TES minimums for 2019 ISU championships and 2019/20 GP dates | Page 2 | Golden Skate

TES minimums for 2019 ISU championships and 2019/20 GP dates

PinkElephants

Rinkside
Forgive for going off-topic (and the stupid question), but how do Juniors even get picked for the GPs? Say you're a new Junior but you're in a teeny tiny country with no skaters and you're the only person at nationals, but you meet the requirements, how does ISU even know to invite you? Do they go through a list of some sort or :confused:

icybear

Medalist
I dont know why ISU keeps giving events for France when they have such an atrocious organizing committee. Their GP last year was so laughably bad. The medal ceremony was like it was from a school competition. I hope they pick up their standards although I wont be surprised if they give out medals cut out from laminated paper attached to a string this year

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Forgive for going off-topic (and the stupid question), but how do Juniors even get picked for the GPs? Say you're a new Junior but you're in a teeny tiny country with no skaters and you're the only person at nationals, but you meet the requirements, how does ISU even know to invite you? Do they go through a list of some sort or :confused:

Do you mean for the JGP? Skaters aren't invited to that; they're assigned by their federations, sometimes after meeting internal criteria such as a test skate. Each federation has a certain number of spots available in each discipline based on how their skater/s in that discipline placed at the previous season's Junior Worlds, though.

If you mean skaters moving from juniors to seniors, the majority of new seniors don't get invited to the GP straight off. If they win Junior Worlds in their discipline, most of the time they'll get invited to at least one event or get a host pick spot, but otherwise they have to put in their time skating at Senior Bs and Challengers, getting their FCCs and Worlds minimums, and working their way up the standings inside their own countries until they start to get assigned to championships, and then place high enough at Worlds/on the Season's Best list to be eligible for an invitation. It can be a long, slow process.

ETA: The ISU does keep a formal list of the best 5 skaters in each discipline from each Federation based on each season's Nationals results (or up to 5 - not all federations have that many per discipline), but only for Seniors.

Nirti

Medalist
So then, you probably know what the likely venue will be. Read: will we have proper seats this time?

This is a good question! I'm usually on the ice there, not on the seats :biggrin:

The "Iceberg" ice rink was built in 2005 and the local ice hockey club plays at the first level in french hockey since this period.
There's the possibility to have between 1200 and 2400 seats.
There's an olympic-sized rink (1830m²) and one other rink (1500m²).

Here's more informations : http://www.archi-wiki.org/Adresse:Patinoire_l'Iceberg_(Strasbourg)
And the official website of the Iceberg : https://www.strasbourg.eu/patinoire-iceberg

Just a "problem" to mention in Strasbourg in december : There's the Christmas Markt :biggrin: So the hotels are quick full booked.

pesto

On the Ice
The "Iceberg" ice rink was built in 2005 and the local ice hockey club plays at the first level in french hockey since this period.

Wow, so few seats!

We were thinking a winter weekend in Strasbourg with skating and Christmas shopping sounds like a great idea.

JustRozy

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I dont know why ISU keeps giving events for France when they have such an atrocious organizing committee. Their GP last year was so laughably bad. The medal ceremony was like it was from a school competition. I hope they pick up their standards although I wont be surprised if they give out medals cut out from laminated paper attached to a string this year

Just from reading spectator's comments over the last several years, there does seem to be an amazing consistency in being off-hand and odd. Why is this? I mean, they must be aware that in most people's view they are being disrespectful to the skaters & their many years of effort, & to the sport. I would have thought the French (the French!) would want to uphold & honor excellence, not undercut traditions in ways that seem petty & sophomoric. But they do not change, and continue to be given events other countries might love to have. I really am puzzled, any insights? Perhaps there is an even more traditional esthetic of carefree amateurism, which I am too newbie to know about & which is being mischaracterized as not caring...?

JustRozy

On the Ice
Country
United-States
This is a good question! I'm usually on the ice there, not on the seats :biggrin:

There's an olympic-sized rink (1830m²) and one other rink (1500m²).

Here's more informations : http://www.archi-wiki.org/Adresse:Patinoire_l'Iceberg_(Strasbourg)
And the official website of the Iceberg : https://www.strasbourg.eu/patinoire-iceberg

Just a "problem" to mention in Strasbourg in december : There's the Christmas Markt :biggrin: So the hotels are quick full booked.

Thank you for this information! I definitely want to go, and a family member is also thinking of it. Given the lovely but serious complication of the Christmas Market, could you venture even a rough estimate of the latest time of year by which we should book a room? I would like a realistic time by which we should act--to spur her on if she is undecided, and to act on my own if need be. Were it not for the Market, I would book a room by early Spring, but do you think that is too late?

Nirti

Medalist
Thank you for this information! I definitely want to go, and a family member is also thinking of it. Given the lovely but serious complication of the Christmas Market, could you venture even a rough estimate of the latest time of year by which we should book a room? I would like a realistic time by which we should act--to spur her on if she is undecided, and to act on my own if need be. Were it not for the Market, I would book a room by early Spring, but do you think that is too late?

According to a friend who's working in a hotel : better to book as earlier as possible :biggrin: Some rooms are already booked for next year's december. I hope the location in Strasbourg will be quickly confirmed, for the moment it's still TBA/FRA on ISU calendar.
The good new is that there will be no EU-parliamentary session on this week (5 to 8 december), which usually make impossible to find a hotel :rolleye:

But there's a huge hotel and b&b choice in Strasbourg and all the possible locations (Iceberg icerink, Zenith arena, Hall Rhenus) are easily and quickly accessible with public transport (between 10 and 20 minutes from city center).

Pandicorn

On the Ice
Country
Germany
According to a friend who's working in a hotel : better to book as earlier as possible :biggrin: Some rooms are already booked for next year's december. I hope the location in Strasbourg will be quickly confirmed, for the moment it's still TBA/FRA on ISU calendar.
The good new is that there will be no EU-parliamentary session on this week (5 to 8 december), which usually make impossible to find a hotel :rolleye:

But there's a huge hotel and b&b choice in Strasbourg and all the possible locations (Iceberg icerink, Zenith arena, Hall Rhenus) are easily and quickly accessible with public transport (between 10 and 20 minutes from city center).

The German figure skating magazine Pirouette wrote that Didier already confirmed at the IdF that the finale is not in Strasbourg. Possible places are now Grenoble, Paris and Metz.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why is France getting another shot at hosting the GPF? Wasn't the last time they hosted when they gave out those cheap medals and didn't they also not have a banquet for the skaters? The US hasn't hosted since 2003 which is the only time they've hosted the GPF even Canada has hosted 4 times. :scratch2:

Nirti

Medalist
Oh, what a pity... So why did they announce Strasbourg when it was not confirmed? :disapp:

Nirti

Medalist
If it's for safety reasons it's a non-sense. Strasbourg doesn't cancel the parliamentary sessions, the football matches in december or the music shows at the Zenith.
I'm curious to know if the decision was taken before or after the attack from last week (which wasn't held at the Christmas market, but that's another debate).

Pandicorn

On the Ice
Country
Germany
If it's for safety reasons it's a non-sense. Strasbourg doesn't cancel the parliamentary sessions, the football matches in december or the music shows at the Zenith.
I'm curious to know if the decision was taken before or after the attack from last week (which wasn't held at the Christmas market, but that's another debate).

The Pirouette already appeared before the attack.
I was really looking forward to Strasbourg and hope now that the final will take place near the German border or Paris and not somewhere in the South. :pray:

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
As much as hotel prices would be higher I’d cry if they chose Paris. Just a quick train ride and I’m there, that’s the dream.