2018 JGP Canada Highlights: Your thoughts? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018 JGP Canada Highlights: Your thoughts?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
FWIW, going back to 2003 (corrections welcome):

JGPs in North America:

JGPs in Asia:

2003 JGP Japan - Okaya City
2004 JGP China - Harbin
2005 JGP Japan - Okaya City
2006 JGP Taipei
2010 JGP Japan - Karuizawa http://www.usfigureskating.org/Shell?id=59112
2014 JGP Japan - Aichi/Nagoya
2016 JGP Japan - Yokohama​

And BTW:

2008 JGP South Africa - Cape Town
2011 JGP Australia - Brisbane http://www.usfigureskating.org/Shell?id=59172
2017 JGP Australia - Brisbane

2011 JGP Final in Canada - Quebec City
2018 JGP Final in Canada - Vancouver

2008 JGP Final in Republic of Korea - Goyang City
2009 JGP Final in Japan - Tokyo
2010 JGP Final in China - Beijing
2013 JGP Final in Japan - Fukuoka
2017 JGP Final in Japan - Aichi/Nagoya​

TGee

Record Breaker
Thanks ice coverage for the thorough research!

While the finals do promote the sport regionally, I don't think they improve access for small countries so I would exclude them.

That said, it looks like there has been a non-European JGP most years, and if anything there were more gaps in the last quadrennial.

It does appear as though ISU would like to have both a North American and an Asian/Australian JGP each year.

It would be interesting to know what's getting in the way of that happening. [emoji848]

Would it help to formalize that JGPs (excluding the final) must take place on at least two continents?

Getting back to JGP Richmond, it was so delightful to see such diversity in the Juniors. One really gets the sense that figure skating is beginning to take hold globally.

And skaters from countries like Mexico, who struggle with a small number of full sized rinks, are nonetheless becoming increasingly competitive.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
everything's already been said leaving me with just a few (silly) observations:

kudos to lucy sori yun for skating in the sp to smash soundtrack (i loved the tv show)

izzo, oktar and lynette surprised me a lot :cool:

vetlugin and gogolove look like brothers

the disco czardas in the gumennik's sp is so hideous that it's actually beautiful

special mentions to harrison bain's flexibility.

P. S.: did the ferrari miss a pilot?:laugh:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thanks ice coverage for the thorough research!

… That said, it looks like there has been a non-European JGP most years, and if anything there were more gaps in the last quadrennial.

It does appear as though ISU would like to have both a North American and an Asian/Australian JGP each year. ...

This thread made me curious, and the length of the list of North American JGPs did come as a surprise :eeking: to me.

… While the finals do promote the sport regionally, I don't think they improve access for small countries so I would exclude them. ...

I very deliberately made separate lists for the JGPF locations -- which you and anyone else are free to ignore. I was not suggesting that JGPFs improve access for small countries.

As a matter of ROI (of my time :laugh:), as long as I already was combing through many years of data , it seemed harmless to me (YMMV) to keep a separate JGPF tally … in case it was of interest to anyone for any reason either now or at some point down the road.

Step Sequence4

JULLLIEEEEETTTT!
Final Flight
Just to continue with the JGP locations conversation, I think they need to be in more diversified locations. Right now we’re getting 6 in small countries in Europe and one somewhere else. Say we cut it down to 4 in small countries in Europe, 1 in the americas, 1 in Asia and 1 in one of the top skating countries (IE- rotates through senior GP countries) I think the locations would aid a lot of skaters with travel.

zounger

Medalist
I think the concentration of JGPs in Europe has to do with the overall minimization of cost per athlete to participate. I would like it to be more diverse, but it's costly I guess.

TGee

Record Breaker
I think the concentration of JGPs in Europe has to do with the overall minimization of cost per athlete to participate. I would like it to be more diverse, but it's costly I guess.
Cost for which athletes?

The ISU shouldn't be structuring the JGP series to minimize costs for Europeans.

My point at the top was that it was remarkable how may skaters from small federations in Asia, Australia and the Americas were able to get to JGP Richmond.

For them, it was an expensive trip, but much less than to Europe.

And these are countries where skating is growing.

Which is why having one in the Americas and one in Asia/Australia each season makes sense.

Even 5 out of 7 in Europe would be heavily weighted to favour lowered costs for European federations and skaters.

zounger

Medalist
Cost for which athletes?

As I said, overall.

Even 5 out of 7 in Europe would be heavily weighted to favour lowered costs for European federations and skaters.

As I said,yes.

TGee

Record Breaker
As I said, overall.

As I said,yes.
Uhm, your conclusion that more European events mean lower costs is assumes that the distribution of skaters (% European, % Asian, %Australian, % from the Americas) doesn't change.

BUT that's my fundamental point. Changing the location changes who enters.

Changing the location makes it financially possible for more skaters from non-European countries to attend. And we saw the positive impact of that at JGP Richmond.

I'm fairly sure that many of these countries don't use up all their possible JGP berths. They just can't afford to get skaters and coaches to that many European events.

zounger

Medalist
Uhm, your conclusion that more European events mean lower costs is assumes that the distribution of skaters (% European, % Asian, %Australian, % from the Americas) doesn't change.

No, that's not my assumption. My assumption is (i don't know the numbers so I will use hypothetical) if you have a pool of 100 let's say athletes and 70 of them are based around Europe then if you want to minimize the cost most of the events will be in Europe. Simple as that.

And I'm not arguing if this is the right or positive, negative thing to do. I just stated a plain financial reason that can be behind that.

If you exclude the north and south American athletes for everyone else it is more costly (or the same for far east Asian countries to go to Vancouver) but the athletes from south/north America where not even the majority there. Of course if you make an event in America more athletes from America will participate.That's obvious, doesn't even needs to mentioned it.

And again I would like an event even in Argentina or Brasil or South Africa. I'm not sure if that's the reason (I'm not ISU official), but I think it's the cost.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We have picked a winner and all the posters received a PM. Thanks again for participating! Get ready for the next one!