Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 52

Thread: TES minimums for 2019 ISU championships and 2019/20 GP dates

  1. #21
    GS Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    9,169

    3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoa View Post
    So will we have plastic coasters or plastic stars as medals?
    Well as long as they're not plastic straws...

  2. #22
    Rinkside PinkElephants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    62

    0 Not allowed!
    Forgive for going off-topic (and the stupid question), but how do Juniors even get picked for the GPs? Say you're a new Junior but you're in a teeny tiny country with no skaters and you're the only person at nationals, but you meet the requirements, how does ISU even know to invite you? Do they go through a list of some sort or

  3. #23
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    742

    7 Not allowed!
    I dont know why ISU keeps giving events for France when they have such an atrocious organizing committee. Their GP last year was so laughably bad. The medal ceremony was like it was from a school competition. I hope they pick up their standards although I wont be surprised if they give out medals cut out from laminated paper attached to a string this year

  4. #24
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,142
    Country: Australia

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkElephants View Post
    Forgive for going off-topic (and the stupid question), but how do Juniors even get picked for the GPs? Say you're a new Junior but you're in a teeny tiny country with no skaters and you're the only person at nationals, but you meet the requirements, how does ISU even know to invite you? Do they go through a list of some sort or
    Do you mean for the JGP? Skaters aren't invited to that; they're assigned by their federations, sometimes after meeting internal criteria such as a test skate. Each federation has a certain number of spots available in each discipline based on how their skater/s in that discipline placed at the previous season's Junior Worlds, though.

    If you mean skaters moving from juniors to seniors, the majority of new seniors don't get invited to the GP straight off. If they win Junior Worlds in their discipline, most of the time they'll get invited to at least one event or get a host pick spot, but otherwise they have to put in their time skating at Senior Bs and Challengers, getting their FCCs and Worlds minimums, and working their way up the standings inside their own countries until they start to get assigned to championships, and then place high enough at Worlds/on the Season's Best list to be eligible for an invitation. It can be a long, slow process.

    ETA: The ISU does keep a formal list of the best 5 skaters in each discipline from each Federation based on each season's Nationals results (or up to 5 - not all federations have that many per discipline), but only for Seniors.

  5. #25
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    746
    Country: Nepal

    3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie_20 View Post
    So then, you probably know what the likely venue will be. Read: will we have proper seats this time?
    This is a good question! I'm usually on the ice there, not on the seats

    The "Iceberg" ice rink was built in 2005 and the local ice hockey club plays at the first level in french hockey since this period.
    There's the possibility to have between 1200 and 2400 seats.
    There's an olympic-sized rink (1830m²) and one other rink (1500m²).

    Here's more informations : http://www.archi-wiki.org/Adresse:Pa...g_(Strasbourg)
    And the official website of the Iceberg : https://www.strasbourg.eu/patinoire-iceberg


    Just a "problem" to mention in Strasbourg in december : There's the Christmas Markt So the hotels are quick full booked.

  6. #26
    Rinkside PinkElephants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    62

    1 Not allowed!
    Thanks a ton Harriet!!

  7. #27
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    97

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirti View Post
    The "Iceberg" ice rink was built in 2005 and the local ice hockey club plays at the first level in french hockey since this period.
    There's the possibility to have between 1200 and 2400 seats.
    Wow, so few seats!

    We were thinking a winter weekend in Strasbourg with skating and Christmas shopping sounds like a great idea.

  8. #28
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    225
    Country: United States of America

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by icybear View Post
    I dont know why ISU keeps giving events for France when they have such an atrocious organizing committee. Their GP last year was so laughably bad. The medal ceremony was like it was from a school competition. I hope they pick up their standards although I wont be surprised if they give out medals cut out from laminated paper attached to a string this year
    Just from reading spectator's comments over the last several years, there does seem to be an amazing consistency in being off-hand and odd. Why is this? I mean, they must be aware that in most people's view they are being disrespectful to the skaters & their many years of effort, & to the sport. I would have thought the French (the French!) would want to uphold & honor excellence, not undercut traditions in ways that seem petty & sophomoric. But they do not change, and continue to be given events other countries might love to have. I really am puzzled, any insights? Perhaps there is an even more traditional esthetic of carefree amateurism, which I am too newbie to know about & which is being mischaracterized as not caring...?

  9. #29
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    225
    Country: United States of America

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirti View Post
    This is a good question! I'm usually on the ice there, not on the seats

    The "Iceberg" ice rink was built in 2005 and the local ice hockey club plays at the first level in french hockey since this period.
    There's the possibility to have between 1200 and 2400 seats.
    There's an olympic-sized rink (1830m²) and one other rink (1500m²).

    Here's more informations : http://www.archi-wiki.org/Adresse:Pa...g_(Strasbourg)
    And the official website of the Iceberg : https://www.strasbourg.eu/patinoire-iceberg


    Just a "problem" to mention in Strasbourg in december : There's the Christmas Markt So the hotels are quick full booked.

    Thank you for this information! I definitely want to go, and a family member is also thinking of it. Given the lovely but serious complication of the Christmas Market, could you venture even a rough estimate of the latest time of year by which we should book a room? I would like a realistic time by which we should act--to spur her on if she is undecided, and to act on my own if need be. Were it not for the Market, I would book a room by early Spring, but do you think that is too late?

  10. #30
    GS Supporter
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    353
    Country: United Kingdom

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoa View Post
    So will we have plastic coasters or plastic stars as medals?
    I think they actually did get plastic stars in IdF this year!

    Marseille GPF was not too long ago; I was hoping for Barcelona or Helsinki...

  11. #31
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    746
    Country: Nepal

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by JustRozy View Post
    Thank you for this information! I definitely want to go, and a family member is also thinking of it. Given the lovely but serious complication of the Christmas Market, could you venture even a rough estimate of the latest time of year by which we should book a room? I would like a realistic time by which we should act--to spur her on if she is undecided, and to act on my own if need be. Were it not for the Market, I would book a room by early Spring, but do you think that is too late?
    According to a friend who's working in a hotel : better to book as earlier as possible Some rooms are already booked for next year's december. I hope the location in Strasbourg will be quickly confirmed, for the moment it's still TBA/FRA on ISU calendar.
    The good new is that there will be no EU-parliamentary session on this week (5 to 8 december), which usually make impossible to find a hotel

    But there's a huge hotel and b&b choice in Strasbourg and all the possible locations (Iceberg icerink, Zenith arena, Hall Rhenus) are easily and quickly accessible with public transport (between 10 and 20 minutes from city center).

  12. #32
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    95
    Country: Germany

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirti View Post
    According to a friend who's working in a hotel : better to book as earlier as possible Some rooms are already booked for next year's december. I hope the location in Strasbourg will be quickly confirmed, for the moment it's still TBA/FRA on ISU calendar.
    The good new is that there will be no EU-parliamentary session on this week (5 to 8 december), which usually make impossible to find a hotel

    But there's a huge hotel and b&b choice in Strasbourg and all the possible locations (Iceberg icerink, Zenith arena, Hall Rhenus) are easily and quickly accessible with public transport (between 10 and 20 minutes from city center).
    The German figure skating magazine Pirouette wrote that Didier already confirmed at the IdF that the finale is not in Strasbourg. Possible places are now Grenoble, Paris and Metz.

  13. #33
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    306

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandicorn View Post
    The German figure skating magazine Pirouette wrote that Didier already confirmed at the IdF that the finale is not in Strasbourg. Possible places are now Grenoble, Paris and Metz.
    Why not in Strasbourg?

  14. #34
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,534
    Country: United States of America

    4 Not allowed!
    Why is France getting another shot at hosting the GPF? Wasn't the last time they hosted when they gave out those cheap medals and didn't they also not have a banquet for the skaters? The US hasn't hosted since 2003 which is the only time they've hosted the GPF even Canada has hosted 4 times.

  15. #35
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    746
    Country: Nepal

    0 Not allowed!
    Oh, what a pity... So why did they announce Strasbourg when it was not confirmed?

  16. #36
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    95
    Country: Germany

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by pororocheburashka View Post
    Why not in Strasbourg?
    For safety reasons. They haven´t enough people to protect the christmas market and another big event.

  17. #37
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    746
    Country: Nepal

    1 Not allowed!
    If it's for safety reasons it's a non-sense. Strasbourg doesn't cancel the parliamentary sessions, the football matches in december or the music shows at the Zenith.
    I'm curious to know if the decision was taken before or after the attack from last week (which wasn't held at the Christmas market, but that's another debate).

  18. #38
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    95
    Country: Germany

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirti View Post
    If it's for safety reasons it's a non-sense. Strasbourg doesn't cancel the parliamentary sessions, the football matches in december or the music shows at the Zenith.
    I'm curious to know if the decision was taken before or after the attack from last week (which wasn't held at the Christmas market, but that's another debate).
    The Pirouette already appeared before the attack.
    I was really looking forward to Strasbourg and hope now that the final will take place near the German border or Paris and not somewhere in the South.

  19. #39
    Medalist DSQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,366
    Country: United Kingdom

    0 Not allowed!
    As much as hotel prices would be higher I’d cry if they chose Paris. Just a quick train ride and I’m there, that’s the dream.

  20. #40
    Jesus take the wheel! RemyRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    4,315
    Country: United States of America

    3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohacz View Post
    Junior and Senior Grand Prix Final
    December 5-8, 2019 Strasbourg, France (to be confirmed)
    This has been relocated to Torino, Italy. It's on the ISU calendar.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •