Kayne and O’Shea Relocating to Colorado Springs | Golden Skate

Kayne and O’Shea Relocating to Colorado Springs

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Tarah Kayne and Danny O’Shea Relocating to Colorado Springs
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (Sept. 7, 2018) - 2016 U.S. champions Tarah Kayne and Danny O’Shea will move to Colorado Springs, Colorado and train under Dalilah Sappenfield, the pair announced on Friday.

Kayne and O’Shea had previously trained under Jim Peterson and Amanda Evora in Ellenton, Florida.

“We are so appreciative to Jim and Amanda for everything that they’ve done for us,” O’Shea said. “At this time, we think it’s best for us to be located in Colorado Springs at the Olympic Training Center.”

Kayne, who has battled a knee injury for the past year, will be able to continue to receive treatment at the Olympic Training Center (OTC).

“I’ve been pleased with the treatment I have received at the Olympic Training Center and I am looking forward to being closer (to the OTC),” Kayne said. “We’re excited for this next step in our journey.”

“I am excited to welcome Tarah and Danny into my program and to watch their work ethic pay dividends not only for themselves, but also my other teams that they will train alongside every day,” Sappenfield said. “I would like to commend Jim Peterson for not only entrusting me to guide them on their journey, but also having a hands-on role in this transition. I have great respect for him and we both agree that this is the correct move for the team. This is an example of the U.S. pairs community working together to put our collective best foot forward and I’m looking forward to beginning the process with Tarah and Danny."

The pair had trained with Peterson for the last seven years.

“I completely support this decision for Tarah and Danny,” Peterson said. “The Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs provides the best support system for Tarah’s recovery. A healthy and strong Tarah is a healthy and strong pairs team and that’s what is best for the United States. I’m excited to see Tarah and Danny back out on the ice competing at full strength.”

Last season, the duo finished as silver medalists at the U.S. Championships and won the Four Continents Championships title.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So good to see Dalilah and Jim Peterson saying such nice things about each other and talking about working together to move USA pairs forward.:agree:

Best of luck to Tarah in recovery and to Tarah and Danny:hap85:

charmblade

Final Flight
Cool, this seems like an amicable move. Hopefully Dalilah can work on their twist!

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Huh, interesting. Hope it works out for them as they're quite nice to watch and have had some bad luck with the injuries.
Thanks to gsk8 for all the nice interviews :)

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know we will never have full answers, but I'm really curious as to how this went down. Best of luck to them.

“How this went down”, according to all parties involved and the interview posted, is that Tarah was spending time in COS rehabbing, they were able to work with Dalilah during that time, and Tarah and Danny and Dalilah and Jim all agreed a change should be made.

And they all acted like the grown ups they are in making the change.:thumbsup: All questions answered, no middle school drama and no need to create any. I’m liking how this went down:)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
i wasn't implying large amounts of drama just the actual mechanics of how the decision was made.

Tarah, AFAIK, has been in Colorado Springs pretty much since after the Olympics when her injury flared up again. I don't think she's been back to Florida much, if at all. I believe Danny has been spitting time between the two.

Jim Peterson had Tarah and Danny work with Delilah on their twist. https://www.instagram.com/p/BlyNBPFldun/?taken-by=jpcoach

I'm guessing the conversations went from there...and led to this decision.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
i wasn't implying large amounts of drama just the actual mechanics of how the decision was made.

You are right, that would be interesting, because the pairs coaches have been talking the talk about cooperating and now it seems they are walking the walk. :thumbsup: Without creating a "supercenter" like some of the singles coaches have done.....

happycamper2554

On the Ice
Per TSL (Take that how you wish), USFS is involved. Mitch Moyer told Jim Peterson if he wanted to continue coaching Kayne and O'Shea, he had to come to CO Springs. Obviously i'm suspect about the , but interesting if true.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tarah and Danny are so talented. I hope this move proves beneficial to them and helps them to continue to improve. I have such a soft spot for Mr. Peterson, it's hard for me to imagine them without him. Hopefully Dalilah's expertise on the twist will help them.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Best to Tarah and Danny.

I do hope and believe that the coaching change came about amicably. :ghug:

At the same time, I imagine that quite a bit of soul-searching preceded their decision. Aside from other considerations, #TeamFlorida and #Sappensquad each seem to have a lot of healthy pride and bonding within their respective training groups.

You are right, that would be interesting, because the pairs coaches have been talking the talk about cooperating and now it seems they are walking the walk. :thumbsup: Without creating a "supercenter" like some of the singles coaches have done.....

BTW #1:

Dalilah and her pair skaters are part of World Arena Skating Academy, if that is the "supercenter" to which you are referring.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bmcg1nLlSUU/?taken-by=coach.dalilah (Aug 14)​

BTW #2:

With the third JGP not yet concluded, three WASA skaters have earned JGP medals this season -- Young You bronze :medal"; Pulkinen gold :medal"; Yelim Kim silver :medal".
Plus two WASA skaters have placed fourth -- Torgashev; Yi Christy Leung.
Ting fifth; Audrey Shin 11th.

Asian Open Trophy -- Yi Christy fourth.
Philadelphia International -- Brynne bronze :medal"; Torgashev gold :medal"; Pulkinen fourth; Paniot fifth.

Is WASA having a positive effect on its skaters? Maybe so?​

ETA, update:
Plus Torgashev just won another gold :medal" in Lithuania.​