Mental health in figure skating | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Mental health in figure skating

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Sport fans are probably angriest people in the world, and all athletes, not only skaters have to deal with backlash and rotten tomatoes. I remember at Fifa World Cup some fans were throwing bottles,spitting and swearing towards some player at fault of defeat of his team. Skating fans not yet spitting to the ice, that's some feat already:biggrin:

The difference between FS fans and football fans is that most FS fans are women and most football fans are men:scratch2:. That's why Fifa World Cup had problems like that. Of course, there are a lot of good guys around that would not spit and curse, still most, actually almost all mass shooters are males, and that's scary.
But going back to FS, mind problems are not more prevalent in women than in men. Anxiety, depression and other psychiatric diseases may hit anyone, and they are quite difficult to treat.

Manitou

Medalist
Two points regarding North American skaters.
1. It's a tough sport - extremely demanding physically and mentally and very expensive financially. And very, very underpaid. Practically no money comparing to other sports.
2. If you love it then do it. Skate for loving it, self fund and be tough. If you don't love and you are not tough enough then don't bother doing it competitively.

The first moment you start overthinking it's the yellow flag. The second moment you are overthinking it is the red flag. Then don't waste my time.

Manitou

Medalist
Don't waste my time...? :scratch:

Yes.
It applies to every area of life. I don't want to watch athletes who don't want to compete, don't want artists who don't want to perform or employees who don't want to work. They all waste my time and I offer no support to them.

ribbit

On the Ice
Yes.
It applies to every area of life. I don't want to watch athletes who don't want to compete, don't want artists who don't want to perform or employees who don't want to work. They all waste my time and I offer no support to them.

Then don't watch. But don't presume to tell them not to train, not to compete, not to strive to improve. None of us fans, who will never understand a millionth part of what elite athletes experience, have the right to do that.

Manitou

Medalist
To be fair, a lot of very successful athletes - who keep going for a successful career - have a problem with overthinking, as do high fliers and perfectionists in any field. Yuzuru has said more than once he does it, and one of my absolute favourite writers did it their whole life. While it may be better for them personally and professionally that they learn not to, it's hardly an indicator that they need to get out.

It's true what you are saying, but I love this Churchill's quote, which applies to all we are talking about here: "If you're going through hell, keep going.".
Yes, I oversimplified the "second overthinking". I meant to say: if you are having problems, just keep going.

DenissVFan

Medalist
We should show compassion towards the affected skaters, not entitlement.

Fans don't know their exact life circumstances and can't know for sure what is the best for them.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
It's true what you are saying, but I love this Churchill's quote, which applies to all we are talking about here: "If you're going through hell, keep going.".
Yes, I oversimplified the "second overthinking". I meant to say: if you are having problems, just keep going.
If someone had a broken leg, would you tell them to keep skating on it? Sometimes the mind needs time/space to heal and that doesn’t mean the end to someone’s career, the same way a broken bone does not necessarily end a career.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If someone had a broken leg, would you tell them to keep skating on it? Sometimes the mind needs time/space to heal and that doesn’t mean the end to someone’s career, the same way a broken bone does not necessarily end a career.

:thumbsup:

Depression and anxiety are illnesses, like a broken leg. They can be treated, like a broken leg.

Zippity do dah, bupkes and Jackson B. Squat to do with being tough or working through challenges. Other than it takes a brave and resourceful athlete to admit they need help, so they are tough and working through challenges, and I applaud them:clap:

Orlov

Medalist
Honored coach of the USSR Tatiana Tarasova commented on the situation with North American skaters who are experiencing psychological problems.

Earlier, the American figure skater Ashley Wagner said that struggling with depression. Last season due to psychological problems missed another skater from the United States – Gracie Gold. Canadian Gabriel Dalman will miss the start of the season because of the desire to engage in their mental health.

"Now a lot of girls from Canada and America have some psychological problems. And I can understand them, because it is on the transition from girl skating to adult is very increased technical component, because our girls in 14 years jump Quad jumps, Tuktamysheva restored her triple Axel.

Of course, psychologically it is difficult. You need to strongly keep a weight, and not only to keep it, but also to reduce. Because without this it is impossible to jump multi-turn jumps. Of course, their psyche has thinned out. Therefore, many, (and 3 people from the world's leading singles - it's a lot) went to different clinical departments of their countries in order to be treated for depression.

Because very large loads, very little can be eaten. And you're watching other people skating and understand that even you stop eating at all, you won't be able to do.

Each generation has its own leaders, each generation develops figure skating. Therefore, unfortunately, it turns out such an unsightly picture. Progress can not be stopped, but the consequences of it can be different," Tarasova said.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Honored coach of the USSR Tatiana Tarasova commented on the situation with North American skaters who are experiencing psychological problems.

Earlier, the American figure skater Ashley Wagner said that struggling with depression. Last season due to psychological problems missed another skater from the United States – Gracie Gold. Canadian Gabriel Dalman will miss the start of the season because of the desire to engage in their mental health.

"Now a lot of girls from Canada and America have some psychological problems. And I can understand them, because it is on the transition from girl skating to adult is very increased technical component, because our girls in 14 years jump Quad jumps, Tuktamysheva restored her triple Axel.

Of course, psychologically it is difficult. You need to strongly keep a weight, and not only to keep it, but also to reduce. Because without this it is impossible to jump multi-turn jumps. Of course, their psyche has thinned out. Therefore, many, (and 3 people from the world's leading singles - it's a lot) went to different clinical departments of their countries in order to be treated for depression.

Because very large loads, very little can be eaten. And you're watching other people skating and understand that even you stop eating at all, you won't be able to do.

Each generation has its own leaders, each generation develops figure skating. Therefore, unfortunately, it turns out such an unsightly picture. Progress can not be stopped, but the consequences of it can be different," Tarasova said.

TAT should immediately start a treatment for her compulsive obsession with other people's weight (look in the mirror, dear ;))

VenusHalley

Final Flight
TAT should immediately start a treatment for her compulsive obsession with other people's weight (look in the mirror, dear ;))

Yeah her comments on how skinny girls are fat in her eyes are disturbing and could cause lots of damage

Tutto

Record Breaker
Yeah her comments on how skinny girls are fat in her eyes are disturbing and could cause lots of damage

Already causing a lot of damage. Elena Radionova is rumoured to be retiring thanks to TAT's fat shaming campaign

Tutto

Record Breaker
where did you hear this?? if it's true that makes me so sad...

on Russian forums can't vouch for this info, what is definite though is that TAT made several comments lately regarding Elena publicly criticising her weight in her usual 'hearty' manner

VenusHalley

Final Flight
on Russian forums can't vouch for this info, what is definite though is that TAT made several comments lately regarding Elena publicly criticising her weight in her usual 'hearty' manner
If its true its very sad. I always enjoyed Elena's skating.... even if she was not clean.... her skates were so enjoyable.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tatiana Tarasova may be an honored coach of the USSR, I don't know enough to say.

if that is indeed an accurate quote, she knows nothing about Canadian and North American skaters and she knows nothing about the source of any psychological issues.

A shame that she would choose to display her lack of knowledge on these issues, rather than decline to offer an ill-informed opinion.:scowl:

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
I mean, I could see TAT having some sublimation related to eating issues.

Some of these skaters seem to have issues with performance anxiety and burn out, not just eating issues. And it’s not like the Russian skaters (Lipnitskaya) are immune to these difficulties either.

Orlov

Medalist
where did you hear this?? if it's true that makes me so sad...

https://www.gazeta.ru/sport/news/2018/09/09/n_12014557.shtml

At the General meeting of skaters after the control skating of the Russian national team consultant of the national team and honored coach of the USSR Tatiana Tarasova criticized Elena Radionova, Gazeta.Ru correspondent reports.

"Lena, you need to lose weight! You're a very talented person, but you're ruining yourself, and I can say that in front of everyone. You can't make yourself lose weight. You need to understand that with such an attitude you will not be needed by anyone, nobody!” said Tarasova.