Women and the Quad | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Women and the Quad

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
Quad Watch (Ladies)

ever since Alexandra Trusova’s history-making free skate at the 2018 Junior Worlds the quadruple trend has really caught on. This thread here is dedicated to keeping track of various quad attempts from all ladies (senior and junior) and analyzing them.

So far there have been 6 ladies who have attempted quads in actual competition:

- Alexandra Trusova
- Anna Shcherbakova
- Alysa Liu
- Elizabet Tursynbaeva
- Miki Ando
- Sasha Cohen

out of these 6, four (Trusova, Tursynbaeva, Ando and Shcherbakova) have landed and rotated (according to protocols) their quads, one (Liu) rotated hers.

videos of 13 (?) ladies attempting quads have surfaced and a total of 17 (?) have been rumored to be doing or trying them. The nine include:

- Alexandra Trusova
- Anna Shcherbakova
- Alysa Liu
- Elizabet Tursynbaeva
- Miki Ando
- Sasha Cohen
- You Young
- Elizaveta Berstovskaya (UR)
- Anastasia Tarakanova (fall, UR)
- Yelim Kim
- Rika Kihira
- Anita Ostlund (slight UR)
- Ekaterina Kurakova

others rumored to have been trying quads are:

- Anna Tarusina
- Maria Sotskova
- Evgenia Medvedeva
- Alina Zagitova

feel free to add on!

4Lz:

- Alexandra Trusova (+3T, +3Lo)
- Anna Shcherbakova (+3T, +3T+3Lo)
- Alysa Liu
- Anastasia Tarakanova

4F:

- Alexandra Trusova
- Alina Zagitova (in harness)
- Anna Shcherbakova

4Lo:

- Anastasia Tarakanova
- Alexandra Trusova (goal for 2019-20)

4T:

- Alexandra Trusova (+3T, +3T+1Eu+3S+1Eu+3S)
- Anna Shcherbakova (+3T+3Lo)
- Anastasia Tarakanova
- Elizaveta Berestovskaya
- Rika Kihira
- Anita Ostlund
- Surya Bonaly
- Sofia Akatieva (+3T)
- Evgenia Medvedeva (goal)
- Kamila Valieva (+3T)

4S:

- Alexandra Trusova (+3T, +3T+1Eu+3S+1Eu+3S)
- Miki Ando
- Sasha Cohen
- Elizabet Tursynbaeva (+2T, +3T)
- Rika Kihira
- Surya Bonaly
- Ekaterina Kurakova (+3T)
- Evgenia Medvedeva (in harness)

alpaca

On the Ice
There hasn't been a video yet but Evgenia's mentioned a couple of times that she would like to/plans to learn a quad, (I think salchow for now?) with Borser once both her jumps and health are back to being in good condition!

moriel

Record Breaker
There hasn't been a video yet but Evgenia's mentioned a couple of times that she would like to/plans to learn a quad, (I think salchow for now?) with Borser once both her jumps and health are back to being in good condition!

Medvedeva was training a quad Sal with Eteri: https://www.gazeta.ru/sport/2016/05/12/a_8231183.shtml
"right now, I am trying a 4S in harness. Well, not right now, but 5 days ago for sure. Because I changed my boots 3 days ago, and cannot go for a quad salchov in new boots right now"

vunhung3001

Rinkside
Rika Kihira: 4S& 4T. She landed them in practice 1.5 years ago ( there were footages), the landings weren't good then though. She's still practicing and stabilizing them now.

moriel

Record Breaker
Also, Id like to add Surya Bonaly (atempted 4T and 4S) and Miki Ando (landed 1st rotated quad, a 4S) to the list, just for the sake of it.

moriel

Record Breaker

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I think the most able to land clean quad now are Trusova, Shcherbakova. Soon, probably Kihira, as we saw in videos two attempts close to completely rotated.

Surya Bonaly was the first to think that quads were possible for women. One of her attempts could have been ratified if the tech panel was the same than for Miki.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
Also, Id like to add Surya Bonaly (atempted 4T and 4S) and Miki Ando (landed 1st rotated quad, a 4S) to the list, just for the sake of it.

You beat me to it. :) They're retired but still deserve mentioning as the early trailblazers of the ladies quad.

And she never landed it successfully in competition, but Sasha Cohen landed a quad salchow during a practice at Skate America in 2001: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-deoBgnZic

And she attempted one at Finlandia the same year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a88XlV-dbMs

lesnar001

Record Breaker

Sasha Cohen attempted a quad - but she fell. I think it was 2001 Skate America.
I remember watching it on TV. I'm going to guess it was a 4T :scratch2:

Sorry DanseMacabre - I didn't see your response.
So it was a salchow. Thanks.

Last edited:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Sasha Cohen attempted a quad - but she fell. I think it was 2001 Skate America.
I remember watching it on TV. I'm going to guess it was a 4T :scratch2:

Sorry DanseMacabre - I didn't see your response.
So it was a salchow. Thanks.

She doubled it at SkAm :)

RobinA

On the Ice
Quad, Shmad. I'll believe someone is a quad threat when I see them complete it with an adult female body. So far the Russian quads I'm seeing are being done by girls. Even Russian uber-coaches can only hold off puberty for so long.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Quad, Shmad. I'll believe someone is a quad threat when I see them complete it with an adult female body. So far the Russian quads I'm seeing are being done by girls. Even Russian uber-coaches can only hold off puberty for so long.

Triple Smiple!! Serious question here for you. What do you suppose the percentage of skaters who learned triples prepuberty well enough to get them ratified both before and after puberty? It’s pretty good isn’t it?

Personally...I truly believe girls can do anything the boys can so I see no reason to be so belittling here. Hope is a powerful thing. Sasha is a rare bird and so far one of a kind. Give the girl a chance instead of discounting her potential. You might even have a little fun along the way ;)

Elucidus

Match Penalty

And what is "adult female body" for you, I wonder? Does Tursynbaeva's body qualify? No? Isn't it blatant body shaming then? :p Also I have a hunch that Rika Kihira jumping 3A with her child body wouldn't trigger any kind of indignation from you whereas russian juniors doing man's skating elements as well - would.. for some mysterious reason :rolleye: