Knierims split from coach Aliona Savchenko | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Knierims split from coach Aliona Savchenko

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Rockne and Stefania or Todd Sand are their best bet.
Zimmerman has too many people right now esp US pairs, and FL training center isn't like the way things run for ice dance in Gadbois.

TarAncalime

On the Ice
In Germany rumours has it that workload and timing played a crucial role. I don't want to know what Aljona understands under a "light training" either...probably one that puts a triathlete to shame...:) Jokes aside, just now there is not a proper training center for pair teams in Germany...they are setting up one in Berlin right now with Alex König as a head coach from 1.1.2019, hopefully but authorities and political admininstration are moving dead slow in Germany in funding and stuff..:-( People say that Alex König always has a written paper in pocket to confirm his future job to get funds and so on....If the pair training venter is ready by next year then maybe international pair teams can come and train with Alex and Aljona in Berlin and Oberstdorf.

Alex König was present in Everett, I think, for just that reason...show himself and his pair teams, network in the background and in the skating scene. Ruben had a training injury and could bot train fully but he and Annika understand this completely and went with their coach anyway in order to skate. And their program is really interesting and beautiful when it is ready!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree with others who've said it was probably a matter of scheduling not working out, especially with all Aljona's commitments.

said Knierim. “It was insane how much work we were able to do with her (Savchenko)

To me, this was the most interesting bit of the article. I totally believe it, because it showed in the progress they'd made, even though it seemed like two steps forward and one step back. I think Alexa and Chris needed someone with intensity to really push them. (I'm thinking about an article about Moskvina that said she would chase her pairs around the rink. I could see Aljona doing that, or something to that effect!) It seems obvious to me, because nearly everyone who talks about them starts with "they have so much talent" and end up with "if they could just" ....

I think Chris, in particular, has shown improvement in his jumping in just these few months, and also in his expression and dynamics. I felt like someone on Aljona's team, I don't know who, gave him instruction that he's always needed. He's usually so protective of Alexa that he slips up on his own focus. As I watched their SA skates, I felt like Alexa's confidence has been slipping for awhile, which leads to more atypical mistakes. I think Alexa was emotionally pretty invested in training with Aljona.

I hope they can get a coaching arrangement figured out quickly. But it's hard to have to move again. I wish them the best. :)

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not a surprise. Why did they think going to someone who has almost zero experience as a coach and talks about still competing was a good idea? This had fiasco written all over itself. When you have a coach you need them to be with you all the time not off doing shows or whatever.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Not a surprise. Why did they think going to someone who has almost zero experience as a coach and talks about still competing was a good idea? This had fiasco written all over itself. When you have a coach you need them to be with you all the time not off doing shows or whatever.

Ouch but probably at least in part true!

Mdk0144

On the Ice

I think I'm agreeing with this. Plus, I don't really get what they've actually improved...

Maybe it's time to go to Zimmerman.

MACGoldSeal

Rinkside
One definite stamp of Aljona was the SP costume. It was right out of Aljona and Robin. How was Chris supposed to skate in that gold plated kevlar vest? Too garish and distracting for me. Do we remember when Chris Bowman tried to assimilate Toller Cranston's style and look? It felt like Aljona wanted Alexa and Chris to skate like she and Robin skated. They didn't have enough time to assess what would work for Alexa and Chris' strengths and weaknesses. It was like putting on the costumes and being 'edgier' would solve the problems. Well, that didn't work, did it? I want them to do well, but the technical problems with the jumps are their Achilles heel. I'd love them to go to John Zimmerman because he'll allow them to be themselves, a married couple, who love each other and love skating. I didn't see any of that in this pair of programs. I think back to the 'heat' created by Barb Underhill and Paul Martini. They were married, not to each other, but their sensuality was enough to puddle the ice. Let's hope the right circumstances evolve for Alexa and Chris to find success.

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I feel like they were more "together" at Skate America, so while short, maybe the time with Aljona was worthwhile. No idea if that's just early-season lack of psychological baggage, though. Anyway, I really root for Alexa and Chris and hope they can pin down a coaching arrangement soon that really clicks.

believed

On the Ice
From Süddeutsche Zeitung
https://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/eiskunstlauf-traineramt-beendet-1.4179849

Via google translate:

Aliona Savchenko did not travel to the West Coast. She herself decided to split up, she told SZ Sunday: "I've helped as much as possible, but it turns out that we have different opinions about working on the ice."

[...]

The potential of the US pair runners Aljona Savchenko has also stressed again on Sunday. The work, she says, was "not enough": "I know the way to the goal, I opened the door for them, but they have to go through it alone." Aljona Savchenko did not exclude that they will work together again in the future.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From Süddeutsche Zeitung
https://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/eiskunstlauf-traineramt-beendet-1.4179849

Via google translate:

Aliona Savchenko did not travel to the West Coast. She herself decided to split up, she told SZ Sunday: "I've helped as much as possible, but it turns out that we have different opinions about working on the ice."

[...]

The potential of the US pair runners Aljona Savchenko has also stressed again on Sunday. The work, she says, was "not enough": "I know the way to the goal, I opened the door for them, but they have to go through it alone." Aljona Savchenko did not exclude that they will work together again in the future.

Ouch. Sounds like she told them it wasn't going to work because they're not working hard enough--hope that's not it, but it sounds like it. That's got to be a real morale crusher for them. I hope they can find another coach who they can work well with. I'm also not sure Aljona has done herself any favors. This might well make anyone else hoping to train with her in the future think twice...

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd love them to go to John Zimmerman because he'll allow them to be themselves, a married couple, who love each other and love skating. I didn't see any of that in this pair of programs. I think back to the 'heat' created by Barb Underhill and Paul Martini. They were married, not to each other, but their sensuality was enough to puddle the ice. Let's hope the right circumstances evolve for Alexa and Chris to find success.

So true. It's always baffled me that their connection on the ice is their number two Achilles heel, after the jumps. I've been thinking about Zimmerman for them for awhile. It just seems like a good match somehow ... you articulated it.

MACGoldSeal

Rinkside
Ouch. Sounds like she told them it wasn't going to work because they're not working hard enough--hope that's not it, but it sounds like it. That's got to be a real morale crusher for them. I hope they can find another coach who they can work well with. I'm also not sure Aljona has done herself any favors. This might well make anyone else hoping to train with her in the future think twice...
This brings up two points. I was having dinner with a Russian skating coach recently and asked why our American skaters are lagging behind the world in difficulty. (Prescinding from our men, of course). He was very dismissive of the American work ethic. In essence, his opinion was that Americans aren't willing to work as hard as the Russians or the Japanese or the Koreans. I don't want to argue this point, but he made it, and he implied it wasn't his opinion alone. So the first point is the work ethic question. The second, and more pertinent in this case, is Aljona herself. I spoke to Eric Radford after the Olympics and I said that if he hadn't been standing next to Bruno when Aljona and Bruno realized they had won, he would have fallen on the floor since Bruno collapsed into Eric's arms. Can you imagine the pressure that boy was under skating with Aljona at that point? If he had made a mistake that cost her the gold, God alone knows what fury would have followed. Great skaters, have to be hardened like steel to achieve the Gold. Aljona is of that ilk. But, being a great skater, doesn't necessarily translate into being a good coach. People for whom something comes easily don't always know how to translate it for someone who finds it difficult. Someone who struggled with jumping could teach me how to jump with more facility than someone for whom jumping came second nature. Perhaps, Aljona didn't think Alexa and Chris worked as hard as she and Bruno had. I have no idea, but she's a tough task mistress that's for sure. Again, I hope Alexa and Chris find a coach to bring out their best, not one who superimposes anything on them.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This brings up two points. I was having dinner with a Russian skating coach recently and asked why our American skaters are lagging behind the world in difficulty. (Prescinding from our men, of course). He was very dismissive of the American work ethic. In essence, his opinion was that Americans aren't willing to work as hard as the Russians or the Japanese or the Koreans. I don't want to argue this point, but he made it, and he implied it wasn't his opinion alone. So the first point is the work ethic question. The second, and more pertinent in this case, is Aljona herself. I spoke to Eric Radford after the Olympics and I said that if he hadn't been standing next to Bruno when Aljona and Bruno realized they had won, he would have fallen on the floor since Bruno collapsed into Eric's arms. Can you imagine the pressure that boy was under skating with Aljona at that point? If he had made a mistake that cost her the gold, God alone knows what fury would have followed. Great skaters, have to be hardened like steel to achieve the Gold. Aljona is of that ilk. But, being a great skater, doesn't necessarily translate into being a good coach. People for whom something comes easily don't always know how to translate it for someone who finds it difficult. Someone who struggled with jumping could teach me how to jump with more facility than someone for whom jumping came second nature. Perhaps, Aljona didn't think Alexa and Chris worked as hard as she and Bruno had. I have no idea, but she's a tough task mistress that's for sure. Again, I hope Alexa and Chris find a coach to bring out their best, not one who superimposes anything on them.

Nice stereotyping. What about Evan Lysacek? Or Michelle Kwan? And on the flip side, what is his explanation for why the Russians/Soviets never had a ladies skater who won Worlds before 1999? Was it because they weren't willing to work as hard as the Americans?

pearly

Record Breaker

Let's not blame all this on Aljona and make her the bad guy, ok? The Knierims went to her because "Alexa had a dream that she was their coach" they thought she could help them. Aljona too saw potential and thought she could help them.

She had obligations and no coaching experience, the Knierims had Alexa's dream (?!) and needed change. Neither knew what to really expect from the other. Some of us saw this would not work out from the moment they announced it.

MACGoldSeal

Rinkside
Jenaj, believe me, I'm with you on this! I was only relaying what this particular coach was saying. Can we remember the days when some of the Russians never even did complete run-throughs of their programs and got gassed in the last minute or so? It's always easy to paint with a wide brush, which is what this coach did. I'm not close enough to the younger skaters these days to be able to comment intelligently about their work ethic.

MACGoldSeal

Rinkside
Pearly, I agree about Aljona not being the bad guy, she's not. That being said, it doesn't negate the fact that she's a tough lady, she'd have to be to last as long as she has retaining an amazing level of skill. I don't know what to say about Alexa having a dream, etc. I'm just wondering what Delilah was thinking during all this sturm und drang?

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight

What's so morale crushing here? Working harder is something you could fix. Or is a coach's job to coddle you and feed you inspirational speeches only?