Your top 3 all time Japanese single ladies and men? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Your top 3 all time Japanese single ladies and men?

leoleo

Medalist
1. MAO ASADA
2. Rika Khira
3. Wakaba Higuchi

1. Yuzuru - GOAT- Hanyu
2. Daisuke Takahasi
3. Shoma Uno

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
1. Mao Asada
2. Asada Mao
3. Mao-chan

1. Yuzuru Hanyu
2. Yuzu
3. 羽生結弦

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm always so saddened by how Fumie is less remembered than her co-patriots, she should be up there making it hard for people to choose just 3 skaters. She had great artistry and many memorable and well choreographed programs. I'll admit I made fun of her a bit too for competing so long but she really had that competitive fire.

It was a bit unfortunate that she did face some ridicule for still wanting to compete - and I see the same ridicule directed to skaters like Narumi Takahashi who are sticking around, or skaters like Emanuel Sandhu when they wanted to compete at Nationals again. Gotta give these athletes respect for trying. If Daisuke doesn't perform well, I would hope that people commend him for trying to be competitive, instead of deride him for being not as good as he was at his peak (which is hard to expect any skater to be, especially those coming out of retirement).

Here's Fumie's SP from 2010 Japan Nationals which placed 5th in the segment -- this was her 13th year of competition, a couple days shy of her 30th birthday -- where she ended up a respectable 7th. Not many 30 year old female skaters are still able to do a 3Z and 3F! Love the smile at 3:26 after her clean skate. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymZbzI_xw28

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Fumie even medaled at nats and went to worlds in 2009. That was not an easy task for someone who was 29yo and was competing in Japan.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
It was a bit unfortunate that she did face some ridicule for still wanting to compete - and I see the same ridicule directed to skaters like Narumi Takahashi who are sticking around, or skaters like Emanuel Sandhu when they wanted to compete at Nationals again. Gotta give these athletes respect for trying. If Daisuke doesn't perform well, I would hope that people commend him for trying to be competitive, instead of deride him for being not as good as he was at his peak (which is hard to expect any skater to be, especially those coming out of retirement).

Sorry to get off-topic, but what? Narumi is still competing? Last I heard she retired some time last season I believe. Where is the info from?

FanFan3256

Rinkside
Ladies : 1. Ito 2. Asada 3. Arakawa
Men: 1. Takahashi 2. Hanyu 3. Shoma

There are some many Japanese skaters that contributed to putting /keeping Japan on the map for excellence in figure skating.

newyn

On the Ice
Men:

Takahiko Kozuka - Skating skills, and all the rest. Some of his programs are my all time favorites.
Yuzuru Hanyu - Because he is so successful, and also because he is a fascinating person to follow. He can be goofy and boyish one moment and intense and fierce competitor the next.
Daisuke Takahashi - A rock star on ice.

Ladies:

Mao Asada - Triple axel, amazing spins, skating skills, artistry and moving performances.
Mai Mihara - Lovely skating skills, lovely programs.
Shizuka Arakawa - Oly gold

Weathergal

Medalist
Ladies
Akiko Suzuki
Mao Asada
Satoko Miyahara

Men
Daisuke Takahashi
Takahiko Kozuka
Yuzuru Hanyu

loop9497

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Men:

1. Daisuke Takahashi - artistic soul, one of the most elegant & beautiful skaters of all time, fully embodied his routines
2. Yuzuru Hanyu - beautiful technical mastery tied together with confident showmanship
3. Shoma Uno - pretty similar to Daisuke, totally puts himself into his programs, very artistic

Women:
1. Mao Asada - extremely graceful and such a joy to watch, one of the great artists of the sport, like Daisuke put her whole soul into it
2. Shizuka Arakawa - very ethereal, one of the smoothest skaters
3. Fumie Suguri - lovely graceful skater who I enjoyed and was one of the trailblazers for Japanese skaters, I remember her skating to Moonlight Sonata

Honorable mentions:

Takeshi Honda (smooth jumps), Yukina Ota (adored her when I first saw her, just didn't get to see much of her and her competitive career was short), Yuka Sato (became of fan of hers through her professional skating career, such a smooth and solid skater, graceful in style and general skating moves)