U.S. Coverage - Cup of Russia | Golden Skate

U.S. Coverage - Cup of Russia

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
TV Schedule
Cup of Russia
Dec. 13, 2004, 9 p.m.- 12 a.m. Eastern

The final ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating event of the season, Cup of Russia, will air Dec. 13 on ESPN. Don't miss coverage of some of your favorite skaters, including Johnny Weir, Evgeny Plushenko, Irina Slutskaya and Jennifer Kirk. Coverage begins at 9 p.m. and runs through midnight (Eastern time). Check your local listings.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
So what did you guys think?????

I just love seeing Evgeny back and competing and I almost cried when I saw the exhibition of Totmianina and Marinin :cry:

Vash01

Medalist
It was GREAT to see Evgeny competing again. He was amazing, although he did not do that well in the jumps, by his own high standards. The way he moved/flew across the ice was something to watch. I have missed seeing him skate this year. However, we will see him again on 12/18 in the Marshalls telecast.

jesslily

Final Flight
For ladies' result, I don't think that Arakawa should be 2nd place, it's really over marked. She skated much worse than Julia S. and Elina S.

ATW27

On the Ice
I love Shizuka.... but so far, this season, she's been a little "off". I mean, she's been more or less solid, but there hasn't really been any 'spark' to her skating. Maybe Suzie W.'s right about the confidence issue. I, too, think she might have been held up a little. I hope she does find her rythum, her spark once again in time for Worlds, as I do enjoy her skating.

Good to see Don & Hunt do well; I think we'll be seeing them in Moscow in march, along with Inoue and Baldwin.

I was upset, however, that Savchenko & Szolkowy ended up on the cutting room floor; I was so looking forward to seeing them! What was ESPN's logic? "oh, there some unkown German skaters... no one'll miss them!" - Wrong!!

Sorry that Carolina did so poorly... I was hoping she was starting to get consistant.

I'm really enjoying Irina's surge back to the top; I think she'll be the one to beat in Moscow. Her Queen of Spades LP is one of my favorites of hers. Good also to see Elena S. continuing to improve as the the season progresses. With only 2 spots for the Russian ladies at worlds this year, it's going to be interesting to see who that 2nd spot with go to (the first spot is, of course, Irina's, barring something unexpected), since both Volchkova and Sokolova have been looking good of late. Plus, there's also the 'renewed' Soldatova to consider (hard, since she missed the GP due to boot problems or something, but who knows, she may blow the roof off at Russian Nats).

Andy W.

Johar

Medalist
I am a big fan of Shizuka Arakawa, but I feel Elena Sokolova outskated her and should've been placed higher. Elena had speed on the ice and kept nailing her jumps, plus her artistry was high.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
My Impressions

Pairs
Zhang & Zhang are a good team, but I just can't warm up to them. A deserved win, though. I was sort of disappointed with Obertas & Slavnov. I felt Moskvina put a lot into their program that they have difficulty handling. They end up concentrating on the elements, and miss the bigger picture. Then again, Moskvina herself said her strategy for this season was just working on technique.

Ladies
Irina rocks! I don't think I've ever seen her skate that well. She had passion, she had speed, she had technique -- wow! I also have to applaud her choreography from a technical perspective. For example, spirals were never Irina's strong point. However, by putting in the Biellman position she was still able to get to level 3 difficulty. Smart!

While I liked Shizuka's program, I think she was painful to watch. She was so tentative! I hope she regains some of that confidence later on in the season. I was surprised to like Julia. I've never been her fan, but I liked the sheer power of her skating. Elena disappointed me. It wasn't a question of specific mistakes. I did not care of how she skated -- without much attention to details that are so important in skating.

Dance

Grushina & Goncharov need new costumes. I understand that the particular style adds to the dynamic of the dance. However, G&G as is always have a somewhat frantic quality to their skating - that's their weak point. The costumes just aggrevate this. I liked the program though.

Navka & Kostomarov had a deserved win. My problem with their program, though, is that it only highlights her. I think this is wrong because he is a strong skater as well. Overall, I got the impression that unless they improve dramatically, their fair placement this season should be behind the Bulgarians.

Men

Plushenko was incredible! Last season's program was just a repeat of previous ones. I can't believe Mishin actually took all the criticism, because this one is awesome. The straight line footwork in the end is amazing.

Johnny was good, but I thought it was absolutely ridiculous how the commentators kept talking about the "new rivalry". I sure didn't see any, and it seemed that Johnny's team was quite happy with strong second place. It reminded me of Scott during OG2002 talking about the possibility of Timmy scoring higher than Alexei.

Totmiana & Marinin
I am very glad they were shown. I like their program, and help admiring their courage for being back no the ice so soon.

My standouts:

Evgeny I can no longer complain about him playing to the audience. As I watched, he drew me in. Just superb. Great flow throughout. My problem with Evgeni and it is nitpicking is his spins do not get to me. He can not sit all the way down, and I guess his back is bothering him for camels, which I never have been overwhelmed with anyway, but oh those jumps, so wonderful!

Johnny Surpised me, too. He held his own. Certainly he can spin rings around Evgeni. His flow was incredible, and most of his jumps are so beautifully executed. It's hardly a nitpick, but he is not up to Evgeni's jumping skills and I agree with Ptchka, he is not Evgeni's rival, but in time and with more expression, he will be a formidable rival. I've decided I like him more than Joubert but I am not sure about Ilia Klimkin or Stephane Lambiel. Hope they are in good shape.

Elena S. and Julia S. Another two surprises. Both skated exceptionally well. Julia was tiring towards the end but Elena was back to where she was at DC Worlds. I much preferred Elena's program to Irina's. Shizuka needs work but I believe she was ill. Irina was the winner hands down.

That Italian Team Surprised with that super disco dance. They really got into it. Having been to Studio 54, I could almost feel that they lit up before taking to the ice :laugh:

No real surprises in Pairs I do however see the slow but steady improvements in Don and Hunt and maybe, just maybe, the Americans will have a real competitive pair team. Obertas and Slavonov need a lot of work to get on the podium at Worlds.

Joe

Ximena

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
My standouts:

Evgeny I can no longer complain about him playing to the audience. As I watched, he drew me in. Just superb. Great flow throughout. My problem with Evgeni and it is nitpicking is his spins do not get to me. He can not sit all the way down, and I guess his back is bothering him for camels, which I never have been overwhelmed with anyway, but oh those jumps, so wonderful!

Johnny
I've decided I like him more than Joubert but I am not sure about Ilia Klimkin or Stephane Lambiel. Hope they are in good shape.

Joe

I'm so so glad you like Plush LP :rock: and thanks for the review, yes his back does seem to be bothering him because in his SP, he tried the donut spin what he usually executes very very well, and this time the separation between her head and skate was quite a big one

kind of OT, but Lambiel has just performed in a gala in Germany last weekend, for what I read he is doign fine, commentators said that Lambiel is at his 70% but it did seem he was in the right road of full recuperation. As for Ilia, he won't appear this season. :cry:

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I recorded COR on my dvr because I had to work late last night, and when I got home to watch it it had recorded without sound? All I can hear is really loud white noise. Very irritating to watch figure skating on mute. GRRRRR.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
That Italian Team Surprised with that super disco dance. They really got into it. Having been to Studio 54, I could almost feel that they lit up before taking to the ice :laugh:

Joe

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

BittyBug

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I don't know what to call that spin. I suppose fans will say it is innovative. Anyway, imo, I am not impressed.
It's a pancake spin, and I wouldn't call it innovative, since it was popularized by Lucinda Ruh - Johnny is not the first person to do it. The reason it's impressive is because it's incredibly difficult, especially with all the arm variations. Try it yourself and you'll see what I mean. ;)

mpal2

Final Flight
Longhornliz said:
I recorded COR on my dvr because I had to work late last night, and when I got home to watch it it had recorded without sound? All I can hear is really loud white noise. Very irritating to watch figure skating on mute. GRRRRR.
If you get ESPN2 they will be reairing it this Sunday from 1-4 pm EST. Don't forget that Kurt's Gotta Skate starts at 4 pm EST however.

I have to record part of the ladies on Sunday. The ESPN channels decided to go to a black screen on me. Direct TV swears it was a problem on ESPN's side, but who knows. So I missed Irina and Elena. :sheesh:

Last edited:

childfreegirl

Final Flight
mpal2 said:
I have to record part of the ladies on Sunday. The ESPN channels decided to go to a black screen on me. Direct TV swears it was a problem on ESPN's side, but who knows. So I missed Irina and Elena. :sheesh:

Not that it'll help, but I have DirecTV and that didn't happen with me the other night. It sounds like a local thing.

sk8er1964

On the Ice
mpal2 said:

I have Direct TV, and mine blacked out too. However, I only missed Irena in the K&C, and Elena. I did see Irena's program.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Will this be reaired? I diddn't pay too much attention during the broadcasting since I was busy at other stuffs. However I had my VCR on, thought I would come back to rewatch when I got time. Then when I ready to watch the next day. All it was recorded was some cook show.