Question Re: Michael Weiss choreographer | Golden Skate

Question Re: Michael Weiss choreographer

Arianne

On the Ice
Ok, I don't remember his name, but he was the guy who was HIV positive and worked with Mike on his short program for the 1998 Olympics. He was really ill at this time, and there was a special about him. Does anyway know his name, or what happened to him after the 1998 Olympics?

Thanks!

Olderbear

Rinkside
Brian Wright

It was so sad to see such a talented person die so young. I wish he were still doing Michael's programs instead of Michael's wife....

S

SkateFan4Life

Olderbear said:
It was so sad to see such a talented person die so young. I wish he were still doing Michael's programs instead of Michael's wife....

I have to agree with you - Brian Wright was a wonderfully talented choreographer and was heads and shoulders above Michael Weiss' wife, Lisa, as far as being a talented choreographer is concerned - IMHO of course. The skating world lost a very creative person, and I'm sure Brian is dearly missed by his family, friends, and skating colleagues.

Wright made some wonderful programs for Scott Davis, too. Do any of you remember his "West Side Story" long program of the 1993 and 1994 seasons?
Great skating!! đź‘Ť

lovespirals

Rinkside
No! I should try to find that one. I do remember the short program he constructed for Weiss in '98. Artistic and Macho! :agree:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life said:
Wright made some wonderful programs for Scott Davis, too. Do any of you remember his "West Side Story" long program of the 1993 and 1994 seasons? Great skating!! đź‘Ť

Yes! Wonderful program!

ladybug

On the Ice
Isn't he the one who did Michelle Kwan's exhibition right before he died. I think it was "Fallin". I believe she was being coached by Scott Williams at the time.

Ladybug

sk8m8

Final Flight
I have to agree with you - Brian Wright was a wonderfully talented choreographer and was heads and shoulders above Michael Weiss' wife, Lisa, as far as being a talented choreographer is concerned - IMHO of course.

I do agree that Michael needs to get a new choreographer, however, I do understands from friends in the DC area that Lisa is a very talented choreograhper. The rub is, she is not an ice skater, and while I imagine many of her moves and position may be lovely on a "flat floor" it leaves a lot to be desired on the ice. I personally think that it's almost impossible to be a good ice choreographer if you haven't been a skater. You wouldn't even have to be a good one (skater) that is, but rather know what is possible with a pair of knives strapped to your feet :rofl: . I always think about Lea Ann Miller who was not a great competitive skater, but has done splediferous things as a choreograhper.

I'd personally like to see Mike get an outside source for choreography, however marriages work in many ways on many levels. Maybe Mike can't win another world medal, but has a VERY happy marriage due to the present arrangement.