Miku Makita & Tyler Gunara | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Miku Makita & Tyler Gunara

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The one note I would give regarding the RD, which overall I love, is that I think it needs something more memorable in the last ten seconds. Once they finish the lift, they're kind of just standing there and then she slides under his legs and they both stand up facing the judges. I'm not sure what they should do instead, but the sliding-under-the-legs bit seems like it's meant to be the memorable bit, and it's not really.

EDIT: Their RD video has a weirdly high number of negative votes, which I'd usually associate with them running afoul of some other skater fandom, but do the Czechs they squeaked in ahead of really have that much of a fanbase?

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
The one note I would give regarding the RD, which overall I love, is that I think it needs something more memorable in the last ten seconds. Once they finish the lift, they're kind of just standing there and then she slides under his legs and they both stand up facing the judges. I'm not sure what they should do instead, but the sliding-under-the-legs bit seems like it's meant to be the memorable bit, and it's not really.

I looked at this piece of choreography again, from the angle in the practice run-through and it seems fine. There's quite a bit of in place dancing in the 'You Can't Stop the Beat' musical number so it's nice to see them incorporating that. The slide seems to take a bit of time to set up but the exit is nice, where while Miku is doing a turn, Tyler does a half jump.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
For want of a twizzle...

But overall this was a really good event for them, and I'd say they've put themselves on the map now internationally. They got a big boost in the GOE and PCS they were being given between programs, as I thought they might.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
For want of a twizzle...

But overall this was a really good event for them, and I'd say they've put themselves on the map now internationally. They got a big boost in the GOE and PCS they were being given between programs, as I thought they might.

Ya, the twizzle and they looked noticeably more tentative here compared to their Minto and BC/YK SS performances, which is understandable given this is only their 2nd JGP and they were already in podium position after the RD, an achievement in itself. A bit bummed for them but now they have the experience to better cope with pressure in the future. A silver lining from today is that they still managed to edge the Czechs on tech despite the twizzle error, with the same base value and negative GOE on twizzles. Agreed that they have gotten the attention of the international judges and hopefully also gained some more fans these past few days :).

Their FD: https://youtu.be/Ysgw69XrQ6s

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Very proud of Miku & Tyler this weekend. An outstanding RD performance! (I think the best they have had this season). And over a 21 point gain on their JGP total score from last season. Yes, the mistake on the twizzles in the FD was a tough one on fans with their being so close to the podium, but M&G are doing the hard work of climbing the ranks and proving their competitiveness. This was a great step.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Much more successful FD this time around, though as I suspected going in, given the momentum-based nature of ice dance, it wasn't enough to get them on the podium this time. Marjorie & Zach were fourth at both JGPs in their second season, so here's to next year.

In the meantime, their international scores will put them in a good place for Nationals (assuming they don't end up getting a YOG spot; Skate Canada listed scores rather than medals as their criterion, so in theory they could end up being sent despite not winning a medal).

litenkyckling

Final Flight
They've become my favourite Canadian juniors this season I have to say, and I really hope they manage a spot at JW

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
They've become my favourite Canadian juniors this season I have to say, and I really hope they manage a spot at JW
The way things have shaken out so far on the JGP, I think there's basically two streams to get to Junior Worlds.

1. Two of the top four teams (M/G, Bronsard/Bouaraguia, D'Alessandro/Waddell, Bashynska/Beaumont) will get to go to the Youth Olympics, and as the highest-scoring JGP teams (and both with solid prospects to medal at YOG, based on what we've seen of the competition) will probably also get two of the Junior Worlds spots.

2. The remaining spot will go to whoever wins the junior national title.

I think M/G are probably not getting one of the YOG spots, though with their rivals all still to skate their second events, it could still happen. But if it doesn't, they're in a good place to win the national title.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I think M/G are probably not getting one of the YOG spots, though with their rivals all still to skate their second events, it could still happen. But if it doesn't, they're in a good place to win the national title.

Pending the results of the last two JGP events, they have put themselves in a very good position with their PB score of 154.11, which is now the highest Canadian Junior Dance score on the JGP this season. They have improved both their TES and PCS in each program from their first JGP. Granted both B/B and D’A/W lost levels at their first JGP, so they can post higher numbers if they skate clean at their second JGP but after five events, M/G are the front runners for one of the two YOG spots.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Miku and Tyler had a very nice RD performance at Skate Canada Challenge, currently in 2nd place with a score of 65.92: https://youtu.be/0DFOjTQRBvo

They hit all their key points in their pattern and received level 4's on all their elements, except for their midline step sequence (level 3). With the little changes they made to their pattern, it feels lighter and crisper. I also like the new, very musical, synchronized lunge that they added after their rotational lift.

ETA: They scored a 93.61 in their FD and finished in 3rd place: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddb5M9fDYxs

Overall, I think they held it together well, skating last and hearing some big scores prior. They have improved their projection and speed. With their international scores and decent showing here, hopefully it's enough for the second YOG spot.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Miku and Tyler are going to YOG :hap93: -- per her Instastory tonight.

Congratulations! I'm so happy for them.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Miku and Tyler's RD from the YOG: https://youtu.be/X0HhossVvG8

They are currently in fourth and in the final group for Monday's Free Dance. Other than the error on the double twizzle in their midline step, they skated very well, especially considering they were the last team to skate in 3 warm-up groups that did not have an ice resurfacing in between. They improved upon their RD twizzle and lift GOEs. From the crowd's reaction to their performance and their scores, they won them over and hey, that's what counts on Broadway ;)

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Miku and Tyler's FD from the YOG: https://youtu.be/7H3-bTnLHYc

They finished in 5th place. They got some low levels on their footwork sequences. However, it looks like they are continually tweaking their FD to try to get their GOE's up, such as holding their arms above the shoulders in the double twizzles of their one foot steps and making their choreo lift more intricate, with a change of pose and adding some rotations. They will be skating in the team event on Wednesday, so they will have another chance to showcase it.

A few thoughts from them in today's CBC article:

Following their fifth-place performance, Makita and Gunara couldn't stop talking about how valuable their Youth Olympic experience will be going forward.

"We want to represent Canada at the biggest international competitions," Makita said.

Gunara, 17, from Vancouver, said they really wanted to deliver their best performances at the Youth Olympics as they continue their growth on the ice.

"We'll hopefully make it to the Olympic Games," Gunara said. "Being able to be here and represent Canada is awesome."

And some nice posts on the VIDA Instagram.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Miku and Tyler's FD from the YOG team event: https://youtu.be/0SMp5eZSun4

They finished 5th in the segment and their team finished 8th. They received slightly lower scores compared to the individual event due to lower levels in their combination spin and diagonal step (although Tyler did improve his one foot step to a level 3). On the plus side, they received higher GOEs and PCS from the judges. A side note, I prefer some of the camera angles in this version, such as capturing more of the straight line lift and choreo step sequence from the judge's side.

Overall, the scores and results received in the YOG may not be what we/they were looking for but I'm happy that we got to see them skate three times, giving strong performances under pressure and on one of the biggest stages. As mentioned in the previous article posted, this is a very valuable and motivating experience for them going forward.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Congrats to Miku and Tyler on their 8th place finish at their debut WJC!

RD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpQgEn9V9to
FD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2zWX2LkFWI

Aaron seems proud:agree:. They achieved a PB in their FD and went from being the third Canadian entry to finishing as the top Canadian junior ice dance team at this event! I think they should be very happy with what they achieved this season: winning Minto, producing good results on the JGP, skating in the YOG, and capping off the season with great skates at Junior Worlds. And they had to skate-off for their YOG and WJC spot, in which they came out ahead both times. Plus, their two dances are among fan favourites. Looking forward to their programs next season. They will have extra motivation with a JGP in Richmond and Nationals in Vancouver :).

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
They had the highest placement for a Canadian competitor at this Junior Worlds, so good for them.

I think for next season their music choices for the free should be more upbeat. I liked the Beth Hart program choreographically, but Miku isn't a Beth Hart-type skater, and I think that showed and maybe affected their PCS at times. Hairspray was a perfect fit, by comparison.