2018 Australian Figure Skating Championships | Golden Skate

2018 Australian Figure Skating Championships

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hello! Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but while on YouTube I got a suggestion to watch the live stream of the NSW Figure Skating Championships!

I guess they must have taken the Victoria Ice Skating Association's lead because I'm pretty sure they didn't do this last year.

Here's their channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZRFEy7zSpqOT8-85sMejyw

The Sychronised Teams have just finished will be followed by the Advanced Novice group and then the Junior Men and Senior Ladies short programs at 50 minutes past the hour.

Sounds fun! :biggrin:

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The Junior Men's SP has just finished, and so far the standings are:

1 Darian KAPTICH QLD 47.20 // 24.10/23.10 // 4.65 4.50 4.70 4.60 4.65
2 Alex SUN NSW 36.21 // 15.46/20.75 // 4.20 4.30 4.05 4.15 4.05
3 Sam GILLARD NSW 35.65 //14.80/20.85 // 4.30 4.25 4.10 4.15 4.05

Keep it up, Darian! :)

Junior ladies is underway now.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm hoping to attend in person on Friday, but for now I'm watching the Livestream.

It's Advance Novice Ice Dance right now and I know the couple's coach I see him all the time at the rink when I go!

And the freshly zambonied ice looks so nice.

Also :laugh: at the announcer asking the single couple competing couple to leave the ice because the warm up's over.

PS also :laugh2: over the fact that one of the sponsors is Hungry Jack's when there's a huge Macca's symbol in the corner of the rink.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
William and Matilda killed it in the Junior Rhythm dance - they've been coming on in leaps and bounds this season and I'm thrilled for them. Hope they do it again in Seniors later in the week!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
PS also :laugh2: over the fact that one of the sponsors is Hungry Jack's when there's a huge Macca's symbol in the corner of the rink.

It is extra hilarious. Lots of people up in the food court watching the skates through the windows. Hope a few new fans get excited!

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I can't watch; I need to focus on my work today. But I'll pop in and check on the live score page now and again.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If you didn't catch it live, I thoroughly recommend watching Brendan's SP when they post the archived streams. 87 and change and he deserved every bit of it, it was magnificent.

Looks like there were technical problems which means no video of Kailani exists at this point.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Just watched Senior RD - disappointing debut for India Nette & Eron Westwood, she fell in the Twizzles and skated the TR poorly. 33.02 - 20 points off 2nd. They looked so good in their photos together, and I was disappointed when they announced they were skating for Australia and not GBR, but onwards and upwards and I'm interested to see their FD. Well done Coach Alan Abretti who flew all the way to Sydney! They train at Ally Pally and Lee Valley in London.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Just watched Senior RD - disappointing debut for India Nette & Eron Westwood, she fell in the Twizzles and skated the TR poorly. 33.02 - 20 points off 2nd. They looked so good in their photos together, and I was disappointed when they announced they were skating for Australia and not GBR, but onwards and upwards and I'm interested to see their FD. Well done Coach Alan Abretti who flew all the way to Sydney! They train at Ally Pally and Lee Valley in London.

They were skating in a pretty difficult position - last in the RD behind Chantelle and Andrew and Matilda and William, both of whom brought it with fire. I thought they looked quite nervous, but with a little more time and some mileage I think they'll be very good.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I was so hoping to be there in person today, but unfortunately my brain decided it'd be a great time to have a panic attack while I was driving there so I had to go home instead.

I'm watching the Livestream though, good luck Brendan! :cheer: Go Dodds brothers! Bring it James Min!

And Kailani was awesome! :points:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh, sorry you couldn't go, anonymoose_au! You missed a fantastic men's event. They all really brought it.