Onda withdraws, Czisny added to Marshall's | Golden Skate

Onda withdraws, Czisny added to Marshall's

They might have thought it was too late for international skaters to arrange travel. The event is the day after tomorrow! Alyssa lives in the area. Talk about being in the right place at the right time!

I hope she can do a Kimmy Meisner and jump up into the mix, like Kimmy did at Campbells.

Now it is 5 U.S. ladies and only Irina on the International side.

Mathman

Lucy25

Final Flight
I prefer Alissa's skating to Yoshie's, so I am not upset about the change. I looking so forward to going on Friday!

Let's face it - this so-called international competition is in reality;

Eine Kleine Amerikanishe Music.

Joe

bronxgirl

Medalist
Yoshie's qualified for the GPF, she may want the time for training as opposed to any serious injury.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
sk8er1964 said:
I would have much rather seen one of the Canadian ladies added.

Give it time -- the way this thing is going, tomorrow'll there'll be a thread titled "Czisny withdraws, Rochette added to Marshall's"..... :laugh:

S

SkateFan4Life

Lotta said:
http://usfsa.org/event_story.asp?id=28042

My goodness lots of people are either getting injured or ill this season.

IMHO, the Grand Prix series is becoming more and more a total joke, with so many skaters pulling out for injuries, illnesses, and the like. Perhaps it's a case of simply too many competitions, too much travel, and not enough "down time" for the skaters to recharge themselves.

JonnyCoop said:
Give it time -- the way this thing is going, tomorrow'll there'll be a thread titled "Czisny withdraws, Rochette added to Marshall's"..... :laugh:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

SkateFan, well, of course this isn't a Grand Prix event, but the same principle holds. It seems like nobody wants to do everything. Americans Michelle and Sasha chose the two specials, Marshalls and Campbells, over the Grand Prix, while Shizuka and now Onda dropped out of Marshalls but will do the GP Final. (Irina skipped Campbells but -- so far -- is still signed up for Marshalls, besides doing the full Grand Prix series.)

About Campbell's, Shizuka says in this months Blades on Ice: "I was nervous. It was my first competition in six months. I forgot how loud the spectators are and how enthusiastic the audience was for Michelle."

Mathman

S

SkateFan4Life

Mathman said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

SkateFan, well, of course this isn't a Grand Prix event,

Mathman

Duh... :rofl: You'll have to forgive me, guys. I'm usually brain dead by this time of the evening.....

jesslily

Final Flight
sk8er1964 said:
I would have much rather seen one of the Canadian ladies added.

I agree, and now there is but just one non-American skater competing in this Marshall's competition. :sheesh:

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Mathman said:
They might have thought it was too late for international skaters to arrange travel. The event is the day after tomorrow! Alyssa lives in the area. Talk about being in the right place at the right time!

O/T - Isn't she attending Bowling Green University (Ohio) now? Not in MI, but still less than a 2 hour drive away.

sk8er1964

On the Ice
jesslily said:
I agree, and now there is but just one non-American skater competing in this Marshall's competition. :sheesh:

That's my problem with this. Unfortunately, we are kind of going into the second tier of US ladies too. Not that Alyssa isn't a good skater - she is. However, she has not yet achieved the success that's usually required for skaters in these cheesefests. I will be interested in comparing Sasha's flexibility to Alyssa's.

Is it me, or have the men seemed much more exciting to watch this year?

Last edited:

Longhornliz

Final Flight
sk8er1964 said:
Is it me, or have the men seemed much more exciting to watch this year?

I totally agree, I have always thought the men were boring or dandy... this year I have really gotten into it though.

I think the ladies have been pretty interesting, too. With the top guns withdrawing from so many events we got to see rising stars like Rochette and Phaneuf stake their claims.

About Alissa Czisny, I think she has a very legitimate shot at fourth place, upsetting Kirk (who is having a terrible year so far) and Nikodinov (who can unravel at any moment).

Mathman

soogar

Record Breaker
I actually think that Alissa is getting all these opportunities b.c the USFS is grooming her to be that 3rd woman to go to worlds.

shine

Record Breaker
I wouldn't mind if that happened. Nikodinov is kind of hopeless; Kirk's skating is too weak and will have a hard time getting into top 15; Corwin is blah and doesn't have good technique, Beatrisa Liang is great but is still injured. Czisny has wonderful programs and seems to be on the rise.
And Marshalls just got a little bit more interesting!

Linny

Final Flight
Whew

Shine wrote:
"I wouldn't mind if that happened. Nikodinov is kind of hopeless; Kirk's skating is too weak and will have a hard time getting into top 15; Corwin is blah and doesn't have good technique, Beatrisa Liang is great but is still injured. Czisny has wonderful programs and seems to be on the rise.
And Marshalls just got a little bit more interesting!"

Whew, Shine, you aren't in a good mood today, are you? I haven't given up hope for Nikodinov, I believe that Kirk has it there just hasn't unlocked it you, I don't find Corwin to be blah at all, especially when she fires off her 3T-3T, I wish all the best for Liang...

And while I'm happy for Czisny, I guess I'm a bit more optimistic than Shine is (at least today).

Linny