Biggest fanbases in figure skating? | Golden Skate

Biggest fanbases in figure skating?

StephenGfan

Final Flight
from what i have seen on social media tumblr,instagram,twitter etc:
Men: yuzuru/shoma
Ladies: med,wakaba and yuna and mao (when they were competing)
Pairs: Sui/han
Ice dance: V/M with a massive lead with shibs in a far second

on forums:
Men: yuzru/nathan
ladies: evgenia, yuna mao (when they were still competing)
pairs: S/M
ice dance: V/M and P/C (with P/C's being a little bigger)

IceBallerina

On the Ice
Yuzuru’s fan base blows everyone away by miles…

Yuna still has a pretty big fan base as well. Medvedeva has a giant fan base. Many who don’t follow the sport know who she is. Her meeting KPOP group EXO was huge on Twitter. I would say Alina has a rather large (and growing) fan base as well, especially in Japan!

Sasha Trusova (tiny boss) is jumping quads on her way to popularity. For a junior skater she has a massive spotlight on her, appearing on Russian TV and press conferences. I suspect this will continue as we lead into the blood bath that will be Russian nationals :)

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Yuzuru Hanyu has the biggest fan base by a massive margin. For ladies, Medvedeva followed by Zagitova, really. But nowhere near Hanyu's.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I‘d say it‘s Yuzuru Hanyu and then everyone else. In a far, far distance. In ladies it‘s probably Evgenia because many know her for her Sailor Moon routine and EXO meeting even if they aren‘t figure skating fans. Alina is gaining popularity, too, especially in Japan with Masaru and now her contract with Shiseido. Both girls are hugely popular there and they now appear in an advert for a popular anime show as well.

However, Yuna and Mao have big and dedicated fanbases as well. And Yulia Lipnitskaya is to this day known as the Girl in the Red Dress from the Olympics everywhere and even with non-figure skating fans.

Edit: interestingly many people think she‘s the individual OGM from 2014. If I ask them if they remember anything from Sochi Olympics regarding figure skating it‘s always: “Wasn‘t there a little girl dancing to Schindler‘s List who won over the Korean everyone wanted to win?“ And I‘m like: :palmf: But that‘s totally off-topic here so never mind. :biggrin:

Nika09

On the Ice
Obviously it's Yuzuru and Yuna-Mao duo.

And then:
Aleksei Yagudin. Who will deny his talent and ability to made people fall in love with his skating? And that smile! And of course, step sequences!

Yulia Lipnitskaya just in few months gained insanely huge fanbase. Thanks to her talent, beautiful/emotional skating, and star power that she has.

Daisuke Takahashi also had (and I believe still have) a lot of admirers from all over the world. Charming and charismatic style he has and his brilliant skating skills made so many people fan of him.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Look at their earning power to determine size and strength of fanbase.

Hanyu and Kim is leagues ahead of everyone.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Look at their earning power to determine size and strength of fanbase.

Hanyu and Kim is leagues ahead of everyone.

To be fair, Yuzuru and Yuna have huge popularity bonuses in the awards and high-level recognition they've received, such as the People's Award in Japan - it takes their popularity a step up from skating fans and moves it into general iconic-for-their-nation status (it will be interesting to see who the next one - if there is a next one at that level any time soon - will be)

Oh, and we have to also remember, there are a lot of skating fans in China and their online presence tends to get overlooked because it's so separate, so don't discount the Chinese stars like Boyang just because our media does...

vunhung3001

Rinkside
Hanyu and Mao-Yuna.
Look at the big number of bodyguards they need to protect them from media and fans everytime they arrive at airports or competitions.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yulia Lipnitskaya just in few months gained insanely huge fanbase. Thanks to her talent, beautiful/emotional skating, and star power that she has. .

I don’t think she’s done growing her fan base either ;)

https://youtu.be/JZcL6Do0ETg

We’re not the biggest fan group but we’re very loyal. The fan thread is still alive and will be if I have any say on it. It ain’t the size of the ocean :devil:

Yuzuru in my assumption has the largest most dedicated fan base at this point. I had a friend compete in Toronto at an event he was at and people flew from all over the globe and we’re nearly crazed...in a good way. His fans are loyal, emotional, and committed and I absolutely love it :love:

lichi

sui holding a deep edge
On the Ice
^ Yeah, I agree, Yuzuru has the largest dedicated fanbase.

I would say V/M and Yuna have more casual supporters (tune in during Worlds/Olympics) though. Yuna especially (aka. 50 million population of South Korea).

Nathan and ShibSibs also have a sizable Asian-American fanbase.

Edit: interestingly many people think {Lipnitskaya is] the OGM from 2014. If I ask them if they remember anything from Sochi Olympics regarding figure skating it‘s always: “Wasn‘t there a little girl dancing to Schindler‘s List who won over the Korean everyone wanted to win?“ And I‘m like: :palmf: But that‘s totally off-topic here so never mind. :biggrin:

It seemed like the team event overshadowed the individuals. Julia was all the buzz leading up to the games, and she came through like gangbusters in the team competition, looking like she was unbeatable. Plus, Plushenko showed who was still boss, before withdrawing from the men's individuals.

Nika09 said:
And then:
Aleksei Yagudin. Who will deny his talent and ability to made people fall in love with his skating? And that smile! And of course, step sequences!

I'm glad someone mentioned Yagudin. This was before there was such a thing as Twitter, Facebook or Instagram. Even back then, there were multiple fan sites devoted to him, and he had the largest international following at that time. World-wide, he was was more popular than his contemporary, Michelle Kwan. (Is this me saying this? :) )

Last edited:

WineHerUp

On the Ice
Definitely Yuzuru, Mao and Yuna. Their adverts are plastered all over their respective countries and they have some of the most passionate fans.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Yuzuru, Yuna and Mao.

Yuzuru is on a whole new level though, he's a phenom. I love to watch the Pooh rains and all the love he gets from his fans, it's wonderful to see. It's a lot of pressure too, but he's Yuzuru Hanyu, he handles it like no other.
:bow:

It's fun to Google "figure skaters' net worth." I found out that Madison Chock is the 13th richest figure skater in the world.

http://tsmsportz.com/list/richest-figure-skaters/

Also, that Maia Shibutani (born in the United Arab Emirates) is worth $US 7 million.

https://knownetworth.com/maia-shibutani-net-worth

This one I do believe, though. The richest Winter Olympian is Wayne Gretzky. If you can't trust wealthygorilla.com, who can you trust?

https://wealthygorilla.com/wayne-gretzky-net-worth/Would Wealthygorrilla.com

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's fun to Google "figure skaters' net worth." I found out that Madison Chock is the 13th richest figure skater in the world.

http://tsmsportz.com/list/richest-figure-skaters/

Also, that Maia Shibutani (born in the United Arab Emirates) is worth $US 7 million.

https://knownetworth.com/maia-shibutani-net-worth

This one I do believe, though. The richest Winter Olympian is Wayne Gretzky. If you can't trust wealthygorilla.com, who can you trust?

https://wealthygorilla.com/wayne-gretzky-net-worth/Would Wealthygorrilla.com

I did Google, and who knew there would be so many links to so many bad sites:biggrin:? Do people really care?

Anyway, for fan bases for current skaters, it is Yuzu, Yuzu and Yuzu. Who’s next doesn’t really seem to matter, since we have such a clear winner. The others are far distant ;)

mrrice

Record Breaker
Not anymore but, Peggy Flemming was extremely popular in the US. She had commercials and a TV Special here in the US. As a huge fan of Plushy's, I know that he is very popular all over Europe. Currently, I think the most famous US skater is Adam Rippon.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I'm glad someone mentioned Yagudin. This was before there was such a thing as Twitter, Facebook or Instagram. Even back then, there were multiple fan sites devoted to him, and he had the largest international following at that time. World-wide, he was was more popular than his contemporary, Michelle Kwan. (Is this me saying this? :) )

Well, the truth is, almost in every sport males are more popular than females. Through the years! In my opinion, ladies figure skating is on a better level today. Cause i really cant enjoy a competition with so many falls. Where all current male stars contribute so many times.

Well, the truth is, almost in every sport males are more popular than females.

In the United States at least, I think that figure skating is the one sport where historically (since the 1930s) the ladies have ruled. Maybe this is why people ask, "Is figure skating really a sport? How much of a sport can it be if girls can do it, and in frilly outfits to boot?

The only other sport I can think of where there is more interest in the ladies than in the men is gymnastics. I would say that tennis is the only major sport where men and women have a more or less equal chance at fame and fortune.

Ballade88

On the Ice
Katarina Witt, Gordeeva & Grinkov, and Torvill & Dean were very popular back in the day. They were able to cross over to the mainstream media internationally on a level that hasn't yet been reached by skating stars of recent generations, but that's probably because the international market for figure skating has shrunk considerably since those heydays.