Figure skating show coming to Netflix | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Figure skating show coming to Netflix

moriel

Record Breaker
The writers' room is 100% convinced that figure skating is all about the will-they-or-won't-they-land their jumps and have the perfect skate to create dramatic tension?

keep in mind that, for movies or even series, they have no time to go in depth about scoring.
In dance, it is very very hard to rank teams who are nearly same level - and you got to have teams nearly same level to create tension.
In singles and pairs, its kinda more obvious for a casual viewer.

Giver

Rinkside
A "Black Swan"-like psychological thriller about figure skating would've been so cool and appropriate... but no, let's make just another sappy cliche-ridden "sport romance drama". Ugh.

NymphyNymphy

On the Ice
Sounds terrible. Usual over the top dramatized sports movies. I wish there was a figure skating reality show with real life figure skaters though.

But that would expose ISU's corrupt inner workings. ISU would never sign off on it.

Orlov

Medalist
A "Black Swan"-like psychological thriller about figure skating would've been so cool and appropriate... but no, let's make just another sappy cliche-ridden "sport romance drama". Ugh.

But we are talking about the series (show), and not about one movie. It seems to me that stretching the scenario of "Black Lake" for the whole season is difficult. And it would hardly be watched by a mass viewer. This scenario is more beneficial in terms of promoting figure skating among the general population.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh it sounds frickin' awful.

More stereotypes, more garbage, more holes than a frickin' sieve. How does someone who is too injured to be a competitive singles become an Olympic-level pairs skater? It doesn't work. Especially for the girl. Yuck yuck yuck.

One day, someone will actually do some proper research, read up on the sport, and present us with a proper movie/Netflix series/whatever about skating that isn't just a pile of romantic garbage.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It really seems like opinions are divided on this show between those who can appreciate Le bad cinéma and those who are frustrated it won’t be realistic.

Me, I’m not so into realism so I may be in for a trashy treat. Spousal unit, for example, really likes a good sword and sandals even though most of those flicks, including “Gladiator”, bear absolutely no relation to anything anyone ever did in Ancient Rome.

I guess suspension of disbelief comes easy:biggrin:

moriel

Record Breaker
I dont think that realistic is a bad thing, or anyhow contradicts possible plots.
I Tonya is fairly realistic, and still is a nice movie for general audiences.

You can come up with tons of realistic drama that would make a nice plot. If they wanna pairs, for example, Rodnina. She started skating with Ulanov and won medals. Then Ulanov fell in love with Smirnova, and decided to split from Rodnina. While training for their last competition together, Rodnina fell from a lift, got a concussion and despite managing a decent showing at worlds, considered retirement. But then she decided to try skating with Zaitsev, they won tons of stuff together, beat Ulanov and Smirnova, got married and had kids.
You just replace the names, throw in some plot twists and you got a whole series here. And no unrealistic poo

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I'm still peddling my The Pyrite Stumble script about the incident at the Golden Spin of Zagreb.

I am deeply disappointed that Netflix didn't go with my proposal.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
A Biopic about Javier Fernandez would be SUCH an interesting miniseries.
:pray: Real Life is more interesting than fiction when it comes to Figure skating.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
[Not sure if this belongs in the Edge or the Cafe.]

I'm so here for this: Emma Roberts to Star in 'Edgy' Ice Skating Drama Spinning Out at Netflix

I love Emma Roberts on American Horror Story and she was the only part of Scream Queens that made that show watchable so I'm excited. Is the skating going to be cheesy? Probably. Will I love every second of it? Also probably.

Oooh! Emma Roberts! :)

Years ago, I taped the film "Aquamarine", purely because I knew that singer JoJo and a few people that I liked from Aussie soaps were in it, and I wanted to see what they were like acting on the big screen. But, I never got round to watching it at the time.

I found it again over the summer, and finally watched it. Unfortunately, it turned out to be your typical wee girl film, with over-excitable screaming teenagers. But, in between the cringing, I found that I liked Emma Roberts.

Ever since, I have been curious to see how she has developed as an actress. Is she on the way to emulating the success of Auntie Julia?

So, a figure skating programme starring her would be a perfect excuse to find out. Even if it does have a cringe-worthy plotline.

Just a pity it's on NetFlix, though. I have never been a fan of watching things on the computer because of the limitations of streaming compared to watching on normal TV. I can only just put up with watching figure skating on it because there is no alternative. And there is no way that I would pay a subscription for a service like this, which would only be used now and again (I'm not really into drama series, and I don't have the time to watch enough films to make it worthwhile).

Do NetFlix sell their programmes to TV networks at all? It would be great if they did.

I see "Reign" was mentioned in the article. Now, that is a programme I would have loved to watch, for the same reason that I wanted to see "Aquamarine" (i.e. there were people that I liked from Aussie soaps in it). But, it has never been broadcast in the UK, and by the time I discovered that it was being shown in the middle of the night on RTÉ, it was far too far into the series to pick up. :mad:

So, I've got my fingers crossed that sometime in the future these programmes will appear somewhere on UK screens...

...but I'm not holding my breath.

CaroLiza_fan

Nika09

On the Ice
I hope creators have any idea what Pairs discipline means, and that it's also requesting tricky and dangerous moves...jumps as well, if it's the only big deal for most of the people. And lots of the top pair skater ladies dealing with injuries all the time. And you can't do throw jumps if you aren't able to do singles due to injury (I'm not even talking about the fact there're also you know regular (sbs) jumps in Pairs as well). Because I feel like it's kind of underestimating for all those fierce ladies of Pairs skating.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Some things eventually make their way to itunes. I think, at first, they want to promote it's exclusivity but after a while it becomes about how much money they can make from it.

Um.. have you tried using a hdmi cable and hooking up your laptop or device to your tv so you can stream things but watch them on your tv? I used to be anti netflix (which can be accessed very easily through your tv if you have a playstation or xbox or there are devices you can attach to your tv that will access netflix for you. I'm always surprised that the quality of the netflix streams are very good.. not like the good old days of buffering and fuzzy pictures.

katymay

Medalist
i mean, they could just go to russia and film different coaches and their teams as they prepare for rusnats.
that is some high quality game of thrones drama and suspense

I wish they would buy "Ice Age Kids" subtitle it in English and broadcast it here. I also loved the Medvedeva documentary, Rus nats would be lit.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Some things eventually make their way to itunes. I think, at first, they want to promote it's exclusivity but after a while it becomes about how much money they can make from it.

Um.. have you tried using a hdmi cable and hooking up your laptop or device to your tv so you can stream things but watch them on your tv? I used to be anti netflix (which can be accessed very easily through your tv if you have a playstation or xbox or there are devices you can attach to your tv that will access netflix for you. I'm always surprised that the quality of the netflix streams are very good.. not like the good old days of buffering and fuzzy pictures.

That's actually how I watch the figure skating that is only on the computer. Through an HDMI cable to the TV. So that's not a problem. It's relying on the internet connection to be reliable that I don't trust.

I don't know what it's like in your part of Canada, but in my part of the world we are still using copper wiring. And the number of times over the years that workmen from BT have had to be called out to our avenue because the phones have gone off is ridiculous. And it is all because the wiring is waterlogged. But, that's hardly surprising as the gardens are too. (It also doesn't help that we used to have shared lines up here). The wiring needs replacing, and for years the workmen have been putting in requests to get it done. But the people in control of the purse strings have no notion of doing it.

Even if the phones stay on, the internet connection sometimes goes off. And it is really frustrating, because you can't even watch something from the On Demand service on Sky because it relies on the internet as well.

Thankfully, that hasn't happened for a few months. But, knowing my luck, now that I've mentioned it, it will happen again! :laugh:

Oh, I can't wait until the time comes that all the copper wiring is ripped out and completely replaced by fibre optics. But, that'll be well down the line. As with everything here, places that are West of the Bann (like I am) won't be looked near until everywhere East of the Bann has been done. :rolleye:

CaroLiza_fan

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
That's actually how I watch the figure skating that is only on the computer. Through an HDMI cable to the TV. So that's not a problem. It's relying on the internet connection to be reliable that I don't trust.

I don't know what it's like in your part of Canada, but in my part of the world we are still using copper wiring. And the number of times over the years that workmen from BT have had to be called out to our avenue because the phones have gone off is ridiculous. And it is all because the wiring is waterlogged. But, that's hardly surprising as the gardens are too. (It also doesn't help that we used to have shared lines up here). The wiring needs replacing, and for years the workmen have been putting in requests to get it done. But the people in control of the purse strings have no notion of doing it.

Even if the phones stay on, the internet connection sometimes goes off. And it is really frustrating, because you can't even watch something from the On Demand service on Sky because it relies on the internet as well.

Thankfully, that hasn't happened for a few months. But, knowing my luck, now that I've mentioned it, it will happen again! :laugh:

Oh, I can't wait until the time comes that all the copper wiring is ripped out and completely replaced by fibre optics. But, that'll be well down the line. As with everything here, places that are West of the Bann (like I am) won't be looked near until everywhere East of the Bann has been done. :rolleye:

CaroLiza_fan

*fingers crossed that your service improves* We all need to move to Korea. Apparently good internet is a right there.

I'm in Ottawa so the service is good here. I'm not sure what it is like up north. Probably pretty spotty.

If you can get it on itunes you can download it and then you won't have to worry about interruptions.

ejnsofi

Final Flight
[Not sure if this belongs in the Edge or the Cafe.]

I'm so here for this: Emma Roberts to Star in 'Edgy' Ice Skating Drama Spinning Out at Netflix

I love Emma Roberts on American Horror Story and she was the only part of Scream Queens that made that show watchable so I'm excited. Is the skating going to be cheesy? Probably. Will I love every second of it? Also probably.

It actually sounds like awful reboot of Cutting Edge. If we add to it people who made Reign and fact that Emma legit hit her boyfriend to the point of bleeding I don’t really wait for it.

But what annoys me the most is terrible plot. We have so many amazing real life examples even in recent years. TV series inspired by Javier Fernandez or Alyona Savcheko? Please make it happen

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Sounds terrible. Usual over the top dramatized sports movies. I wish there was a figure skating reality show with real life figure skaters though.

I work in film and tv in the camera department and it a minor dream of mine to do a documentary of the Grand Prix season, following several skaters across all the disciplines from several different countries. I think such a think such a film could be really interesting and help promote the sport outside of the Olympics.

However the problem is I don’t think the ISU would like it and I know most skaters would consider a camera crew following them around to much of a hindrance. Less reality TV but I think it could be interesting.

As for this Netflix show it could be good depending on who makes it. I just hope that it is 50% sport and 50% drama rather than the usual 10% sport and 90% drama.