Pre-Marshall's Kwan Article | Golden Skate

Pre-Marshall's Kwan Article

insecureedge

On the Ice
Ice queen for life: at 24 Kwan keeps on skating (registration not required)

Ice queen for life: at 24 Kwan keeps on skating (registration required after a few viewings)
"[Nikolai] (Morosov) was throwing up ideas for combination spins. He didn't adjust the program or anything, just dissected it, trying to make things worth more.

"He brought papers onto the ice and we were doing the math."

Kwan called learning the system "a challenge."

"The creative process is limited," she said. "You sort of have to be your own judge on how to keep the integrity of the program but keep it difficult at the same time."
"The next two years, it is kind of coming to an end," Kwan said. "I have to go full throttle and see where it takes me. I have the benefit of release: I inflated the balloon and I've tied it to a string. Let it go. Now!"
insecureedge

Last edited:

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I'm glad to hear she is really working towards tailoring this program more for COP. The spins are probably her biggest weakness overall and I think more difficult combinations will put her in fine stead. I also liked the quote about the next two years. She sounds like she is in a positive place right now in her life and in her training. I wish her the very best during the next 2 seasons (especially in Italy)!

It's nice to read that she is waking up to the technical part of competitive figure skating. I mean there were signs about this way back in the 98 Olys. Then came the vastly improved Irina, the threat of Sasha (particularly presentation) the emergence of Shizuka, and now the revitalized Irina! Is there a podium place for Michelle?

It's nice to know that one is the greatest skater in the world (I believe Kwan is) but one has to realize that competition is just that. Lots of technical moves by other skaters have been shown to keep her from getting gold.

The jumps are solid, the higher degree of combos are not. The flying sitspin is not that dynamic anymore. All her spins need work. The question is: Is it too late?

Joe

"The creative process is limited," she said. "You sort of have to be your own judge on how to keep the integrity of the program but keep it difficult at the same time."
This is an interesting point, and one that I agree with. I assume from the context that Michelle is saying that CoP judging is limiting the creative process. In other words, that throwing in a lot of curlicues and doo-dads just to get a level three instead of a level two -- well, that might make the program harder to perform, but it does not add anything of artistic merit.

In a recent interview in International Figure Skating, reported by Laurie Nealin, Michelle says:

"The possibilitites (under CoP scoring) are really great, but it's hard. I don't want to change myself, to mold myself into the system because I've been skating like this for so many years and the older (6.0) system is what made me."

One thing that has surprised me a little is that there has not been any Internet buzz in anticipation of how Bolero might have progressed since the last time we saw it in October. We'll see in a few hours!

Mathman

nymkfan51

Medalist
Maybe there's not a lot of buzz about it Mathman ... but I can't wait! LOL

As far as COP and ceativity ... I think in some ways that it does take away the "freedom" of the LP. All these levels and moves to garner points almost make it seem more like a SP with required elements. This is one of the things that makes me a little apprehensive about COP. We shall see, I guess.

Bynx

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
The question is: Is it too late?

Joe

No!

Although, you'll have many saying "yes" and count her out
and then right on cue as always Michelle Kwan shows those
people that they never learn. Once people say she can't, she does!

After having seen the programs of the other ladies and watching
her Bolero program the situation is far less grave and dramatic
as some seem to think IMO.

Her spins and transitions are what needs work and that is
exactly why she went to Nikolai.

Michelle Kwan has always been a wise competitor which is
why she's lasted this long and at such a high level of excellence.

Believe me, she'll work it out and people would be wise to not
count her out or overlook her, but as i said, some never learn. :)

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
it's really a shame that she was unable--for whatever reason--to put her program out there this season in a CoP competition. It's one thing to be out there with paper and pen, calculating difficulty levels; it's another thing entirely to put your program out there for feedback and points in front of the actual judges.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Just out of curiosity -- is the 4CCs being judged under the CoP? Could Kwan compete there for the experience before Worlds if she wanted to? Would doing so give her time to adjust her program if necessary?

Bynx

On the Ice
RealtorGal said:
it's really a shame that she was unable--for whatever reason--to put her program out there this season in a CoP competition. It's one thing to be out there with paper and pen, calculating difficulty levels; it's another thing entirely to put your program out there for feedback and points in front of the actual judges.

She's already gotten some feedback and
I'm sure will get more after tonight's performance.

Michelle's done this all before.

At where she is I don't think she needs as many competitions
as others and getting her program out their a few times in
whatever setting never unerves her. So, I don't feel just
because she hasn't been in a COP judged event that
it'll affect her in the least.

I am a card carrying Kwan fan but when you get to adding up the points, Kwan is in trouble. I mean like there are others on the scene besides the usual suspects. Think Joannie Rochette, Miki Ando, Suanna Poykio, Carolina Kostner. OK, she seems to be doing something about it:: Arutunian for solid jumps and hopefully two 3x3 combos; Morozov for the transitions; Dean for the overall choreography. It looks good on paper, but will she produce a first rate skate? and will it sell in Moscow?

Forget the results at Marshalls. They are meaningless. Marshall's is just a run through for her and Sasha. It will show them what more to do with their programs and that is all it will do. The last analysis is in Moscow and will be the sum of all the parts in scorings.

I'm thinking out loud again, but am I not saying "The Whole Package?" and finally in points.

Joe

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Consider the successes of Jeff Buttle, Johnny Weir, and Eman this year. Consider that Kostner doesn't land much in her LP, and that Phaneuf won blowing 2 jumps. What Michelle has to do is dust off her spins, footwork and transitions. I expect her PCS scores to be very high...she just has to up the TES a bit. She is already doing a 6 triple program, which most of her competitors have not yet managed this year.