A season of “rebranding” for USA’s Camden Pulkinen | Golden Skate

A season of “rebranding” for USA’s Camden Pulkinen

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
USA’s Camden Pulkinen, who had a strong season last year, qualified again for the Junior Grand Prix (JGP) Final which will be held in Vancouver, BC, in December. The skater will debut as a senior at the national level and will also be competing at his first international senior event—the 2018 Inge Solar Memorial / Alpen Trophy—in Innsbruck, Austria, next month.

More...

“I know my skating is a little introverted,” he admitted. “I want to look up into the crowd more and produce movements that rise into the stadium and that’s something I need to work on. I think with time and experience, it will improve.”

Congrats to him on the CS event! :cheer2:

Great interview. He seems like a thoughtful soul who knows where he is headed. (He even looks a little like Stphane Lambiel, so I hope that the collaboration works out. :) )

zebobes

Final Flight
I thought his parents background was interesting. Camden has a very striking look, and I was guessing his last name was Finnish, but he didn't look completely Finnish to me. Is his mother Asian, or was she just born in Thailand?

In the end, his ethnicity doesn't really matter, I'm his fan regardless.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I didn't pay attention to junior man at and this is my first time heard about hime. With the current top American men, staying in junior is a good choice for him. At a glance, he reminds me of Han Yan a little bit. Does he have any Native Indian or Asian ancestor in his family?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't pay attention to junior man at and this is my first time heard about hime. With the current top American men, staying in junior is a good choice for him. At a glance, he reminds me of Han Yan a little bit. Does he have any Native Indian or Asian ancestor in his family?

The article says that his mother is Thai. He certainly is a striking looking young man.

ETA: And this is not related to your post, but also very self aware. I'm impressed that Camden understands that his performance skills need strengthening and that he is committed to trying new programs. Certainly Lambiel is a great one to learn from, for that, as well as spending time with Deniss V.:thumbsup:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Camden is a Hapa, more reason to love him! #HapaRolemodelsformykid

I’ve enjoyed his skating so much this season. Can’t wait to see him in the GPF.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Camden is a Hapa, more reason to love him! #HapaRolemodelsformykid

I’ve enjoyed his skating so much this season. Can’t wait to see him in the GPF.

Hapa? Half Pacific (islander) Asian???

(I know Google is my friend. Easier just to ask;) )

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hapa? Half Pacific (islander) Asian???

(I know Google is my friend. Easier just to ask;) )

Hapa is Hawaiian for “half,” but generally means anyone of mixed race. A lot of Asians use it these days.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I thought his parents background was interesting. Camden has a very striking look, and I was guessing his last name was Finnish, but he didn't look completely Finnish to me. Is his mother Asian, or was she just born in Thailand? ...

Appreciate that you are a careful reader, zebobes. :bow: :cool:

Camden's mother (very friendly person :ghug:) has Asian features [ETA: to my eyes, and I myself have Asian blood], so I do believe that she is Asian.
But I get your point that "born in Thailand" does not exclude the possibility of being non-Asian.

… In the end, his ethnicity doesn't really matter, I'm his fan regardless.

:agree: Love Camden. :luv17:

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
Camden seems very mature for his age which is nice to see. I really enjoyed his skating in the JGP this season, he is definitely one of my favorites among current junior men and I did not know his SP was choreographed by Stephane! Now it makes sense why I LOVED it so much :biggrin:

One quote that particularly struck me (about skating to Westside Story)
It was a weird decision because I never expected myself to skate to Broadway show music,” the skater added. “I don’t see myself as that type of skater, but I think the reason that I did choose it is because I don’t see myself as that type of skater. But you don’t really succeed if you don’t take risks

He's so amazingly aware!

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And the quote that struck me was the one before that (not just paraphrasing)

I know I need to reach out to the audience, I know I need to do more than just introspective programs, I know I need to take risks. Skating is so much more than the technical.

He is so wise to know that risks do not just encompass “technical” risks. With an attitude like that :clap:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I thought his parents background was interesting. Camden has a very striking look, and I was guessing his last name was Finnish, but he didn't look completely Finnish to me. Is his mother Asian, or was she just born in Thailand?

In the end, his ethnicity doesn't really matter, I'm his fan regardless.

As I saw his last name for the first time I knew there must be a male Finn somewhere in his family, LOL. The name has been Pulkkinen originally.

Great interview!!!