Life after figure skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Life after figure skating

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Meryl writes very well. And she is honest. I'd read the story on Debbi Thomas before and found it to be oh so sad. I can tell you as a former child actor/singer who had to grow up and find new pathways it can be very very rough. And there is a part of oneself that never completely makes the adjustment.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I still have hope Debi might get it together - she has the brains and education. We see Yulia in demand for various skating related ventures. Michelle Kwan has many opportunities. Max Aaron has shown he has many talents / brains. Unfortunately, some find it hard like the former Canadian Champion and top five skater who ended up skating in Nudes on Ice. Joannie is in med school which is impressive and didn't Paul Wylie graduate from law. Buttle was not far from completing Engineering.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I still have hope Debi might get it together - she has the brains and education. We see Yulia in demand for various skating related ventures. Michelle Kwan has many opportunities. Max Aaron has shown he has many talents / brains. Unfortunately, some find it hard like the former Canadian Champion and top five skater who ended up skating in Nudes on Ice. Joannie is in med school which is impressive and didn't Paul Wylie graduate from law. Buttle was not far from completing Engineering.

Paul did his undergrad at Harvard and then returned to their Business School instead of Law School. He has an MBA from there, class of 2000.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker

Who was in Nudes on Ice?!

brightphoton

Medalist

I forgot, it was a random junior skater from Canada. One of Canada's top skaters gave an interview about it. She said that when she was 12 years old, another junior skater made fun of her because of her thinning hair at Nationals. That comment stuck with her. 20 years later, she went to Las Vegas, and at the nude ice skating show was her former co-competitor, wearing only her ice skates. She purchased a front row seat just so her former frenemy could feel regret for that one comment 20 years ago, that'll show her.

Some people hold onto grudges forever :palmf:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Unfortunately, some find it hard like the former Canadian Champion and top five skater who ended up skating in Nudes on Ice.

I forgot, it was a random junior skater from Canada. One of Canada's top skaters gave an interview about it. She said that when she was 12 years old, another junior skater made fun of her because of her thinning hair at Nationals. That comment stuck with her. 20 years later, she went to Las Vegas, and at the nude ice skating show was her former co-competitor, wearing only her ice skates. She purchased a front row seat just so her former frenemy could feel regret for that one comment 20 years ago, that'll show her.

Some people hold onto grudges forever :palmf:

Kay Thomson.

What???!!! :jaw: :jaw: :jaw:

Never knew there was a skating show where the skaters were in their birthday suits. I'm shocked that such a thing ever existed, but I'm even more shocked that it managed to get a skater that was actually successful.

EDIT: Just found an article talking about the show, and the skaters weren't in the altogether. They were "just" topless. But, even so...​

When I read the first post which mentioned "Nudes On Ice", I thought Skater Boy was having a jibe at a different, more recent, successful Canadian skater (who I will not name), who is now very famous as an "alternative model" who usually does shoots in the altogether.

Is there something in the (frozen) water up there that makes skaters want to take off their clothes? Like, I thought Canada was supposed to be cold... :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Wasn't Tonya Harding rumored to have been in a Nudes on Ice show in Vegas at one point?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Moving swiftly on...

This is a really interesting question, thank you for opening this thread.

Does anyone know life after skating stories of not-top skaters? Like skaters who trained professionally but didn't reach international level (eg. many young Russian ladies who are great but can't make their way out). What would they do after skating?

Although she did do a couple of international competitions, we can use one of my local skaters as an example.

Katie Allan (as she was then) was the 1996 British Junior Ladies Champion. But, she had to retire through injury not long after she turned Senior.

After her skating career ended, Katie started working in the travel industry. First as a holiday rep, and then at Birmingham Airport.

She settled down in England with her Scottish husband, and they had 2 children.

Then she developed bowell cancer. And she started campaigning to raise awareness of the disease amongst young people.

It is now 5 ½ years since Katie died at the age of 32.

I may never have met her, but I still well up whenever I think about her. :cry:

CaroLiza_fan