2004-2005 Injury List - 14 Major Skaters...Am I Missing Any? | Golden Skate

2004-2005 Injury List - 14 Major Skaters...Am I Missing Any?

cowboyboots

Spectator
I’ve included skaters who have competed in Grand Prix events, or have medalled at their National Championships. I expect there are skaters who are less known who are also suffering from injuries this year as well.

1. Ann Patrice McDonough - ??
2. Annie Bellemare – hip injury
3. Dorota Zagorska – dislocated shoulder
4. Elena Grushina and Ruslan Goncharov - ??
5. Evan Lysacek - break in the hip socket and a stress fracture in the hip
6. Evgeny Plushenko – knee injury, unknown illness over the summer
7. Fedor Andreev – back injury
8. Ilia Klimskin – foot surgery
9. Michelle Kwan – back problems
10. Sasha Cohen – back problems
11. Shizuka Arakawa - ?? (withdrew from Marshalls World Cup)
12. Tatiana Totmianina – concussion
13. Timothy Goebel - ?? misalignment of the spinal chord ??
14. Yoshie Onda - ?? (withdrew from Marshalls World Cup)

Is this many injuries normal for a sport? :frown:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
oh I'm sure it is in individual sports...

Ryan Bradley is also out with injury, he won't be at nationals :cry:

marika

Spectator
injuries

Skating, like gymnastics, has to be particularly tough on the body, especially at the elite level. The impact from the jumps on a hard surface in those rigid boots -hat's off to you all!

Kasey

Medalist
Andrei Griazev had a back injury that kept him out of EOI 3 in Simsbury and Skate America. And I think Vitali Novikov has been competing with an ankle injury this season.

Kasey

Kasey

Medalist
P.s.

cowboyboots said:
Is this many injuries normal for a sport? :frown:

Check out the "Injured Reserve" list any Friday in the paper before the weekend's football games! ;)

Kasey

IDLERACER

Medalist
As more and more emphasis is placed on "Triple This" and "Quadruple That" in this sport these days, it's not surprising that it's starting to take it's toll on everyone. Unlike gymnastics, where everyone is landing on two legs, on a wooden floor, cushioned by a padded mat, figure skating involves a series of one-legged landings on a surface that's as hard as granite. :eek:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
IDLERACER said:
Unlike gymnastics, where everyone is landing on two legs, on a wooden floor, cushioned by a padded mat, figure skating involves a series of one-legged landings on a surface that's as hard as granite. :eek:

I would though assume that a skater´s technic may help in landings a little bit? I notice that some skaters land very softly, like a cat, and a few others seem to drop like a big and heavy sack of potatoes on the ice...

Marjaana

brenlynn

On the Ice
Jenny Kirk missed her first GP event. Wasn't that due to an injury? Or was she just ill?

russell30

Final Flight
Hi To All,

Julia Soldatova having injury problems, will be difficult for Julia to get into the top2 spots at Russian Nationals, Julia did win the free program at Russian Nationals last year, narrowly won by Elena Sokolova.

Viktoria Pavuk, leg injury I think??, Viktoria is a huge talent and could cause a surprise at Euro's next year, should make Hugarian team (they are sending 3 at Euro's).

Stephane Lambiel, Injury worries, but Lambiel generally bounces back, and a skater that suits COP.

I did hear a rumour that Vanessa Gusmeroli is making a comeback for Turin, I hear she is in great shape, best of luck Vanessa.

soogar

Record Breaker
Vanessa Gusmeroli!!!!

I love her skating!! I thought she was the best of the French ladies.

Vash01

Medalist
I don't think Shizuka has an injury. She pulled out of EB because of boot problems.

Also I am not aware of Grushina-Goncharov having an injury problem.

Vash