2018-19 Television Schedule | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Television Schedule

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
The managers probably feel that doing a LIVE broadcast overnight would cost too much in terms of the overtime pay for the staff that would be required. Cheaper to just play out recorded programmes, which could be set to start playing at a certain time in advance, meaning nobody would need to be on site.

Just gonna drop this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMxX-QOV9tI

CaroLiza_fan

Actually I work in TV. There is a department called “Transmission” or “Tx” which basically watch the channel 24/7 to make sure there are no technical issues and sometimes put up graphics if there is an emergency message that needs displayed.

Since Eurosport in Poland isn’t in charge of actually broadcasting the live event to could just get sent the live feed, so they’d just need at most one extra person to receive the feed from America via France at the beginning and could leave once it’s set up.

When I worked on a Japanese commercial that was broadcast live when the feed ended they had the computer set up to automatically place up an end card. So it’s the set up that’s the hard part and Transmission would monitor it.

Perhaps the Eurosport satellite can only transmit so many feeds? I doubt that though...

It’s more likely they’ve just chosen not to broadcast it for whatever reason.

Sorry my inner nerd came out! xD

Penny

On the Ice
Thanks for the Olympic channel schedule. Apparently, NBCSports TV (not paid streaming) is only showing men's and ladies' free programs. Olympic is carrying short programs and dance and pairs.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Even though I have an NBCSportsGold subscription, the evening events on Friday and Saturday on the west coast start at 10:30 pm on the east coast and end at 2:30 am. Normally, that wouldn't bother me as I'm pretty much a night owl. But I'm in the midst of moving this weekend and will be staying at a relative's home while waiting for the closing on my new house. My relative is not only NOT a night owl but also NOT a FS fan, so may not welcome the noise of competition past his 11pm bedtime.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks for the Olympic channel schedule. Apparently, NBCSports TV (not paid streaming) is only showing men's and ladies' free programs. Olympic is carrying short programs and dance and pairs.

Based on my review of the schedule, it doesn’t look like the Olympic channel will be showing short, dance, or pairs until well afterwards (like a week or more in some cases). Please correct me if I’m wrong. I did break down and get NBC Sports Gold when I realized that yesterday, but I’m not happy about it. (I had a momentary panic when I first looked at the schedule someone posted and thought men’s short coincided with a Caps game, but then I realized the times were put in PST. :))

s1alker

Rinkside
What's a pity is that there will be commentary on the Pairs SP when it's shown on the linear channels even though the actual event is evening time west coast America and middle of the night Europe. How they do this I don't know because I'm pretty sure Simon/Chris won't be staying up till the middle of the night to commentate it. Also I've always got the impression they do their commentaries live and at the rink - they're always making comments about the crowd size as if they're looking round the rink, and I get the impression they're very much old school when it comes to this sort of thing - I never get the impression they're doing it after the fact, even against a video.

Hence if this is the case why not get them to commentate everything and then do whatever it takes to get the commentary on the Player, plus if they do happen to show a highlights programme of something that was on the Player you'll automatically have the commentary - I also remember the odd occasion when a programme has gone out on Eurosport on the continent but not in the UK due to different scheduling and things and the UK Player has not had the commentary, but if Simon and Chris are commentating it for the continental programmes why not do whatever it takes to get the commentary also on the UK Player.

I really do enjoy the commentary of Simon and Chris. Wish very much that every GP event had it.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Looking at the Sky schedule for tomorrow - Live Pairs Short and Live Pairs Free immediately after SP :scratch2:
Can I hope they are going to show Mens SP instead?!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Actually I work in TV. There is a department called “Transmission” or “Tx” which basically watch the channel 24/7 to make sure there are no technical issues and sometimes put up graphics if there is an emergency message that needs displayed.

Since Eurosport in Poland isn’t in charge of actually broadcasting the live event to could just get sent the live feed, so they’d just need at most one extra person to receive the feed from America via France at the beginning and could leave once it’s set up.

When I worked on a Japanese commercial that was broadcast live when the feed ended they had the computer set up to automatically place up an end card. So it’s the set up that’s the hard part and Transmission would monitor it.

Perhaps the Eurosport satellite can only transmit so many feeds? I doubt that though...

It’s more likely they’ve just chosen not to broadcast it for whatever reason.

Sorry my inner nerd came out! xD

What an interesting post! Thank you for that insight!

Looking at the Sky schedule for tomorrow - Live Pairs Short and Live Pairs Free immediately after SP :scratch2:

It's a labelling mistake. The Pairs SP on British Eurosport 2 at 20:00 BST is just highlights. The Pairs SP will be held at 3:30 BST tomorrow morning (with LIVE coverage on the Player). But the Pairs FS coverage at 21:00 BST on BES2 is indeed LIVE.

Oh, and the majority of the Worlds highlights have disappeared from BES2. They are now showing cycling from 15:45 to 19:00 BST, with just an hour of the Worlds Paris FS from 19:00 to 20:00 BST.

I knew fine well that things would change in between me making out the schedule and the day coming! :rolleye:

CaroLiza_fan

deedee1

Record Breaker
Anyone knows live streaming available for Skate America, please? I'm not sure where to post this, but I can't log into Comp threads either... Sorry in advance and many thanks! :bow:

evasorange

Final Flight
Anyone knows live streaming available for Skate America, please? I'm not sure where to post this, but I can't log into Comp threads either... Sorry in advance and many thanks! :bow:

You can pay 60 bucks for nbcgold if you are in America. Otherwise you can go to Twitter and try to find a stream there...the tumblr so you want to watch figure skating might have links up

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom

So it looks like they’re showing the Men’s SP at 2pm tomorrow with commentary on E1. From the looks of it they do commentate on the whole event but it is cut down for broadcast. Which is frustrating.

s1alker

Rinkside
Been watching between whatever has commentary on UK Eurosport and CBC, which seems to have commentary for all the disciplines. Of course involves "cheating" a little to watch them :)

Miller

Final Flight
Just a quick heads up for next weekend. Looks like Skate Canada will be Mens and Pairs (and Gala) on Eurosport. UK will be bad, only Pairs Free live, but looks like highlights of all the others. Europe not so bad this time, except where Bundesliga live on Friday evening.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Just a quick heads up for next weekend. Looks like Skate Canada will be Mens and Pairs (and Gala) on Eurosport. UK will be bad, only Pairs Free live, but looks like highlights of all the others. Europe not so bad this time, except where Bundesliga live on Friday evening.

The problem seems Eurosport has a lot of live Snooker that they are actually filming the footage and have a set for an after show. If it runs over it clashes with the commentary highlights.

This happened back during the Euros. *le sigh* at least I’ve got Eurosport Player for on demand.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The problem seems Eurosport has a lot of live Snooker that they are actually filming the footage and have a set for an after show. If it runs over it clashes with the commentary highlights.

This happened back during the Euros. *le sigh* at least I’ve got Eurosport Player for on demand.

British Eurosport are the host broadcasters for the Home Nations Series, which is made up of four tournaments. They only do the full studio coverage for this series, and for the 3 Majors (UK Championships, London Masters, and World Championships).

Next week’s tournament is a Chinese one, so there won’t be any studio coverage.

Here is a table summarising the clashes between the snooker and figure skating on Eurosport this season:

Figure SkatingSnooker
DatesCompetitionCountryDatesTournamentCountryStudio
19–21 Oct. 2018Skate AmericaUSA15–21 Oct. 2018Home Nations:
English Open
ENGYes
25–28 Oct. 2018Skate CanadaCAN28 Oct. – 04 Nov. 2018International ChampionshipCHNNo
02–04 Nov. 2018GP HelsinkiFIN28 Oct. – 04 Nov. 2018International ChampionshipCHNNo
09–11 Nov. 2018NHK TrophyJPN05–11 Nov. 2018Champion Of ChampionsENGOnly on Eurosport International (not on British Eurosport)
16–18 Nov. 2018Cup Of RussiaRUS12–18 Nov. 2018Home Nations:
Northern Ireland Open
NIRYes
23–25 Nov. 2018Trophée de FranceFRA
05–09 Dec. 2018Grand Prix FinalCAN27 Nov. – 09 Dec. 2018UK ChampionshipENGYes
21–27 Jan. 2019European ChampionshipsBLR
04–10 Feb. 2019Four ContinentsUSA04–10 Feb. 2019World Grand PrixENGOnly on Eurosport International (not on British Eurosport)
18–24 Mar. 2019World ChampionshipsJPN19–24 Mar. 2019Players Tour ChampionshipsENGOnly on Eurosport International (not on British Eurosport)

It’s not actually as bad as I was expecting.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

Miller

Final Flight
British Eurosport are the host broadcasters for the Home Nations Series, which is made up of four tournaments. They only do the full studio coverage for this series, and for the 3 Majors (UK Championships, London Masters, and World Championships).

Next week’s tournament is a Chinese one, so there won’t be any studio coverage.

Here is a table summarising the clashes between the snooker and figure skating on Eurosport this season:

Figure SkatingSnooker
DatesCompetitionCountryDatesTournamentCountryStudio
19–21 Oct. 2018Skate AmericaUSA15–21 Oct. 2018Home Nations:
English Open
ENGYes
25–28 Oct. 2018Skate CanadaCAN28 Oct. – 04 Nov. 2018International ChampionshipCHNNo
02–04 Nov. 2018GP HelsinkiFIN28 Oct. – 04 Nov. 2018International ChampionshipCHNNo
09–11 Nov. 2018NHK TrophyJPN05–11 Nov. 2018Champion Of ChampionsENGOnly on Eurosport International (not on British Eurosport)
16–18 Nov. 2018Cup Of RussiaRUS12–18 Nov. 2018Home Nations:
Northern Ireland Open
NIRYes
23–25 Nov. 2018Trophée de FranceFRA
05–09 Dec. 2018Grand Prix FinalCAN27 Nov. – 09 Dec. 2018UK ChampionshipENGYes
21–27 Jan. 2019European ChampionshipsBLR
04–10 Feb. 2019Four ContinentsUSA04–10 Feb. 2019World Grand PrixENGOnly on Eurosport International (not on British Eurosport)
18–24 Mar. 2019World ChampionshipsJPN19–24 Mar. 2019Players Tour ChampionshipsENGOnly on Eurosport International (not on British Eurosport)

It’s not actually as bad as I was expecting.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

Just to add to this, I've been looking at the track cycling events coming up. These are the other ones that cause all the damage because they go on and on, and they show loads of cycling.

However it looks like we might be living a bit of a charmed life here also (here's hoping).

There's Track World Cup in Canada next weekend, but from the schedules already it looks like they're not showing too much.

Then the next ones, Berlin end Nov/start Dec, London mid-Dec, New Zealand 18th to 20th Jan don't clash. Only Hong Kong 25th to 27th Jan clashes with Euros but of course it's a much earlier time zone so we should be OK.

The other thing they've started showing much more of is 6 day cycling i.e. track events that go on for 6 days. This is not as good, but it looks like we should be able to muddle through.

There's one in Ghent which clashes with Rostelecom so that's not good. The only good thing is 6 day cycling is evening only, so events during the day should be OK, but Rostelecom, because of the snooker also, may not be so great.

There's also one in Berlin the same week as Euros, but at least there's no snooker that week. Also Euros is the second week of the Aussie Open tennis, but unlike last year they've at least reached the quarter-final/semi-final stage by the time Euros starts so hopefully we'll be OK there.

Finally there's one in Manchester the week of the World Championships, but because the latter's in Japan we should be OK there also, fingers crossed.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
You guys are the best, seriously. xx

Hopefully the guys at Eurosport are sensible with the schedule and don’t get anyone’s hopes up. Even if they show it at 3am at least then people can set there TV Boxes to record it.

Since buying Eurosport Player I’ve realised that only the stuff that makes it on to TV that Simon Reed (and Mark) end up commenting on. So far they done the Short and Free of the Pairs and the Free Dance and Ladies Free with commentary. But looking at the schedule it looks like the Men’s Free and Rhythm Dance will also get the B Eurosport treatment. I can’t wait.

EDIT: Actually I double checked. From the 27th onwards they will be showing everything on TV. So they did commentate on everything. I wonder why they don’t just put it up on the Player beforehand with commentary...

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I'm currently trying to make out the TV Schedule post from the Eurosport Player website listings, and I am pulling my hair out! A lot of the labels make no sense at all!

Like, there are 3 Player streams labelled "Original Dance", 2 of which are on at exactly the same time on Saturday morning, and the other which is on 24 hours later on Sunday morning!

I assume the Sunday one is the Free Dance. But, why are there 2 streams on the Saturday?!

And then there is the confusion over the time change. Does the Ladies Free coverage start at 02:00 BST or 02:00 GMT?

It is complicated enough making the schedule out for the time change weekend at the best of times. But it is even more complicated this year because one of the North American competitions is that weekend, which means coverage at or around the time of the change.

:hpull: :hpull: :hpull:

Not the way you want to feel on your birthday...

CaroLiza_fan