Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Quad Watch (Ladies)

2 Not allowed!

Quad Watch (Ladies)

ever since Alexandra Trusova’s history-making free skate at the 2018 Junior Worlds the quadruple trend has really caught on. This thread here is dedicated to keeping track of various quad attempts from all ladies (senior and junior) and analyzing them.

So far there have been 6 ladies who have attempted quads in actual competition:

- Alexandra Trusova
    - Anna Shcherbakova
    - Alysa Liu
    - Elizabet Tursynbaeva
    - Miki Ando
    - Sasha Cohen

out of these 6, three (Trusova, Ando and Shcherbakova) have landed and rotated (according to protocols) their quads, two (Liu and Cohen) have rotated them and one (Tursynbaeva) underrotated hers.

videos of 13 (?) ladies attempting quads have surfaced and a total of 17 (?) have been rumored to be doing or trying them. The nine include:

- Alexandra Trusova
    - Anna Shcherbakova
    - Alysa Liu
    - Elizabet Tursynbaeva
    - Miki Ando
    - Sasha Cohen
    - You Young
    - Elizaveta Berstovskaya (UR)
    - Anastasia Tarakanova (fall, UR)
    - Yelim Kim
    - Rika Kihira
    - Anita Ostlund (slight UR)
    - Ekaterina Kurakova

others rumored to have been trying quads are:

- Anna Tarusina
    - Maria Sotskova
    - Evgenia Medvedeva
    - Alina Zagitova

feel free to add on!

4Lz:

- Alexandra Trusova (+3T, +3Lo)
    - Anna Shcherbakova (+3T, +3T+3Lo)
    - Alysa Liu

4F:

- Alexandra Trusova
    - Alina Zagitova (in harness)

4Lo:

- Anastasia Tarakanova (according to Plushenko)

4T:

- Alexandra Trusova (+3T, +3T+1Eu+3S+1Eu+3S)
    - Anna Shcherbakova (+3T+3Lo)
    - Anastasia Tarakanova
    - Elizaveta Berestovskaya
    - Rika Kihira
    - Anita Ostlund
    - Surya Bonaly

4S:

- Alexandra Trusova (+3T, +3T+1Eu+3S+1Eu+3S)
    - Miki Ando
    - Sasha Cohen
    - Elizabet Tursynbaeva (+2T, +3T)
    - Rika Kihira
    - Surya Bonaly
    - Ekaterina Kurakova (+3T)
    - Evgenia Medvedeva (in harness)

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    There hasn't been a video yet but Evgenia's mentioned a couple of times that she would like to/plans to learn a quad, (I think salchow for now?) with Borser once both her jumps and health are back to being in good condition!

Penalty Box

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by alpaca View Post
    There hasn't been a video yet but Evgenia's mentioned a couple of times that she would like to/plans to learn a quad, (I think salchow for now?) with Borser once both her jumps and health are back to being in good condition!
    Medvedeva was training a quad Sal with Eteri: https://www.gazeta.ru/sport/2016/05/12/a_8231183.shtml
    "right now, I am trying a 4S in harness. Well, not right now, but 5 days ago for sure. Because I changed my boots 3 days ago, and cannot go for a quad salchov in new boots right now"

Rinkside

1 Not allowed!
    Rika Kihira: 4S& 4T. She landed them in practice 1.5 years ago ( there were footages), the landings weren't good then though. She's still practicing and stabilizing them now.

Penalty Box

5 Not allowed!
    Also, Id like to add Surya Bonaly (atempted 4T and 4S) and Miki Ando (landed 1st rotated quad, a 4S) to the list, just for the sake of it.

Penalty Box

0 Not allowed!

Rinkside

4 Not allowed!
    Kihira 4S attempt ( bonus 3A3T)
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BW-h8jXFprg/

Penalty Box

6 Not allowed!
    A little collection of videos...

Trusova
    JW 2017 FS with 2 ratified quads, 4T and 4S: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EUyG7cA01o
    JGP Lithuania FS with clean 4T+3T (also UR 4Lz and fall on 4T): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ3GvpMh_cE
    JGP Armenia FS with clean 4Lz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heGvrtB-fvg

Anna Shcherbakova
    Russian Cup event where she landed 2x 4Lz, one in combination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7zidkK0A7Y

2 Not allowed!
    I think the most able to land clean quad now are Trusova, Shcherbakova. Soon, probably Kihira, as we saw in videos two attempts close to completely rotated.

Surya Bonaly was the first to think that quads were possible for women. One of her attempts could have been ratified if the tech panel was the same than for Miki.

Tripping on the Podium DanseMacabre's Avatar

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by moriel View Post
    Also, Id like to add Surya Bonaly (atempted 4T and 4S) and Miki Ando (landed 1st rotated quad, a 4S) to the list, just for the sake of it.
    You beat me to it. They're retired but still deserve mentioning as the early trailblazers of the ladies quad.

And she never landed it successfully in competition, but Sasha Cohen landed a quad salchow during a practice at Skate America in 2001: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-deoBgnZic

And she attempted one at Finlandia the same year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a88XlV-dbMs

Medalist

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by moriel View Post
    Sasha Cohen attempted a quad - but she fell. I think it was 2001 Skate America.
    I remember watching it on TV. I'm going to guess it was a 4T

Sorry DanseMacabre - I didn't see your response.
    So it was a salchow. Thanks.
    Last edited by lesnar001; 10-21-2018 at 03:10 PM. Reason: someone else posted same info

All Hail Empress Eteri Spirals for Miles's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by lesnar001 View Post
    Sasha Cohen attempted a quad - but she fell. I think it was 2001 Skate America.
    I remember watching it on TV. I'm going to guess it was a 4T

Sorry DanseMacabre - I didn't see your response.
    So it was a salchow. Thanks.
    She doubled it at SkAm

Medalist

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirals for Miles View Post
    She doubled it at SkAm
    Thank you. I was going from memory. Not very well obviously.

Spectator

1 Not allowed!
    When did Tursynbaeva go for a 4S in comp? Also is there a vid of Yelim Kim doing a quad?

Penalty Box

0 Not allowed!

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, you forgot Syria. She was able to jump 3Sal in the begining of the program from the standing positions

On the Ice

1 Not allowed!
    Quad, Shmad. I'll believe someone is a quad threat when I see them complete it with an adult female body. So far the Russian quads I'm seeing are being done by girls. Even Russian uber-coaches can only hold off puberty for so long.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingedge View Post
    When did Tursynbaeva go for a 4S in comp? Also is there a vid of Yelim Kim doing a quad?
    I can’t find a video but I remember she did try it but had a terrible fall and underrotated it pretty badly.

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good” Sam-Skwantch's Avatar

10 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinA View Post
    Quad, Shmad. I'll believe someone is a quad threat when I see them complete it with an adult female body. So far the Russian quads I'm seeing are being done by girls. Even Russian uber-coaches can only hold off puberty for so long.
    Triple Smiple!! Serious question here for you. What do you suppose the percentage of skaters who learned triples prepuberty well enough to get them ratified both before and after puberty? It’s pretty good isn’t it?

Personally...I truly believe girls can do anything the boys can so I see no reason to be so belittling here. Hope is a powerful thing. Sasha is a rare bird and so far one of a kind. Give the girl a chance instead of discounting her potential. You might even have a little fun along the way

5 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinA View Post
    And what is "adult female body" for you, I wonder? Does Tursynbaeva's body qualify? No? Isn't it blatant body shaming then? Also I have a hunch that Rika Kihira jumping 3A with her child body wouldn't trigger any kind of indignation from you whereas russian juniors doing man's skating elements as well - would.. for some mysterious reason

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast