But I Love It Anyway..... | Golden Skate

But I Love It Anyway.....

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The thread for the best R&J program gave me an idea: what are the programs you know aren't the best for that work, or your skater's best (sometimes by quite a margin) but you have a big soft spot for them anyway (for sentiment, the fact that they tried, the award it got even though it wasn't the best, etc...)?

Because mine is Yuzuru's poor, unloved (triple crown) Romeo & Juliet 2, especially the performance at Worlds 14 where - as he so often did when backed into a corner - he gave it everything he had and pulled out a win. And okay, he fell twice at the Olympics, but after that got up, gritted his teeth and again put everything into the rest of it even though he must have been so sure he'd blown the gold.

Yes, I love R&J 1 more, and some of the later ones most.... but still. My soft spot for it (even the costume!), it is huge.

What are other skaters' that you think could be watched and loved more? I'd love to hear them so I can go and watch (and quite possibly love, being an underdog addict) them...

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Weaver/Poje's Humanity in Motion needs more love. After the success of their JSM routine the previous season, they decided to go in a different direction and worked with contemporary dancer Allison Holker to choreograph this dance. I especially like this first iteration because of the unique moves they incorporate into it. Unfortunately, judges didn't like it and they didn't make the GPF that year. Then Kaitlyn broke her fibula in training before Nationals and it was doubtful that they could participate at home Worlds. However, they were able to come back strong with a modified version and gave an emotional free dance to finish a respectable 5th place.

StephenGfan

Final Flight
Elenas titanic FS. It to me had camp value and i loved her outfit. She performed it so well at COR in fact it was the performance that beat Evgenias overall to win the competition and it would be the last competion where evgenia overall lost until zagitova beat her at the euros this year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xnKEpOEKxY

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Surya Bonaly's Samson & Delilah LP in 1997-98. She has lost her flip and lutz by then, but it was her best artistic effort.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I will now forever well up hearing a certain passage of Phantom of the Opera, remembering the bright smile and carefree joy of the one who saw himself only as the support dog, who pulled himself out of retirement to save the US' butt one last time.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
From last season: Chock and Bates' Imagine. Man, did that program take a beating. I get that the vocals were unusual but they put such feeling into it.

Gabby Daleman's Carmen for the same reason. I haven't seen someone nail the attitude of Carmen that well since Katarina Witt. The whacky vocals could be distracting but I love it anyway.

ankifeather

Final Flight
The thread for the best R&J program gave me an idea: what are the programs you know aren't the best for that work, or your skater's best (sometimes by quite a margin) but you have a big soft spot for them anyway (for sentiment, the fact that they tried, the award it got even though it wasn't the best, etc...)?

Because mine is Yuzuru's poor, unloved (triple crown) Romeo & Juliet 2, especially the performance at Worlds 14 where - as he so often did when backed into a corner - he gave it everything he had and pulled out a win. And okay, he fell twice at the Olympics, but after that got up, gritted his teeth and again put everything into the rest of it even though he must have been so sure he'd blown the gold.

At first I was confused cause I thought the best Rome & Juliet thread had Yuzu as the most mentioned for male division, then I realised you are talking about R&J version 2 and not version 1.

I really liked this program too, and I actually rewatched the Olympic one more than GPF and Worlds (even though the latter was cleaner). Like you said after two falls at the beginning I felt he gave a really emotional performance for the remaining time to fight for a last chance at the Crown, which he got.

A Yuzu program that could be loved more - White Legend? It's one of my favourites, and while it's not unloved, is not one of those program that gets mentioned a lot. The oriental instrumental version of Swan Lake music always give me chills:drama:

rain

Record Breaker
Weaver/Poje's Humanity in Motion needs more love. After the success of their JSM routine the previous season, they decided to go in a different direction and worked with contemporary dancer Allison Holker to choreograph this dance. I especially like this first iteration because of the unique moves they incorporate into it. Unfortunately, judges didn't like it and they didn't make the GPF that year. Then Kaitlyn broke her fibula in training before Nationals and it was doubtful that they could participate at home Worlds. However, they were able to come back strong with a modified version and gave an emotional free dance to finish a respectable 5th place.

I loved this one, too. Of course, I also think their Four Seasons is one of the most choreographically brilliant free dances of all time, and I'm one of the three people who actually didn't hate This Bitter Earth. Everything since they left Krylova has been pretty terrible and generic.

From last season: Chock and Bates' Imagine. Man, did that program take a beating. I get that the vocals were unusual but they put such feeling into it.

I also loved Imagine, right from the first time I saw it. I was amazed and dismayed when I heard that I was in a pretty small group in that regard.

happycamper2554

On the Ice
Both of Kayne and O'Shea's Phantom of The Opera programs. I hate that music, but they put so much passion and joy to it both times. I ciould watch their free skate from 2016 US nationals 100 times and never be sick of it.

lizardlass

On the Ice
Yuna's 2007 Worlds LP. She fell twice towards the end, but I LOVE the Lark Ascending music, and I thought that was her most heartfelt performance of that program.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I was so into Plushy's Tango Amore, sure there was like no transitions, but dang it I loved every second. Especially the "weird" arm movements parts in the middle and even the body roll thing.

Especially the costume...I saw it on a worst costume list once and was so offended :laugh2:

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Yuna’s 2011 programs, Giselle and Homage to Korea. Specially the FS, it is so emotional(and I’m not even Korean) and it is so well performed, despite the mistakes. It goes to show the level of artistry of those programs, they have mistakes but they’re still perfect.

Pogorilaya’s Helsinki FS. It was a total disaster but I thought the falls perfectly matched the music... And Anna herself is very dramatic. Like watching a movie.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
I think the OP is asking for our favorite warhorse programs that aren’t objectively the most well constructed or choreographed or musically edited (rather than programs we enjoy despite mistakes in the performance)

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
I think Alina’s Don Quixote. I know it was juniorish and unbalanced but I rewatched it everyday anyway.

sadya

On the Ice
Country
Netherlands

It is my favourite FD from this team.

Weetos

Final Flight

Yes, I love R&J 1 more, and some of the later ones most.... but still. My soft spot for it (even the costume!), it is huge.
I love that programme, I love the music and Yuzu really gave it everything, so I always find it quite moving to watch, both the Olympic and Worlds performance. The costume is... fine.

Gabby Daleman's Carmen for the same reason. I haven't seen someone nail the attitude of Carmen that well since Katarina Witt. The whacky vocals could be distracting but I love it anyway.
Yes! I really enjoyed her Carmen, and I even, uh, well I like the whacky vocals. They have attitude :laugh:

A Yuzu program that could be loved more - White Legend? It's one of my favourites, and while it's not unloved, is not one of those program that gets mentioned a lot. The oriental instrumental version of Swan Lake music always give me chills:drama:
Love that one too, I've watched the Olympic gala version many times.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I loved this one, too. Of course, I also think their Four Seasons is one of the most choreographically brilliant free dances of all time, and I'm one of the three people who actually didn't hate This Bitter Earth. Everything since they left Krylova has been pretty terrible and generic.

I actually felt that Concierto de Aranjuez had some decent highlights in it but Spartacus did fall flat so I was glad that they brought JSM to the Olympics. This year, they have a very promising set of programs including a tango, which they have shown that they can do really well, and their FD will pay tribute to their late friend Denis Ten. They will be debuting these programs in two weeks' time!

LazarusPitHotTub

Rinkside
Controversial, I know, and it’s still not my favourite but I really genuinely loved Virtue and Moir’s Seasons in Sochi: https://youtu.be/yqM6-Fh-o-0

Medals aside it was a technically PERFECT and gorgeous skate that really showcased their journey and growth in the previous four years and is massively under appreciated and tainted in many people’s eyes because of it being held responsible for them taking silver instead of the judging.

I love it because they had all this pressure on them to perform and deliver and it literally couldn’t’ve been better. It was their story on the ice and they really put it all out there when it counted. Everything was seamless and to this day I still believe it it is the purest example that I have seen from them in skating skills. When I say classical program I want everyone to watch it, study it. I particularly love the exit from the twizzles at 2:21.

Beautiful. The reason given by many for the silver, but I love it anyway.