2018-19 Canadian Ladies' figure skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian Ladies' figure skating

TGee

Record Breaker
Can one not be her fan yet favorite her sp? Contradiction I don’t get.

Anyway this is all Canadian ladies.

Who thinks Alaine can best Gabby this year? I haven’t seen Alaine yet. If only we could inject confidence like a b 12 shot....
It's hard to know who Alaine will be as a skater this year.

As she puts it, this is her year of everything new.

She's moved to Richmond Hill in the GTA to begin a kinesiology at York University. She's living full time away from her family in Prescott.

She chose her new training location, the York Region Skating Academy (YRSA) to be close to her university.

Many of us had hoped she'd find a settled place to train. She hadn't been at YRSA long before her season debut at GTSA summer skate. I'm looking forward to seeing how she does at Nebelhorn.

This PJ Kwong Interview with Alaine at Skate Canada's High Performance Camp gives answers a few questions about how she's adapted her training and layouts to the revised IJS:

https://youtu.be/aIPrQ0-OsNA

nadster

Final Flight
I honestly have a hard time understanding why skate Canada doesn’t step in and do something about Champs.

On top of that, how are the skaters not seeing the problem and looking elsewhere for coaching.

I agree with what everyone else here is saying so I just don’t understand why TPTB just turn a blind eye.

Well Mcleod has had a history of whining about low PCS scores and UR calls of various skaters. The Vancouver Sun in the past has had articles capturing the whines.

That tells me that she is not willing to see the flaws in her skaters and the skaters pick up the erroneous message that they properly rotate their jumps and deserve great PCS when they clearly don't.

The first step to fixing a problem is admitting you have a problem. She doesn't see a problem and her students don't see a problem because they are being told there isn't a problem

TGee

Record Breaker
Uhm, I guess we can all agree that we here aren't looking for a happy breakthrough from any Junior Ladies at Champs.

What about other places?

Ice Palace, with Ravi, looks to be setting up as an elite training centre for women.

Quebec is super competitive, but it's hard for the risk takers with triples like Sarah-Maude to get out of the province when they are compared to pretty, consistent skaters with great SS and doubles. Now, with the new IJS punishing errors, I'm concerned it will be even tougher.

Looking to Ontario. I'm enthusiastic about Amelia Orzel, just in Juniors this season.

2018 Novice Champion at Nationals, and Novice bronze medallist at the ISU Enga Spring Trophy, Amelia's a bit of a diamond in the rough like her brother Conrad.

She's still at YRSA. From what we saw in the summer series, she increasing her tech levels and has URs to eliminate, but definitely one to look for at Junior nationals in January.

Haleth

On the Ice
Does anyone know if Larkyn is injured? Or is there another reason she might have pulled out of the ACI (a later Challenger)?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well Mcleod has had a history of whining about low PCS scores and UR calls of various skaters. The Vancouver Sun in the past has had articles capturing the whines.

That tells me that she is not willing to see the flaws in her skaters and the skaters pick up the erroneous message that they properly rotate their jumps and deserve great PCS when they clearly don't.

The first step to fixing a problem is admitting you have a problem. She doesn't see a problem and her students don't see a problem because they are being told there isn't a problem

Kelsey Wong is one of her skaters. Kelsey had a horrible FS at one of the summer comps, with URs on nearly all her jumps and two falls. After she got off the ice, McLeod seemed to be telling Kelsey she should do her hair a different way! No wonder her students don't improve....

TGee

Record Breaker
Does anyone know if Larkyn is injured? Or is there another reason she might have pulled out of the ACI (a later Challenger)?
I noticed this as well.

'Is she pulled?' is the question.

Did she get pulled after Skate Canada got it's ACI news release up?

Or, is it a weird IT error?

The entry list on the ISU page only showed Alicia as of yesterday afternoon. However, when I checked the date of update on that page it was in July.

Checking again now, what I still see is an entry list dated 20-07-2018.

So, an old list.

TGee

Record Breaker
Kelsey Wong is one of her skaters. Kelsey had a horrible FS at one of the summer comps, with URs on nearly all her jumps and two falls. After she got off the ice, McLeod seemed to be telling Kelsey she should do her hair a different way! No wonder her students don't improve....
That would seem to be evidence that McLeod just can't accept the feedback for whatever reason.

I hadn't noticed this interaction myself. I can say that McLeod generally seems to have good relationships with her skaters and seems to be quite kind after a difficult skate or low scores. This attachment may be one of the reasons skaters stay with her despite seeing poor results.

But at this point, I think we should let this drop.

It sounds like we all feel the same discomfort and frustration when we see young skaters with potential with McLeod.

It's been good to find out how many of us have the same analysis and are picking up on similar issues. Let's hope some of the NextGen and talent management team at Skate Canada intervene.

But let's move on.

TGee

Record Breaker
I noticed this as well.

'Is she pulled?' is the question.

Did she get pulled after Skate Canada got it's ACI news release up?

Or, is it a weird IT error?

The entry list on the ISU page only showed Alicia as of yesterday afternoon. However, when I checked the date of update on that page it was in July.

Checking again now, what I still see is an entry list dated 20-07-2018.

So, an old list.
Quoting myself to clarify, but I just checked the entries again.

ISU now has an 18-09-2018 11:04 version up -- still without Larkyn Austman.

TSN Skate on twitter seems to confirm this tweeting out the Canadian contingent at ACI 2018 minus Larkyn.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SkateTSN/status/1042425697938092032

I guess we can be sure she's out. But no information on why...

danse

On the Ice
Has Osmond retired or just tak n this year off? I realize she has done the best she thinks she can but I like her better than the Russian girls. I wish she’d compete another year or two.

And now that Orser has superstar Russian lady I wonder how this affects Gabby’s confidence? I used to tout her confidence and predicted she would shine and she did. Now she is struggling. What’s it like for her now to skate in the shadow of Evgenia? Will she get the attention she needs at the CC? Or does she train more with another coach? I hope this is the year Alaine shakes off the nerves and skates like we know she can. With the battles all between Japanese and aRussian girls we have to have at least one Northamerican lady getting some great scores.

I have not lost faith in Gabby but she did not look in shape at her recent challenger outing. I loved her dark brown hair- didn’t recognize her really with her new look. I must say I know costumes are not all that but I hated her costumes. Where is her huge triple toe triple toe gone? I really hope Alaine does well this year. I suspect she will quit if she falls apart in her big competitions this year.

Go ladies! I’m still watching.

What we have to remember is that this is the beginning of the year. The Grand Prix hasn't started... these competitions are to gain momentum and get used to their programs. No one I've seen yet looks guns-blazing and prepared. If we see Gabby or anyone looking like this come December, then there's cause for concern. My worry for Gabby is that her competitive fire will be "misplaced" for lack of a better term. Having Kaetlyn sit out this season may hinder Gabby more than help her. To have someone from your own country to compete against forces you to keep building and growing and unless Alaine or Larkyn have had an inspirational summer, I don't think they will be at the level of competitiveness that someone like Gabby would need to be against to grow and thrive. That being said, it's all my opinion. What might benefit Gabby, if she doesn't have one already, is a sports psychologist. It helped Kaetlyn immensely and I've heard of it helping many other skaters who have had in the past, difficulty keeping that mental strength, clarity and focus.

TGee

Record Breaker
^ Agreed.

TCC seems to target later in the season in general. The coaching team sees the programs as works in progress early in the season.

Far from a fixed approach to choreographer and layouts, they do significant amount of switching through the Challengers and GPs.

And even among TCC skaters, Gabby seems to peak late. Typically, we see her strongest performances from Nationals in January on through Worlds.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Giving a shoutout to Alicia Pineault after seeing what an engaging and musical skater she is at ACI. A very nice 6th place season debut with good scores and a beautiful 3Lz. She is definitely a contender for the two remaining World spots.

TGee

Record Breaker
Giving a shoutout to Alicia Pineault after seeing what an engaging and musical skater she is at ACI. A very nice 6th place season debut with good scores and a beautiful 3Lz. She is definitely a contender for the two remaining World spots.
I had the same thought.

She really needs another ISU event though. I don't think her TES for the SP met the cut off for Worlds.

But her SP in the summer at Championnats d'été was on track.

I hope Skate Canada will assign one of the later Challengers to her.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I had the same thought.

She really needs another ISU event though. I don't think her TES for the SP met the cut off for Worlds.

But her SP in the summer at Championnats d'été was on track.

I hope Skate Canada will assign one of the later Challengers to her.

She has a higher TES from last season that should be enough.

TGee

Record Breaker
She has a higher TES from last season that should be enough.
Actually, this year's requirement is TES of at least 27 in the SP.

And at AIC Alicia's TES in the SP was 27.39.

So, she has it without looking back a season... if by a hair.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just read that Mariah Bell is replacing Gabby Daleman at Japan Open. Is Gabby injured?