Quintuple jumps | Golden Skate

Quintuple jumps

Arianne

On the Ice
It may only be a matter of time before we see this jump. Wouldn't that be amazing??? Do any of you know skaters who are attempting to do a quintuple jump? I guess it would have to come from someone who was REALLY comfortable with the quad. I don't think a quintuple jump is impossible, and I do think we will see it in our time. What do you think???

Arianne

S

SkateFan4Life

Arianne said:
It may only be a matter of time before we see this jump. Wouldn't that be amazing??? Do any of you know skaters who are attempting to do a quintuple jump? I guess it would have to come from someone who was REALLY comfortable with the quad. I don't think a quintuple jump is impossible, and I do think we will see it in our time. What do you think???

Arianne

Whoa! What a minute. What about the laws of physics? Most skaters can't land quads because it is simply physically impossible to rotate four times in the air and land correctly. While some of the men are successful in landing the quads, many of them have endured recurring injuries. Timothy Goebel, the so-called "Quad King", is injured yet again, thanks to his training with the quads. Takesi Honda has been injured numerous times while training the quads, as have other male skaters. Heaven help the skaters if they try to land quintuples! The injury list would extend so far that, well, none of the top skaters would be physically capable of competing.

IMHO, I would much, much prefer to see programs of well-executed doubles and triples, with perhaps one quad, than splatfest programs of multiple attempts at quads.

Quintuple jumps? NO! :disagree:

Arianne

On the Ice
I agree with you skatefan! I was just wondering if the jump would be attempted in the future.I wonder what the point award would be under the CoP!

Linny

Final Flight
Staple?

The quad a staple? Everyone who is anyone has one? Snort. Only a handful of top skaters do them and fewer land them consistently. Even more, none have demonstrated that a quad can be done regularly without sidelining the skater when that same skater should be at the peak of his eligible career.

Plus, there's the added note that not all of the possible quads have ever been completed. Quad toe, quad salchow, quad lutz (sort of)...

A quint? Not with today's technology. Perhaps if they invent a better skate...

Linny

Lotta

On the Ice
I've thought about something like this too. But it will put a lot of pressure on the men and certainly bring up more injuries.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
There will be an article in the next issue of the French aerospace magazine, FALCONER, discussing this very issue (shameless plug - shameless plug, lol!) and there is new skate technology that may make this possible.

Whether it's an advancement or a leap backwards (pun intended) is debatable.

miki_tan

Rinkside
I think it's too early to talk about quint now.
We have only seen just 2 kind of quads (in competition).

Why doesn't we talk about quad-loop, -flip, -lutz and -axel before quint?

I think when we see 5 differernt quads as common program
or someone land quad axel, then we can talk about quint as reality.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
I didn't read the article, but I know someone asked Mishin this in an interview. He is, as most of you know, a master of jump technique. In this interview, Mishin said that in order to do a quint, the whole approach to the jump would have to change, you couldn't use the conventional entrance.

I, personally, don't care to ever see a quint.

As you know or should know the only way to be somewhat assured that your jump will be completed properly is to execute it at full speed. It's got something to do with the Law of Physics. The only skater I have ever seen do a multi rotated jump from a slow takeoff was Surya Bonaly. She used to do a double axel from a standstill. Very difficult even in ballet.

So if one garners up enough speed and be blessed by birth with natural air rotation, it may be conceivable to see someone, somewhere, when you least expect it, to execute a perfect quint.

When you think of the quad today, just how many can you list who will execute the quad and not surprise you?

Joe

soogar

Record Breaker
I was thinking about the approach too (not that I'm close to a single jump LOL) and I would think that the skater would have to have a very deep knee bend (like a sit spin deep, think of a frogleap) and shorten the edge of take off to get the height for a quint. Not to mention some very strong core muscles to hold the body extremely tight in the air. I think it would be hard for a skater to do multiple quint jumps but maybe 1-2 in a program.

Zanzibar said:
There will be an article in the next issue of the French aerospace magazine, FALCONER, discussing this very issue (shameless plug - shameless plug, lol!) and there is new skate technology that may make this possible.
OK, I am officially impressed, Z. :love: This one?

You will just have to post a link when it comes out. I hope it will be in the on-line version. I'm not sure about the availability of this magazine in bookstores here (?)

Mathman

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Mathman - it is I that am impressed at your resourcefulness - can't believe you found their website, lol - you are good, man!

I'm not sure...but most subscribers to the Falconer magazine are also customers that have forked over a few million dollars for one of Dassault Falcon's beautiful jets. Mentioned there are a few figure skating enthusiasts who might want a copy and hopefully they'll make a few available or post the story on the site.

What actually drew my attention to the magazine was it's vivid photos, especially accompanying a story last year on a female breath-hold diver...talk about a challenging sport! 500 feet down on a single breath!

(Edited to add here's a link to the female deep diver story, in case anybody is interested:

http://www.dassaultfalcon.com/whatsnew/falconer_article.jsp?DOCNUM=27885&IDOCNUM=27884)

And.....now....back to quint jumps!

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Arianne said:

Arianne

Yikes! I hope not! I think the quad should be the cut-off point for rotations. Honestly, will another turn in the air enhance anyone's jumping abilities? I think the ISU better bring back figures instead - hundreds of patterns can be traced - much safer for the skaters.

I vote no for the quint jump. :disagree:

S

SkateFan4Life

Ladskater said:
Yikes! I hope not! I think the quad should be the cut-off point for rotations. Honestly, will another turn in the air enhance anyone's jumping abilities? I think the ISU better bring back figures instead - hundreds of patterns can be traced - much safer for the skaters.

I vote no for the quint jump. :disagree:

I agree with you, Ladskater. Five rotations definitely defies the laws of physics, and it opens the door to a horrific number of injuries.

Come on, folks! Aren't the men suffering enough injuries from training their quads? The injured list is growing longer by the day.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! IMHO, of course.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Supposedly some quad jumps have been executed that have so much height in them that another rotation in the air would have been conceivable. (Elvis had a few of those). However, I should imagine it would take some pretty impressive upper-body strength to be able to get it in.

Personally, I'd rather not see one either. One guy does it and the next thing you know half the top 50 men in the world are out with broken legs. And personally for me even the quad has kind of lost its appeal; it really goes by so quickly that it may as well have been a really good triple anyway; it's not like they're able to go slo-mo once they get into the air so one could really see it. Out of all the quads we've seen since Browning's breakthrough in '88 (a quad, ironically, that was counted as "official" tho it wasn't as well executed as some that Weiss has done that DIDN'T offically count), I have seen maybe 3 or 4 that made me actually say wow. Let's just concentrate on more interesting programs; trying to see who can actually hit their head on the overhead lights and hang from the rafters has limited appeal.

LimeZest

Rinkside
Kudos to all posters who are against it. Consistant quads are now so rare that dreaming of quints seems worthless IMO.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can live without quads. I certainly don't want to see quints if it means there will be even more injured skaters. :cry: Give me interesting, beautifully balanced artistic programs! :rock:

skatere1990

Rinkside
i love seeing hard jumps... but come on.... a quint? i would rather see a program with 2 quads... preferably 2 different ones and 2 triple axels. and a skater who can "skate" i think a good one to work on would be being able to do quad triple triple combinations. IMO that would be more impressive and actually a little less hard on the body but still chalanging and pushing the envelope. i know people can do quad triple triples but consistantly would be nice. another one would be quad quad combinations... now wouldnt that be amazing?

Zanzibar

Final Flight
I think someday, in the not too distant future, there will be an obscure skater on a lonely rink in China who will undoubtedly be practicing - and landing - quintuple jumps. That's what athletes do - good or bad - they push the envelope.