2018-19 Ladies' power ranking | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Ladies' power ranking

lzxnl

Final Flight
It was. I’m still a little mad. [emoji34]

In the war between incompetence and malevolence, the ISU is funding both sides.

There are plenty of reasons to criticise ISU, and I don't think they mind any more reasons. But let's not get toooo carried away here.

I'm curious how 4CC and Euros will go compared to the respective nationals, given that for the ladies, they're ALMOST the same. Kostner and Tennell could play surprise at their respective competitions. We'll have to see.

FS101

Rinkside
UPDATE! Also sorry again for the poor grammar and misspelling!

1. Rika Kihira- +1
------------------------------------------------------
2. Alina Zagitova- -1
2. Elizaveta Tuktamyshaeva +1
(I think Liza could really overtake Zagitova, because of the Triple Axel and I think Zagitova' is struggling a bit)
3. Evgenia Medvedeva +1 (in the end, the struggle will pay off)
3. Kaori Sakamoto +3 (Very consistent, I think she could get higher scores later on this season)
4. Satoko Miyahara -2 (She still under-rotates, and it's going to be to tough at nationals vs Kihira and Sakamoto)
5. Bradie Tennel- +3, I think from her performances from this season, she is improving and I really like her Lutz-Loop combo but I think she hasn't peak yet.
5. Mai Mihara +1 (Very consistent)
6. Sofia Samodurova- One of my favorite skaters this season and very consistent! But doesn't have a high enough technical difficulty and very low PC's
7. Carolina Kostner- (no change), still has not competed yet but you always have to put her in the top 10 based of her amazing skating skills and high PC's
8. Mariah Bell- +1, She has improved so much!! I really like her SP; and FS song choices! But she needs to up the technical difficulty
9. Mako Yamashita (no change)
9. Anatasiia Gubanova (New, since I really like her skating from her challenger cup competitions and has alot of potential)
-------------------------------------------------------
10. Loena Hendriccx- had a good outing at GP Finland and I really like her FS and is one of my favorites this season.
-------------------------------------------------------
(11th to 13th would be Wakaba Higuchi, Eunsoo Lim, and Anna Tarusina)

UPDATE

I apologize for the bad grammar and spelling!

1. Rika Kihira (no change)
————————————
2. Alina Zagitova (no change)
2. Elizaveta Tuktamyshaeva (no change)
————————————
3. Kaori Sakamoto (no change, had an increduble outing at nationals)
————————————
4. Satoko Miyahara (no change, but the future isn’t brights. She should have have placed 4th at nationals behind Mihara since the under rotations were clear and their only going to get worse)
4. Mai Mihara (+1, very consisistent and under scored)
———————————
5. Bradie Tennel (no change)
5. Sofia Samodurova (+1, super consistent but she needs a more technically difficult program to score higher)
———————————
6. Mariah Bell (+2, I really like her programs her skating and has improved. But she needs to get a solid 3-3 even it’s 3 toe-3 toe combo
———————————
7. Carolina Kostner (No change, she finally is practicing again and with 4 weeks until Euros, I thinks she’ll compete and practically has a huge chance of getting on the podium. This is because of the massive PC’s she’ll get and if somewhat clean she’ll get at last a 210 which is miles ahead of Stasya and a bit ahead of Samodruova)
———————————
8. Stanislava Konstantinova (NEW, she is extremely pushed by the Russian Fed and I really don’t get it at all. She underroates often and sometimes gives a good performance. How she’ll place in future competitions for me, is really a mystery)
8. Evgenia Medvedeva (-5, the struggle will pay off. It’s also unlikely she’ll get more high level international competitions, so I hope she’ll atleast go to some smaller competions)
———————————
9. Anastasia Gubanova (No change, had a good outing at nationals and I really confused why Konstantiova is being pushed but not her. I actually really like her skating and her programs. But I don’t understand why isn’t CSKA isn’t pushing her for more international competitions.
———————————
10. Loena Hendricxx (No change, she has a scent shot of being on the podium at Euros if Koatner doesn’t show and could possibly be ahead of Stasya and Sampsurova because she has a PB of 204 which is somewhat achievable.
———————————
11th to 13th would be Eunsoo Lin, Elizabet Tursynbaeva, Gabby Daleman (I really wanted to include her in list and I hope she gets better and competes at Worlds)

I’m confused at how these rankings work. Shouldn’t each country be limited to their best 3 skaters? What’s the point of putting 4 or more because my list would be half Japanese half Russian.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Personally, I have more or less come to terms with the fact that all five program component scores are usually about the same across the board (regardless of the actual rules and criteria). If you have strong skating skills you can put those skills to the service of Interpreting the music. Many and varied transitions enhance Choreography. Confident stroking and edging is necessary to a convincing Performance, and so on.

I do not envy the judges their task in parcelling it all out.
I think there is no need for the skating skills and transitions to be part of the pcs. Those are technical aspects and should already be being judged as part of TES in the individual element and GOE marks. The PCS was supposed to replace the old presentation mark which was an artistic mark and had precedence over the tech score. The pcs scoring is being too technical now and throwing the balance between technical vs artistic presentation out of wack.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I’m confused at how these rankings work. Shouldn’t each country be limited to their best 3 skaters? What’s the point of putting 4 or more because my list would be half Japanese half Russian.

I had more than 3 for both Russia and Japan when it was not clear who these 3 were. Even now we don't have the WC team for Russia that's why I have 4 Russian skaters. But now that the Japanese WC team is announced I have left only 3 Japanese skaters in the most recent list.

I think there is no need for the skating skills and transitions to be part of the pcs. Those are technical aspects and should already be being judged as part of TES in the individual element and GOE marks. The PCS was supposed to replace the old presentation mark which was an artistic mark and had precedence over the tech score. The pcs scoring is being too technical now and throwing the balance between technical vs artistic presentation out of wack.

My understanding is that the CoP judging system deliberately threw out the old 6.0 "technical" versus "artistic" way of thinking. This was replaced by "individual elements" versus "program as a whole." The "program as a whole" (PCSs) have a technical part (SS and TR) and a presentation part (presentation, composition and interpretation).

This means that instead of 50-50 in tech versus artistry, it is now more like 70% tech versus 30% artistry. I believe that this was deliberately done to make the sport more "sport-like" and less "show-like." (The GOEs on elements do have a bit of esthetic consideration mixed in with the purely technical, though, so maybe, with the augmented range of GOE, it turns out to be 60% tech and 40% artistry over all phases of scoring).

tosca

On the Ice
I have been holding from adding to this thread but a glass of wine has given me courage.

Below is the order of my power ranking but I also put where I feel like a person can end up depending on how the rest of the competition skates:

1. (1-2) Rika Kihira - She has shown that she has improved her consistency from last year. With her high BV and the international judges' willingness to reward in PCS, she has the highest scoring potential of the field. That being said, she hasn't been perfect. She has had a major mistake in either her SP, FS, or both on one of her big elements. Enough mistakes or one boot issue can knock her from #1 with a clean field.
2. (1-6) Alina Zagitova - Her technique seems be on the decline as the season has gone on with her growth spurt in full force. The judges still are rewarding her with Olympic champion PCS which has been saving her (surprisingly enough). She hasn't always been a competitor with nerves of steel and in her last two outings, there seems to be real panic in her eyes that is also deterring from her performance. That being said, a clean Zagitova (or even one with just one mistake) has reputation on her side.
3. (1-4) Kaori Sakamoto - Coming in as the Japanese national doubt *hopefully* will help get her the GOE she deserves but also help improve on her PCS (which I also have felt have been a tad too low). Despite challenges with her SP, she has gotten the judges and the crowd on her side with FS (especially with the last minute). With nationals, she has shown that given the opportunity, she has the capability to walk through a just opened door. That being said, she has only had two outings that were clean but she has proven to be a fighter even if the SP goes poorly.
4. (2-4) Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - Pneumonia literally has cut into Tuk's stride this season. Losing not only on the momentum but training time and actual peak fitness, so who knows how will this end up. She has the BV but unlike Kihira, the judges still have not been as willing to reward in the PCS.
5. (3-6) Satako Miyahara - Like Kaori's flutz, Satoko is very much at the mercy of a generous tech caller. Her PCS has never been where they should be as as the GPF shows, a few mistakes not only affect her TES but her PCS as well.
6. (5-9) Bradie Tennell - Taking out the 3Lz-3L in the SP has been the best decision she made all season. Bradie has up'ed her tech but has proven herself to be less "consistent" that NBC has been peddling. Like Tuk, this is a skater who will need to rely on being clean with their current trend in PCS despite who leaps forward in improving her artistry and packaging.
7. (6-10) Sofia Samodurova - I know Russia has not named their world team but based on the GP series, it would be silly not to reward Samodurova. The quality of her jumps are nowhere near some of our technicians and her artistry is nowhere near are more emotive skaters but what Samodurova lacks in that extra something in her technical skills and performance, she makes up for in her consistency. That consistency will keep her close to the final flight if not within it.
8. (6-10) Mariah Bell - I know... crazy. She has shown in her last two outings that judges are willing to reward her in PCS, more so than her compatriots. Mariah will very much need be squeaky clean to improve upon her last two outings at worlds. Her placement will be helped by the absence of two strong Canadian women.
9. (6-10) Eunsoo Lim - Like her training mate, Eunsoo has the artistic qualities to make her a star but will need to be squeaky clean to build the reputation for judges to reward her.
10. Loena Hendrickx / Elizabet Tursynbaeva

Subs for my top 10:
Mai Mihara - if she was on the world team she would be in my top 10
Stanislava Konstantinova - if she was on the world team she wouldn't be in my top 10 but I could see her landing there
Carolina Kostner - Who knows the state of Carolina with all her injuries and lack of training time
Gabby Daleman - Inferring from her insta post, she will be at nationals. There is no other competition for her in Canada so she will be at worlds. Who knows how she will perform.

sanfan

Rinkside

I went back to the first page and didn't see it's a ranking for world championship. Isn't it just a power ranking?

Joekaz

On the Ice
My understanding is that the CoP judging system deliberately threw out the old 6.0 "technical" versus "artistic" way of thinking. This was replaced by "individual elements" versus "program as a whole." The "program as a whole" (PCSs) have a technical part (SS and TR) and a presentation part (presentation, composition and interpretation).

This means that instead of 50-50 in tech versus artistry, it is now more like 70% tech versus 30% artistry. I believe that this was deliberately done to make the sport more "sport-like" and less "show-like." (The GOEs on elements do have a bit of esthetic consideration mixed in with the purely technical, though, so maybe, with the augmented range of GOE, it turns out to be 60% tech and 40% artistry over all phases of scoring).
I guess that's why I prefer the older programs. More esthetically pleasing and less rushed. They weren't as concerned with trying to cram in as much as possible. With CoP it seems how you do individual elements and skills is more important than what the program as a whole looks like, which is illogical to me. More confusing for audience too.

I guess that's why I prefer the older programs. More esthetically pleasing and less rushed. They weren't as concerned with trying to cram in as much as possible. With CoP it seems how you do individual elements and skills is more important than what the program as a whole looks like, which is illogical to me. More confusing for audience too.

Me, too (bolded part).

But I have made peace with the idea that this just makes me an old dinosaur. The great majority of skating fans seem fine with the direction that skating has taken since 2002. The IJS places more emphasis on those aspects of figure skating that can be measured objectively (how many total degrees did you revolve in the air, how many Mohawks did you work in, how many times did you change edge and position in a spin) and less on subjective judgements about musical interpretation and the like. In principal this makes the judging less controversial and heads off criticism that "figure skating is not a real sport" because it is judged capriciously.

I take solace in the fact that a really fine triple loop is a thing of beauty even in isolation. :yes:

Last edited:

Joekaz

On the Ice
Me, too (bolded part).

But I have come to terms with the idea that this just makes me an old dinosaur. The great majority of skating fans seem fine with the direction that skating has taken since 2002. The IJS places more emphasis on those aspects of figure skating that can be measured objectively (how many total degrees did you revolve in the air, how many Mohawks did you work in, how many times did you change edge and position in a spin) and less on subjective judgements about musical interpretation and the like. In principal this makes the judging less controversial and heads off criticism that "figure skating is not a real sport" because it is judged capriciously.

I take solace in the fact that a really fine triple loop is a thing of beauty even in isolation. :yes:
In theory I would agree about the subjectivity part of your argument. But in actual practice that is clearly not the case. The scoring is just as subjective as ever. Just because they use more numbers it makes it appear more objective. But if you look into the criteria of how those numbers are arrived at,especially GOE, PCS, rotation and edge calls,you will see it is mostly based on opinion just like before. The reason the system was changed wasnt because people wanted the skaters to be more athletic,although that is the direction its taking. It was changed because of cheating scandals and was a way to make the scoring seem less arbitrary. However, the real problem was with the judges and people who run the sport. And those people and their corruption stayed the same. Just look at the many questionable scores since. Lol. Anyway you do it skating is always going to be a sport that is based on opinion. Just like any judging based sport, boxing for instance. I won't even comment on the fairness of that sport. Lol The best way to enjoy skating is to not get too concerned with scoring and just enjoy the skaters and their performances. My main criticism is that in the quest to score points skaters can lose some of the beauty of their program.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I don't miss old programs at all especially in ladies.

I'm sort of mixed. None of the top ladies under COP have come close to being able to balance the transitions, choreography, speed, and technical elements with the same ease as men like Yuzu or Patrick. You have skaters who have a lot of difficult transitions (like Alina) and skaters with great flow across the ice (like Rika and Kaori) but I don't know of any woman yet who has produced both. Once a woman does, I think I'll like COP programs more.

A change in the ranking for sure, and it's DEFINITELY Kihira's for the taking at this point.

I hope Zagi is fine. Something just slipped away from this season in terms of jumping, and it seems correlated with her growth spurt, although I'm sure the injury made it worse.