2018 Skate Canada: Thoughts, Analysis & Highlights | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018 Skate Canada: Thoughts, Analysis & Highlights

shine

Record Breaker
^I LOVE your avatar, Kitt!!

G/P's FD's is one of the most beautiful programs I've ever seen. Wow.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
It seems ur calls are not that strict, especially when being compared with Skate America. Can any expert shield some light on this?

RobinA

On the Ice
I haven't watched the Men's yet, so I can't say anything about them.

Pairs - blah. I don't enjoy Pairs anymore, formerly my fave discipline. All the programs look the same to me. More specifically, I'm sick of wonky SBS triples. I wish they'd reward good doubles more than they do so it would be worth skaters' while to do doubles if they can't do triples. Some of these people I wonder if they've ever completed a triple. Still give good points for good triples, but make it so if the Pairs do good doubles they can make up for it in other parts of the program. Maybe it's just not a good time in the Pairs cycle and things will get better.

Ladies - Love, love, love Evgenia's SP. May be my favorite program so far this year. I thought Tuklamysheva was a bit gifted in the LP. Not a huge fan of hers, but still. She did well, just thought the scores were a bit up there. Mariah Bell, I don't know. I want her to do well, but I just don't see her making the top ranks

Dance - Not on board with Hubbell & Donohue's programs this year, but they did show up ready to rumble. No, "Well it's the beginning of the season" for them. Loved Gilles/Poirier's program, my second fave program so far this year. Not crazy about the editing in the second half, but by then I was already in love with the program. It actually added up to something instead of, "Let's cram together a bunch of tough moves and set it to music." I also liked the Spanish couple who did the Beatles medley program. I realize it didn't have the technical content of some of the others, but that might have been why I liked it. The choreography was very clean and they actually seemed to be dancing to the music.

On a general note, I think if I hear one more bad cover of a classic song my ears will bleed. Obviously I'm going to have to, because it seems to be the thing this year. I don't automatically hate covers, but...just, ugh.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
1 SK & Liza I just cant describe! Made this GP! :tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum:

2 Totally agree with TAT on her praise for Starr Andrews. I totally saw her in a different light.
MAriaBell has the same catchy cheerfullness. You cant help but root for her.

3 First time seeing HD FD & it seemed very boring...Quality of skating you cant deny but you totally feel like you can go out drink some tea & wont miss anythig special...:slink:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
1 SK & Liza I just cant describe! Made this GP! :tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum:

2 Totally agree with TAT on her praise for Starr Andrews. I totally saw her in a different light.
MAriaBell has the same catchy cheerfullness. You cant help but root for her.

3 First time seeing HD FD & it seemed very boring...Quality of skating you cant deny but you totally feel like you can go out drink some tea & wont miss anythig special...:slink:

Hi Sugarpova! You've been missed! :)

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Hi Sugarpova! You've been missed! :)
:ghug: I miss live discussion of the events on the board

oh I forgot to write praise for Queen Vanessa!:biggrin: what pleasure is to see her on ice!
+ Really wanted BK to medal:sad21: Anyway great start to their senior career! The more the better. they already have maturity & great programs that help.

KKonas

Medalist
As an ice dance fan, I was most impressed with the new look of Sinitsina and Katsalapov. He has finally learned to control his speed and not rush to the next move. Russian ice dancing is on the upswing with several very strong teams in this next quad moving toward the Olympic Games. Not so impressed with Hubbell and Donohue FD. Will be interesting to see if G and P will beat Weaver and Poje for the Canadian title this year.

moriel

Record Breaker
There was sure a lot of drama on this GP. But 5 things deserve special highlight:

- the clean 3A in SP by Tuktamysheva. ISU should add this to the textbooks.
- Keegan medaling
- Zhenya Medvedeva coming back in FS after the SP disaster
- Tuktamysheva's Gala
- Canadian synchronized backflips at the gala finale

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I re-watched Vanessa and Morgan's FS, and it is as amazing as everyone says. John Zimmerman is a genius, because what J/C have is unconventional and not like anyone else, and Zimmerman was the one who's gotten them to refine that and make it shine. What I noticed most was how their throw jumps come out of nowhere; it's almost as if he just happens to pick her up in passing, and then he tosses her lightly across the arena. Of course it's as much her skating into the throw at exactly the right instant, as well. Nine years of experience together has gotten them to this point. This year is a huge leap up for them. They've got the confidence to Skate Like Champions, and they simply gleam with it. He is a strong dude, too.

I'm disconcerted by how he places his hand "right there" on the last lift. Well, I'm discombobulated, to say the truth. Hm.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I watched everything live except Ladies SP - and that is an achievement looking that Ice Dance and Ladies were competing from 1AM onwards. I applaud the audience - the atmosphere was really awesome, loud cheering, loud clapping, enthusiastic reactions and excitement. and that 'Junlietttt!' poster with Conrad Orzel's cameo was just hilarious!

I found each discipline interesting on their own merits - some pretty dominative displays, some great come-backs, some great fights, some tenths of point separating places, some splats and missed opportunities. And 'JULIETTTT!'. And that 'Grease' thing:cool14:. It was an interesting event for sure. Also, I found Elladj delightful as a network correspondent, his interviews were engaging and positive!

The absolute highlight was for me Gilles/Poirier's FD performance - yes, I am biased as this is now probably my most beloved ID team competing and the whole circumstance surrounding FD was high note, but they rose above all expectation and all obstacles, doubts encountered, powering through everything with such belief, trust in this program and each other. These 4 mins just flew and illuminate me surrounded by night darkness at 2AM:laugh: - as I cried myself to sleep after RD, this time I could not stop tears of being moved, deeply touched by the sheer emotional force, raw pull and overwhelming power given by them to that performance and then given out to all people watching. I think that this program is oddly harmonious and serene in all its irregularities, face-to-face, dialogue-styled partnerings, the exchange of energy that may seem unbalanced looking at movement, but adds to the feel of completeness somehow for me; I love that the movement narrates music in such intricate, sublime way, even through all elements (twizzles sequence with differentiated tempo throughout and spin exit are absolutely exquisite in particular) and there is this swirling, circular motion throughout the whole program that resembles 'Starry night' painting so well. I think they achieved a rare thing - to produce a performance that is reflective, nostalgic, with melancholy to it, but does not feel sad, depressing, stagnant or just plain sad; on the contrary, in my opinion the level of emotional layers added to this structure of choreography, way of movement provided overall such inspiration, genuine interest of creativity, artful originality expressed by many people in their admiration to the idea and how it came to life in Laval this weekend. Yet, bearing in mind the structure, for me the wholesome felt organic, natural and effortlessly flowing with Govardo's voice and guitar. It really was a multi-dimensional experience, from musical, motion, interpretation standpoints, all very 'rich' and telling the story, having that meaning - and they made it all meaningful to so many people in the process, not only to themselves in that moment.

For other things - I am happy for all 3 Ladies who medalled and Mariah who seems steadily improving and being more confident performer. Elizaveta was not perfect in the FS, but it is very satisfying to see her having another go and another revival in her career, I just adore her maturity, confidence and ability to seduce audience. Mako was really a breath of fresh air - another great 'Madame Butterfly' program coming from Japanese lady, that SP music is a bit of a no from me, but her all-around enthusiasm is infectious. Evgenia did a bit of 'coming out of age' thing with her FS - it was something totally new for her, adding to the whole coaching change, to skate this early her FS and to have this kind of challenge ahead. It was maybe not perfect/ideal she was used to (and got us used to see), but it was a solid effort, especially performance-wise for me, it should give her more and more confidence in what she's doing.

Pairs were quite exciting, James/Cipres came into the season not to play around, that's for sure now - there is roughness in some things to polish (particularly in SP that in my personal opinion feels not yet natural to them and sometimes awkward), but man, that FS is molded to them tighter than Vanessa's catsuit (sans embroidered thong:laugh:). It is about that distinct feel of sensuality, seduction, physicality, building up that finale within the music, making a compelling picture and strong emotion, this desire in audience mimicking their skate. They are already masters in edgy repertoire, but this takes things yet on another level for me, how they became a better team, better skaters and performers in all that edge. I want to also add my great appreciation of Boikova/Kozlovskii - very strong senior debut and already so mature, grown-up pair! Haven and Brandon may not have the best outing, but I adore their FS - there is some lovely tenderness and air to it, the climax with these gorgeous lifts is mesmerizing for me.

In Ice Dance, I was impressed by Viktoria and Nikita - good to see them back strongly with best set of programs ever in my opinion, confident and ready competition-wise. I think that Zhulin and Durnev accommodated this drama flair Nikita has and Viktoria's delicacy perfectly for them - there is no ground-breaking innovation/novelty to the material, but it fits them exceptionally and they sell it very convincingly. Smart/Diaz's RD is really a class, the adaptation of Tango aesthetic in that program is exquisite, shame I cannot tell this about their FD which feels a bit uninspired and basic for me. I am already a fan of Marie-Jade and Romain's FD - a breath of fresh air, energetic and dynamic; I like that they approach material in such 'smart' way: they sure have no deepest edges and most commendable flow/fluidity, but they have strong lifts, great athleticism, performer's ability and readiness which Bruno Mars medley presents amazingly.

In men, well, there was one Julliett and other stuff:laugh:

Last edited:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was able to attend the event live this past weekend and it was a great time. Skate Canada knows how to hold an event and thank goodness they chose a venue near a metro stop! I was surprised that the event was not sold out, but without Yuzu and the top Canadians retired and on tour, there were plenty of opportunities to move my seat.

Highlights for me were G/P's free dance which moved me to tears, J/C's free skate, Medevedeva's FS, Liza's SP, Mako's FS, Jun's FS (JULIET!) and Keegan's SP. I also really liked Mariah Bell's programs and I see that the work she's done with Raf is starting to pay off. Jason was a mixed bag, but he showed promise in his FS with the 3A/3T and a more mature look.

I was disappointed that Wakaba didn't medal here, but she seems to fighting some injuries. Hope she can return to form soon and I loved her costumes, too.

The gala was fun too and seeing Liza's "Toxic" was an experience, lol. I also had fun connecting with Mrs.P, Haleth, Bookseller, vla13, pmidi and finally meeting Justin Lambchop, who I've been following on Youtube for a while.

I also spotted in the arena Ted Barton, Julianne Seguin, Elladj Balde, Liam Firus and Joannie Rochette (who signed a bunch of autographs and selfies with kids).

girl in red

Rinkside
g/p starry night fd is the highlight of the season so far for me.So moving and honest!I have rewatched it a lot of times, such a beautiful program.I wish them all the best.This has to be their year.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
g/p starry night fd is the highlight of the season so far for me.So moving and honest!I have rewatched it a lot of times, such a beautiful program.I wish them all the best.This has to be their year.

I hope it really is their year. what a beautiful programme. That beginning....yay!

bennorii

On the Ice
I feel like every week there's a new unexpected junior star that bursts onto the scene. This week, it was Mako. I really think she deserved to win the gold, but I'm glad she didn't because she can use her silver as a source of confidence and motivation to maintain her consistency and push even further at CoR. We shouldn't forget that she did almost win, but scores aside, she has excellent technique and so much speed as she flies into those 3Lzs. Mako also has excellent flow and soft knees, and I could really feel the passion as she genuinely sold that step sequence. She has little bobbles in the upper body at times, but that's really just nit-picking. What an amazing senior debut for Mako, and I can't wait to see her make a push to the upper level of the bloodbath this is the Japanese ladies.