2018-19 Ladies' power ranking | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Ladies' power ranking

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Do you have a screen cap or video by fps? Her Lz looks still slight outside edge to me, and her -3Lo doesn't like UR. The axels didn't look shaky either and she held the edge for both landings for a long time. The 3 jump combo was shaky though. Her GOEs maybe be too high if you compare them to Liza or Kostner's jumps when they're on, but in comparison to the other GOEs from female skaters here and at ACI, her GOEs look alright to me because her jumps are actually higher and have more flow than others who are getting +2/+3. I'd also argue her spins, especially the FC, should have higher GOE than what she's given.

3Lo <

https://media.giphy.com/media/B2krbsnxVIeJwtMF3Z/giphy.gif

Now THIS is a fully rotated 3Lo from Alina: https://youtu.be/M-O9isTkWYQ?t=4m41s

Fluture

Record Breaker
I also think the Loop was underrotated, you can see it from the landing, it looks really shaky. But honestly, it‘s not like it would have made a difference anyway, she was miles away from everybody else at this event. So, yeah, I think they should call those things but overall, Alina showed her dominance and no one can deny this.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
A lot of these posts aren’t even making power rankings :laugh:

Sasha FTW!! #1

In power ranking I meant what the result would be if they all tomorrow face one another in a big competition like Olympics. Sasha is junior. No matter how strong she is it's not her season yet. Let's wait a year.

rikaquegira is right, that loop was short. Her lutz edge seems to have worsened, although sure I'd like a better angle. She probably still deserved to win.

I am more shocked this is a thing anyone's bringing up. Isn't everyone tired? Yaay, the judging sucks and it's not a real sport. Isn't it time to move on?

rikaquegira

On the Ice
rikaquegira is right, that loop was short. Her lutz edge seems to have worsened, although sure I'd like a better angle. She probably still deserved to win.

I am more shocked this is a thing anyone's bringing up. Isn't everyone tired? Yaay, the judging sucks and it's not a real sport. Isn't it time to move on?

you forgot we live to complain?! :ddevil:

:rofl:

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ok I have given this thread some thought.

1. The ice is slippery.
2. Fans of Gracie Gold and Anna Pogorilya are just glad they are competing. Just like I'm glad Evgenia did not retire.
3. I'm an avid book reader and I have never read the last page, so I don't want to know in September who will win gold.
4. This season is a book and I want to enjoy every page.

Ok I have given this thread some thought.

1. The ice is slippery.
2. Fans of Gracie Gold and Anna Pogorilya are just glad they are competing. Just like I'm glad Evgenia did not retire.
3. I'm an avid book reader and I have never read the last page, so I don't want to know in September who will win gold.
4. This season is a book and I want to enjoy every page.

Hahaha, nice one!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I guess we have different eyesight. :agree:

I’d give the skater the benefit of the doubt here. She fought thru it and completed the jump enough to earn full BV because it looks like it’s under 90 degrees IMO. If I were on the TP I’d let it go and hand it off to the judges to assess in real time. If I were on the Judges Panel I’d probably want to give it a +1 or +2 but would probably wind up giving +3 for the save which I will certainly admit I appreciate.

What does this have to do with power rankings? :laugh:

rikaquegira

On the Ice
I’d give the skater the benefit of the doubt here. She fought thru it and completed the jump enough to earn full BV because it looks like it’s under 90 degrees IMO. If I were on the TP I’d let it go and hand it off to the judges assess in real time. If I were on the Judges Panel I’d probably want to give it a +1 or +2 but would probably wind up giving +3 for the save which I will certainly admit I appreciate.

What does this have to do with power rankings? :laugh:

I don't know. I was just adding wood to the fire. I didn't set the fire though.
:rofl:

colormyworld240

Medalist

Yup that was UR. Looks about 100 - 120 degrees. Is the 90 degree rule still in place though, or is it still UR even if it's less than 90? I couldn't see it in real time though so maybe it looked less than 90 in real time, but I guess it depends on the caller, Amano would've given it a carrot and that's correct. Do you have similar videos for combo in SP and her lutz edge?

Yup that was UR. Looks about 100 - 120 degrees. Is the 90 degree rule still in place though, or is it still UR even if it's less than 90? I couldn't see it in real time though so maybe it looked less than 90 in real time, but I guess it depends on the caller, Amano would've given it a carrot and that's correct. Do you have similar videos for combo in SP and her lutz edge?

OK you just linked this in another thread, so forgive me for doing this, but:

https://youtu.be/ifssZ5CqeBg?t=2m47s

Watch in slo-mo. It might be very slightly outside, but it's definitely worsened.

Are you seriously using an example where she popped a 3Lz out of a charlotte to prove your point?

Prove a point? No, just giving an example. I already mentioned in my other post I'd need different angles to really judge. And, yes, seriously, technique on a jump won't suddenly change within a span of a day or two between the LP and the gala, so why not provide an example?

Anyway, we can wait for the next competition, why not. Maybe better angles there, and it could be a wrong observation.

neusw

On the Ice
Prove a point? No, just giving an example. I already mentioned in my other post I'd need different angles to really judge. And, yes, seriously, technique on a jump won't suddenly change within a span of a day or two between the LP and the gala, so why not provide an example?

Anyway, we can wait for the next competition, why not. Maybe better angles there, and it could be a wrong observation.

Well it's a poor example because the jump was obviously unsuccessful and from a very difficult entry. If you look at the other lutz in the Ex program, it's from the same angle and same entry as the SP linked from last year and looks pretty much the same.

colormyworld240

Medalist
OK you just linked this in another thread, so forgive me for doing this, but:

https://youtu.be/ifssZ5CqeBg?t=2m47s

Watch in slo-mo. It might be very slightly outside, but it's definitely worsened.

I don't think that was my link :laugh: but it's hard to tell, the popped one looks slightly outside or flat. But the first lutz looks slightly outside to me, I don't think it's a flutz. It will be much more obvious once GP starts with better angles and increased video quality.

Well it's a poor example because the jump was obviously unsuccessful and from a very difficult entry.

What does the success of the Lutz have to do with the edge? The transition can throw the timing, but it is certainly possible to have a better outside edge with a "difficult" transition before it. Here's one: https://youtu.be/naDdt4vKtUI?t=3m59s And a double lutz right after it out of a backwards sliding move to boot.

All that tells me is that her technique on the lutz isn't stable enough to be doing a difficult transition before a lutz if you insist on saying that the edge flattened because the back charlotte threw her off or something. Which isn't exactly a compliment.

Yes, she does do another lutz in the EX. It still makes me think her edge has worsened. Again, though, you have the excuse of angles.

I don't think that was my link :laugh: but it's hard to tell, the popped one looks slightly outside or flat. But the first lutz looks slightly outside to me, I don't think it's a flutz. It will be much more obvious once GP starts with better angles and increased video quality.

Oh, I don't think she's flutzing, for sure. It's a 3Lz(!) at worst. She used to maintain a shallow outside edge last season, IIRC, so it's making me wonder what happened. She pre-rotates a lot, and maybe it's affecting her ability to do so now?

neusw

On the Ice
What does the success of the Lutz have to do with the edge? The transition can throw the timing, but it is certainly possible to have a better outside edge with a "difficult" transition before it. Here's one: https://youtu.be/naDdt4vKtUI?t=3m59s And a double lutz right after it out of a backwards sliding move to boot.

All that tells me is that her technique on the lutz isn't stable enough to be doing a difficult transition before a lutz if you insist on saying that the edge flattened because the back charlotte threw her off or something. Which isn't exactly a compliment.

Yes, she does do another lutz in the EX. It still makes me think her edge has worsened. Again, though, you have the excuse of angles.

There's no need to get defensive about it being *possible* to do difficult jumps out of difficult transitions. Of course it's possible, there are hundreds of examples. And I wasn't trying to compliment her technique. Again there are hundreds if not thousands of skaters with better lutz edges than her. I'm only saying that the example you provided is essentially pointless to compare to successful jumps from last year because it's obviously not how she normally does it in competition.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
"2018-2019 Ladies' Power Ranking" would to me have nothing to do with the ISU World Standings from a previous season. YMMV.