2018-19 Canadian Ladies' figure skating | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian Ladies' figure skating

skatenewbie

Medalist
Larkyn looked great today at Skate Canada Challenge: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6y6vlj?start=13460

Although she hasn't yet brought back her 3F into the SP, all her jumps were landed cleanly, fully rotated with nice running edges (she had some < at sectionals). She was relaxed, skated with good speed, and had nice spins. She looked quite confident with the presentation and in selling the program. I liked how she used the accents in the music. Larkyn seemed quite happy with her score of 62.22, which I believe is a PB.
her jumps looks beautiful! If only she can do 3-3!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just hope Gabby comes back. As lovely as Larkyn is, she doesn't have the technical content to place well at Worlds. Without a consistent 3f in her SP, she is in danger of not making the cut for the FS once again.

The only ladies to make the FS last year that didn't have at least a 3/3 attempt were Kailani Craine and Dasa Grm, but both had a clean 3f.

Ziotic

Medalist
I just hope Gabby comes back. As lovely as Larkyn is, she doesn't have the technical content to place well at Worlds. Without a consistent 3f in her SP, she is in danger of not making the cut for the FS once again.

The only ladies to make the FS last year that didn't have at least a 3/3 attempt were Kailani Craine and Dasa Grm, but both had a clean 3f.

I mean Canada is losing 3 spots in ladies and will likely end up with only one for 2020, which is a shame since it’s in Canada.

I almost think Keatlyn will come back next year and skip GP then do nationals, 4CC and bid adieu to competitive skating on home ice, using the only spot for women (which I’m fine with and feel she deserves).

Roo87

Medalist
I mean Canada is losing 3 spots in ladies and will likely end up with only one for 2020, which is a shame since it’s in Canada.

I almost think Keatlyn will come back next year and skip GP then do nationals, 4CC and bid adieu to competitive skating on home ice, using the only spot for women (which I’m fine with and feel she deserves).

I hope this is Kaetlyn's plan (to come back). Then she can at least get back 2 spots for Canada for 2021.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Some people are forgetting that Alaine Chartrand has a bye to Nationals and will likely make the team. She showed some solid skates at SCI and seems to be getting her groove back. She has the technical content and has placed as high as 11th at WC. Also, Veronik is recovering from injury right now but she obtained good scores at Finlandia, even with the easier triples. There's a chance that a combination of Alaine, Veronik, Larkyn, and Alicia could get good enough placements to earn two spots for 2020.

Ziotic

Medalist
Some people are forgetting that Alaine Chartrand has a bye to Nationals and will likely make the team. She showed some solid skates at SCI and seems to be getting her groove back. She has the technical content and has placed as high as 11th at WC. Also, Veronik is recovering from injury right now but she obtained good scores at Finlandia, even with the easier triples. There's a chance that a combination of Alaine, Veronik, Larkyn, and Alicia could get good enough placements to earn two spots for 2020.

I love your optimism, and I would love to be wrong but I just don’t see it happening.

Alain is the only one with the content to compete but suffers from UR, which seem to be getting called this year.

To make top 10, she would need to beat at least 6 of; 3 Russians, 3 Japanese, 2 Americans, Eunsoo, Lil Bet, Loena and to compete with Viveca, Mae/Laurine, Alexia, Yi Christy. All of whom have higher seasons bests.

Again I’m not saying she couldn’t have the skate if her life while others falter. I just think it’s an uphill battle and it would be for any of the ladies that seem to be in contention for those 3 spots.

I mean Allison and Michelle just beat Alicia.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I love your optimism, and I would love to be wrong but I just don’t see it happening.

Alain is the only one with the content to compete but suffers from UR, which seem to be getting called this year.

To make top 10, she would need to beat at least 6 of; 3 Russians, 3 Japanese, 2 Americans, Eunsoo, Lil Bet, Loena and to compete with Viveca, Mae/Laurine, Alexia, Yi Christy. All of whom have higher seasons bests.

Again I’m not saying she couldn’t have the skate if her life while others falter. I just think it’s an uphill battle and it would be for any of the ladies that seem to be in contention for those 3 spots.

I mean Allison and Michelle just beat Alicia.

Unless it has changed, the rule to earn 2 entries the following year when a Fed sends 3 entries is to have the top 2 combined placements to be less than or equal to 28. A skater placing 17th or lower earns 16 placement points. Therefore, one of the three ladies need top 12 to guarantee two spots, not top 10. 13th and 15th would also work.

In 2015, Alaine's placement of 11th maintained 2 spots, even with Gabby coming in 21st (11+16 < 28). For the years Canada has had 2 spots since 2014, maintaining them was not the easiest task (eg. 2014 with 24 placement points and 2016 with 25 placement points). The last two seasons were great as we had both ladies on the podium in 2017 (5 placement points < 13 to get 3 spots) and 2018 (8 placement points to maintain 3 spots). Even though the Canadian women have tough competition, having three women to earn two spots gives a margin of error versus having only two women to maintain the two spots.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Unless it has changed, the rule to earn 2 entries the following year when a Fed sends 3 entries is to have the top 2 combined placements to be less than or equal to 28. A skater placing 17th or lower earns 16 placement points. Therefore, one of the three ladies need top 12 to guarantee two spots, not top 10. 13th and 15th would also work.

In 2015, Alaine's placement of 11th maintained 2 spots, even with Gabby coming in 21st (11+16 < 28). For the years Canada has had 2 spots since 2014, maintaining them was not the easiest task (eg. 2014 with 24 placement points and 2016 with 25 placement points). The last two seasons were great as we had both ladies on the podium in 2017 (5 placement points < 13 to get 3 spots) and 2018 (8 placement points to maintain 3 spots). Even though the Canadian women have tough competition, having three women to earn two spots gives a margin of error versus having only two women to maintain the two spots.

Correction - It's 16 points if they qualify for the free and place 17th or lower. But 18 points if they don't qualify for the free.
Although I think it is quite likely that at least 2 ladies will qualify for the free, but ice is slippery so things happen (see pairs last year...)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alaine was 11th at Worlds in 2015, the same season when she won bronze at Rostelecom: she was in prime condition then. She is not the same skater today, even though she's rebounded some since last season. She does have the technical content, but she needs to deliver it cleanly, and she hasn't been able to do that of late.

There is no guarantee that Veronik will even compete at Nationals. She was apparently still fragile in her recovery when she re-injured herself at the Skate Canada practice, so even if she makes it to Nationals and places well, who knows if she will be strong enough to compete at Worlds.

Gabby even at 80% of her ability is still the best hope to hold onto two places.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
let's not forget that Larkyn does have a beautiful 3F... She was also quite often attempting (and landed a few times) a 3S-3T. However, she just skipped SCI with a sprained ankle.... SCI was just over a month ago... i would think logical not to assume her jump layout for now. Same with Veronik who didn't do either the lutz and flip in competition when she was returning. With the new rules, quality is everything and so many girls get called on their 3-3< that a good 3-2 may be enough...

Alicia had a very disappointing event this weekend.. I wouldn't call her out until the last skater has skated ;)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Veronik was out for almost two years with an injury and re-injured herself practicing for SCI. I'd think it very unlikely that she'll be back at Nationals with 3f and 3z ready to go.

Even with 3/3< the score can be high enough to get a skater to the FS, especially when the first jump is a lutz or flip. It's only when the result is 3/3<< that it's not worth the risk.

Alicia skated pretty well at the Autumn Classic, with a score of 159.70 (#69 on the SB list). In the SP, she got credit for her 3t+3t, but stepped out of it, then fell on the 3lo. She landed a clean 3z in the FS, but URd the 3lo and fell on a 3s.

She had a clean SP at SCI: 3t+3t, 3lo, 2a, and had a good FS, just a 3lo< and a doubled salchow, but she was last in the FS because her TES and PCS were the lowest in the competition. Even with a clean SP and a fairly clean FS, she scored lower than she did in the Autumn Classic, where she had two falls.

At the Challenge, in the SP she did only 2t+3t and fell---if she did that at Worlds, she wouldn't make the FS. In the FS, she must have put her foot down in the first combo, because she didn't get credit for the second jump. Otherwise, she again landed a clean 3z, but doubled the 3lo and Zayaked herself---the 2lo at the end of her third combo didn't count. She may have been nervous because she wanted to do well. But Worlds could be overwhelming for a skater like Alicia who doesn't have much international experience at a high level. If nerves kicked in at the Challenge, the pressure to skate well when Canada's spots for Montreal 2020 are on the line could be tough to handle.

As for Larkyn, I'd wait to see what she does at Nationals. I'm still not convinced about that 3f, and a 3s+3t that she landed a few times doesn't sound like a good risk to me. At least she has that first Worlds experience under her belt and the nerves should be a lot calmer the second time around.

Again, the best news for Canada would be Gabby showing up at Nationals and skating well.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
imo, consistency/cleanliness is going to be the key for our ladies, and also recovery in the case of Veronik and Gabby.

Gabby - we all know she can skate well and place highly. but she's a bit of a question mark right now because we don't know if she'll be back, and if she is, the state of her skating
Alaine - this season has been going better than the last, has been more consistent. she has the tech content to compete, but she has some ur issues. she has the potential to score much higher if she can fix some of those ur's. regardless, if she goes mostly clean, she'll still place well
Veronik - the question here is whether she'll have recovered enough to compete and what tech content she'll be able to include. she didn't have her 3-3 or harder triples back yet at Finlandia, but still scored well since she was pretty clean. Her scoring ability will depend on the tech content she'll be able to include due to the state of her injury and recovery.
Alicia - her main issue is inconsistency. if she can put together a mostly clean SP and FS, she can score decently.
Larkyn - has improved since last season, but doesn't have the tech content of some others, so cleanliness will be important. she seems to be having some ur issues, which will be costly with her lower tech content. perhaps she will be able to include harder jumps and improve her scoring ability. She's basically guaranteed a 4CC assignment, and she'll need to be clean there to get the TES mins for worlds.

We'll see how things go at nats.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Alicia skated pretty well at the Autumn Classic, with a score of 159.70 (#69 on the SB list). In the SP, she got credit for her 3t+3t, but stepped out of it, then fell on the 3lo. She landed a clean 3z in the FS, but URd the 3lo and fell on a 3s.

At the Challenge, in the SP she did only 2t+3t and fell---if she did that at Worlds, she wouldn't make the FS. In the FS, she must have put her foot down in the first combo, because she didn't get credit for the second jump. Otherwise, she again landed a clean 3z, but doubled the 3lo and Zayaked herself---the 2lo at the end of her third combo didn't count.

Not sure why you're putting so much weight on Challenge. I mean Alicia also skated at SCI and received 158.29, which is close to her ACI mark. I say its a good sign that she is saving her better skates for international competition ;).

Also, whoever gets selected for Worlds would very likely also compete at 4CC, which is a relatively short distance away, so less jetlag than previous 4CCs. They will get a chance to show their programs on the big international stage, competing against the American and Japanese women, which would be invaluable experience for all CAN ladies but for Alicia and Veronik especially.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not sure why you're putting so much weight on Challenge. I mean Alicia also skated at SCI and received 158.29, which is close to her ACI mark. I say its a good sign that she is saving her better skates for international competition ;).

Alicia had two nearly clean skates at SCI, while at ACI she had falls in both SP and FS, and more URs. You'd think she would have scored higher at SCI, then, since she'd skated much better than she had at ACI. But the difference is SCI is a higher level competition, and that's just the point. It's possible that her scores could be even lower for cleanish performances at Worlds, which is the highest level competition of the year. Alicia has limited technical content, which right away puts her at a disadvantage. Any mistake chips away at the limited TES she has. Alicia is 89th on the World Standings list; at Worlds, she'd be a newbie, starting early in the SP, and could expect low PCS scores as well.

Also, whoever gets selected for Worlds would very likely also compete at 4CC, which is a relatively short distance away, so less jetlag than previous 4CCs. They will get a chance to show their programs on the big international stage, competing against the American and Japanese women, which would be invaluable experience for all CAN ladies but for Alicia and Veronik especially.

Alicia and Michelle Long went to 2018 4CC, so it's not a new experience for them; they finished 13th and 15th in an Olympics-depleted field (Alaine was 8th). Veronik has already been to 3 4CCs and several Challenge and GP events as well, so she's had more international experience than any of the others with the exception of Alaine and Gabby.

2019 4CC competition will be tougher than last year's: 3 top Japanese, Korean and US ladies; Tursynbaeva, Yi Christy Leung, 2 Chinese ladies, Kailani Craine.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Alicia had two nearly clean skates at SCI, while at ACI she had falls in both SP and FS, and more URs. You'd think she would have scored higher at SCI, then, since she'd skated much better than she had at ACI. But the difference is SCI is a higher level competition, and that's just the point. It's possible that her scores could be even lower for cleanish performances at Worlds, which is the highest level competition of the year. Alicia has limited technical content, which right away puts her at a disadvantage. Any mistake chips away at the limited TES she has. Alicia is 89th on the World Standings list; at Worlds, she'd be a newbie, starting early in the SP, and could expect low PCS scores as well.

I wouldn't call her Skate Canada FS with a step-out, an awkward landing, an UR, a pop, and a turn-out nearly clean ;). And yet the judges appreciated her skating enough at this "higher level competition" to award her close to 100 points. At ACI, she was actually better than SCI in the FS as she had an UR and a fall but otherwise she was clean on all her other jumping passes. She also has a nice 3Lz with a clear outside edge.

I saw Alicia live at ACI and what stood out for me was her presence on the ice, nice expression, and connection with the audience. Surely, the judges award PCS for those qualities, under IN and PE components. Her better SP was at SCI and her better FS was at ACI and adding the two scores, for illustrative purposes, would give 166+. She has higher scoring potential if she is clean, in the 175-180 range, which could be good enough for Top 15 at Worlds.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She was skating in her home country in both ACI and SCI, so her audience connection would have been good there. Worlds is in Japan, where the fans are appreciative after the performance, but don't react much while the skater is on the ice (unless it's a home skater).

Yes, judges award PCS for presentation qualities in the IN category, but they take away from PE if the performance is messy (falls, stepouts).

Here's how she did at some other internationals not on home ice:

2018 4CC: SP 3lo↓ FS 3f!<, 3s<+2t, zayaked on 2t Score 152.81, 13th of 23
2017 US Intl: SP clean. FS 3f<, 3s<↓ Score 150.52, 6th of 10.
2016 CZE JGP: SP 3t-to+3t<, 3lo-hd-so, 2a-so. FS 3 falls. Score 125.21, 10th of 30.

That's one clean segment out of 6. None of the frees was clean. US International had the least errors and still scored in the 150s.

Her scores on home ice: ACI 159.70 6th of 22, PCS mid 6s. SCI 158.29 10th of 11, PCS mid 6s.

Because Alicia's BV is so low, 165-170 might be a reasonable projection for a clean program. 175-180 is pie in the sky---she'd have to get PCS in the high 7s, and as a newbie to Worlds, that isn't going to happen.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Some posters love to dump on Canadian women in the same way they dumped on Kaetlyn and Joannie, not so long ago. And look how that turned out! In the interim, Canadian women continue to improve with Larkyn and Alison having the best skates of their career last week.

While others get nervous I say, Austman4gold! ;)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Does anyone know if Gabby is even training and what shape she is in? Canada will be very hard pressed without Gabby to retain even two spots maybe one. What happens if all three ladies don't qualify for the freeskate which is probably maybe more likely than earning two spots? Certainly I hope Larkyn comes back strong and Alain surprises with a return to form. Gabby seems the real hope. I wonder if a show skater like Kaetlyn how she would fare against Alain, larkyn and all? Just a dream.