;)

I had no idea we were Hosting the 2020 Junior Synchro Champs which is nice.

To be fair to Nottingham that rink is by all accounts outstanding. But if NISA (Sorry, British Figure Skating) are serious about raising our profile in Skating I think hosting Worlds or even the GPF would be a perfect next step to take after the successful streaming of the Championships on the BBC.

I think they could appeal to UK Sports or the Government for extra funding. I think after Pyongchang being our most successful Winter Olympics ever, and being unable to host any other Winter sports, they could make a compelling argument.

LynsJ

On the Ice
Yep. I'm in Cookstown, and my first time on the ice was also at the Jet Centre. It was a youth club trip when I was 16.

CaroLiza_fan

I used to compete when I was younger and the jet centre was where I trained! [emoji23]
I wish it was still there for my son to take lessons (he's 4).
Liza and Carolina have been my faves for years [emoji7]

So excited to watch fear and Gibson representing us in the coming years!

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Just found this lovely interview with Penny Coomes and Nick Buckland by the actress who plays Jayne Torvill in the up coming Torvill and Dean TV film: (https://youtu.be/7lnPg3Ajc80)

Look where it was filmed....

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just found this lovely interview with Penny Coomes and Nick Buckland by the actress who plays Jayne Torvill in the up coming Torvill and Dean TV film: (https://youtu.be/7lnPg3Ajc80)

Awwwww!!!! She is ADORABLE!!!! :love:

Although, I got a surprise when I pressed play and saw Danielle, because I was expecting to see Poppy Lee Friar (of "Dead Gorgeous", "Eve" and "Ackley Bridge" fame) conducting the interview! But, I suppose that you have to start the story a bit earlier than the age Poppy Lee would be coming in at! ;)

She may be able to still get away with playing teenagers, but she wouldn't be able to get away with playing younger children.

It may have been the Danielle's first time conducting an interview, but she did an absolutely fantastic job! :bow: :cheer: :clap: :points:

Much better than any of mine... :slink:

Very interesting questions (some of them were quite probing!), and very interesting answers. It is one of those videos where you can't help but smile the whole way through. Penny and Nick are just such nice people.

It is worth looking through Danielle's YouTube channel, as she has been putting up loads of interesting videos. There are quite a few videos from filming "Torvill & Dean", but there are also lots of videos of her own skating. And a 3-part video which is just the icing on the cake! (You'll know what I mean when you find it!)

If you want to know a bit more about her competitive career, here is her Rink Results Bio:

http://www.rinkresults.com/skater?skater_id=31125

Congratulations to Danielle for her win and her Silver Medal last season! :cheer: :clap: :points:

Look where it was filmed....

Yeah, I knew it was being filmed over here. In fact, I posted about it in a conveniant thread shortly after it was first announced. At that stage I didn't know which rink, but then when the filming started I heard people chattering about the Ice Bowl being used.

I did love hearing a few local accents in the background. But, I have to admit, the amount of wind noise was getting a bit annoying. So, maybe it would have been better conducting it inside the caravan rather than outside it.

But, all in all, a great interview.

CaroLiza_fan

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Her questions were very interesting, especially finding out that Nick could do a two triple jumps before he switched to Ice Dance.

Also it’s nice to hear that it isn’t 100% certain that they have retired. My hopes aren’t high for a return but they aren’t 0% either.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Thanks for the post! I hope to see Graham live up to his SP performance from Nationals, it was magical.

Also next year I hope PJ Hallam gets assigned at least one CS competition!

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Luke Digby is skating soon at CS Golden Spin as a senior, good luck Luke!

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Just rewatching the British Championships on iPlayer and thought I'd look up the BBC commentator, as I'd never heard her before:

@claireyoudale - jeez! No connection or previous interest in Skating, seems to have been chosen as she lives in Sheffield!

I really don't hold with the view that she as a newbie is representing some viewers. If you're not already interested in Skating you're not going to watch a livestream on the website for hours on end.

And she didn't even tweet about being at the British Championships on her Twitter account!