The movie "Closer" | Golden Skate

The movie "Closer"

Antilles

Medalist
I saw this film yesterday. It was good, but a very dark film. It doesn't really have anything good to say about love. The actors all did amazing jobs though. The emotion was very intense throughout the film. I'd recommend it, but it's not for everyone.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I cant wait to see this!!!! Jude Law is delicious, and Natalie Portman is my girl crush. This pic is high on the list of "movies to see now that I'm a graduate without a full time job."

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I have absolutely no desire to see a film about 4 self-involved hipster urbanites who mess around behind their spouses's/lovers' backs. Yawn. :p

mike79

On the Ice
I saw it the other day and thought it was great. It's a very mean-spirited movie so it won't be for those who want to see a, shall we say 'Spielberg' movie. I loved that this film gave no excuses for the behaviour of its characters: they just don't understand how much they're hurting each other.

I think this movie is the coming out party for Clive Owen and Natalie Portman. They completely steal the show and both deserve Oscar nominations, Owen in particular. Best scene in the film is when he demands the explanation from Julia Roberts.

Oh, and one other warning: For those who don't like swearing and profanity, avoid this one.

IDLERACER

Medalist
I've seen a few clips from this film, and have no desire to see it in it's entirety. I'm simply not interested in movies about people who wear expensive suits and work in tall buildings. :disagree:

mike79

On the Ice
IDLERACER said:
I've seen a few clips from this film, and have no desire to see it in it's entirety. I'm simply not interested in movies about people who wear expensive suits and work in tall buildings. :disagree:

That's too bad that you'd avoid great movies like American Psycho and WallStreet just because there are people who wear suits and work in buildings.

I'm really not getting all of this animosity from some critics and others who simply dismiss this film because there are good looking people in it, and these people have high paying jobs. Would it be better if they were on welfare and were ugly? No, it wouldn't make one bit of difference.

It's like saying that a movie is terrible and isn't worth seeing just because a certain actor is in it. Take Tom Cruise as an example. He gets slagged on by tons of people. Some people won't see movies like Magnolia or Born on the 4th of July just because he was in them. That's too bad because those were great movies.

I'm not trying to start a fight or anything but it seems like we're becoming elitists who target the elite, if you catch my drift.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I'm glad to hear this movie is good. It looks great and what a cast! It is also nice to see that Natalie Portman is finally realizing her potential. She is one of the most talented and versatile actresses in the business, but she hasn't shown that much with choices like "Star Wars" and "Where the Heart Is". She was absolutely brilliant in "Garden State" earlier this year.

heyang

Record Breaker
Natalie Portman's choices may be a balancing act. Make the commerical films for the money and notice. Once you're a proven draw, money is given to the small films that you want to make because you're in it.

Matt Damon was on Opray recently. After making Good WIll Hunting, he said that he tried to only take roles that were interesting to him. This backfired and his career went into a slump. Now, he's looking at commercial films to make a living, which allow him to support himself if he wants to take on a risky role.

Vash01

Medalist
I heard more profanity in this movie than probably all movies combined in the last 3 years (could be more!). It has no great message to deliver, yet it works as a movie. It is well made. It keeps you guessing, even after it ends because the end is subject to interpretation (I read that in the play the end is clear, but I won't spoil it by telling you all). The acting is superb by all 4 actors. Clive Owens is particularly good. One may have to see it twice to really get it- if you can stand the adult language. Very intriguing movie.

Vash

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
mike79 said:
I saw it the other day and thought it was great. It's a very mean-spirited movie so it won't be for those who want to see a, shall we say 'Spielberg' movie. I loved that this film gave no excuses for the behaviour of its characters: they just don't understand how much they're hurting each other.

I think this movie is the coming out party for Clive Owen and Natalie Portman. They completely steal the show and both deserve Oscar nominations, Owen in particular. Best scene in the film is when he demands the explanation from Julia Roberts.

Oh, and one other warning: For those who don't like swearing and profanity, avoid this one.

Thanks for the "heads up!" This movie was not on my "must see" list in the first place. My hubby mentioned it; maybe he will see this one alone.