2018-2019 Ice Dance's Power Ranking | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 Ice Dance's Power Ranking

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
This is my new favorite thread! I don't have anything to add right now, but I'm excited to see these calculations play out. :biggrin: I found it especially interesting to see the groupings laid out by Hyena - intriguing that so many teams have scores very close to each other, and then suddenly a 10-point gap, then another cluster...

So I guess the biggest surprise this year is now Fear and Gibson’s (GBR) FD score of over 113pts at NHK That’s the 8th best score this year. If they get their RD scores to rise, they could seriously put some pressure on some very good teams.

Yes, their FD is excellent! Looking forward to what the future will bring for them.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
They may have skipped the Grand Prix but they have been alternating showing their RD and their FD for the TTYCT. Essentially, they have been doing multiple runthroughs of their programs in front of an audience every week. Some nice fancams I found:

RD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyLzbafH0fA
FD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1RK9Wws3gE

They're looking superb :) I see them winning Nationals, 4CC and placing Top 2 at Worlds.

They will deffinitely fight for a medal (like they always did), but i feel S/B and S/K just has beter momemtum at this point of time. It was really hard to rank teams from 2nd to 5th and i think it will be a lot of different outcomes with those placements during the season depending of those teams 'mood' at the day of the compention :biggrin:

Escarbille

On the Ice
Country
France
I propose my top 15 (… and 18).
As before, it ranks couples in descending order of % of the perfect score, based on the one or two GP in which they participated.
I could not stop this ranking at L/LG (10th) because the scores are very tight until C/P (15th).

1 - Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON -> 94.5%
2 - Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE -> 87.5%
3 - Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN -> 87.1%
4 - Victoria SINITSINA / Nikita KATSALAPOV -> 86.2%
5 - Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI -> 84.7%
6 - Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER -> 81.9%
7 - Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER -> 79.8%
8 - Tiffani ZAGORSKI / Jonathan GUERREIRO -> 79.5%
9 - Lorraine MACNAMARA / Quinn CARPENTER -> 77.9%
10- Marie Jade LAURIAULT / Romain LE GAC -> 76.5%
11- Rachel PARSONS / Michael PARSONS -> 76.2%
12- Lilah FEAR / Lewis GIBSON -> 75.8%
13- Sara HURTDAO / Kirill KHALIAVIN -> 75.5%
14- Olivia SMART / Adrian DIAZ -> 74.6%
15- Christina CARREIRA / Anthony PONOMARENKO -> 74.4%

Finally, let's not forget W/P, C/B and FB/S which should probably be in the top 10, based on their performances last year

Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE -> 87.4%
Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES -> 87.2%
Laurence FOURNIER BEAUDRY / Nikolaj SORENSEN -> 78.5%

mrrice

Record Breaker
Ice dance is seriously deep this quad!

Yes it is. A US Team just won a GP and I've never even heard of them. It looks like World spots will be hard to come by. Nationals will be very exciting.

Christina CARREIRA / Anthony PONOMARENKO

Shani

On the Ice
It was a Challenger but they got a silver on the Grand Prix. And his parents were something else so it is hereditary.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Ice dance is seriously deep this quad!

I feel the opposite for this GP season at least. The field feels quite desolate with the retirements, injuries, and withdrawals. Five of the six teams for GPF have qualified for the first time. However, it also gives the opportunity for new stars to shine.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I propose my top 15 (… and 18).
As before, it ranks couples in descending order of % of the perfect score, based on the one or two GP in which they participated.
I could not stop this ranking at L/LG (10th) because the scores are very tight until C/P (15th).

1 - Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON -> 94.5%
2 - Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE -> 87.5%
3 - Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN -> 87.1%
4 - Victoria SINITSINA / Nikita KATSALAPOV -> 86.2%
5 - Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI -> 84.7%
6 - Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER -> 81.9%
7 - Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER -> 79.8%
8 - Tiffani ZAGORSKI / Jonathan GUERREIRO -> 79.5%
9 - Lorraine MACNAMARA / Quinn CARPENTER -> 77.9%
10- Marie Jade LAURIAULT / Romain LE GAC -> 76.5%
11- Rachel PARSONS / Michael PARSONS -> 76.2%
12- Lilah FEAR / Lewis GIBSON -> 75.8%
13- Sara HURTDAO / Kirill KHALIAVIN -> 75.5%
14- Olivia SMART / Adrian DIAZ -> 74.6%
15- Christina CARREIRA / Anthony PONOMARENKO -> 74.4%

Finally, let's not forget W/P, C/B and FB/S which should probably be in the top 10, based on their performances last year

Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE -> 87.4%
Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES -> 87.2%
Laurence FOURNIER BEAUDRY / Nikolaj SORENSEN -> 78.5%

The Parsons defeated Lauriault & Le Gac head-to-head at Internationaux de France.

Otherwise, I think your list is not a bad one based on what we have seen thus far.

Just an fyi that it is spelled "McNamara" and "Hurtado."

Not sure if Fournier-Beaudry & Sorensen would be in the top 10 based on last year. (They lost to Hurtado & Khaliavin at Europeans with split results in the two dances). But I do think there is a good chance of F-B&S being in the fight for the top ten at Worlds, especially when one takes into account that two U.S. teams, one Russian team, and one Spanish team will not be there. (Provided F-B&S make it out of Nationals themselves).

I also think there's not enough evidence yet to know if Fear & Gibson are ahead of the Spanish teams or behind them. I tend to think H&K above, but we'll have to see.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Fear and Gibson are definitely on the rise. Their FD is well constructed to take full advantage of the new rules and elements. And to think that for the last two Worlds, they couldn't qualify for the free and now they have PBs in the Top 15, so kudos to them. With that said, they do need to get their SD levels up to contend.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
After seeing the teams at GPF, I'm not convinced that any of them are solid World podium material. None of them comes close to P/C. G/F also just beat S/B. I believe W/P, if they skate as strong as they did on the TTYCT, are likely going to be the ones that will be the Challengers and are going to podium at the very least.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
There are some changes in top 10 after GPF:
1. Papadakis/Cizeron FRA (--) - They are in a poll position based on the highest total score, highest average GOE, highest average component score (9.75), highest free dance base value with top scoring step sequence and one-foot step sequence.
2. Hubbell/Donohue USA (--) - They benefit the most from the new +5/-5 GOE system. (On a positive note i like their FD program more now, but the concept reminds me of V/M Moulin Rouge.)
3. Sinitsina/Katsalapov RUS (+1) - The team which constantly is climbing up :clap:
4. Weaver/Poje CAN (+1) - They will be the contenders as current world bronze medalists.
5. Stepanova/Bukin RUS (-2) - If I and audience from the arena are the judges, they will be higher. But in GPF judges show they prefer more varieties in countries on the podium. S/K beat them so they went down. They are still in contention for medal tho if they beat S/K.
6. Guignard/Fabbri ITA (--) - They became a real medal contenders after GPF :clap:
7. Gilles/Poirier CAN (--) - Much better performance at their last Challenger event. They can fight for medal with that kind of skating :clap:
8. Zagorski/Guereirro RUS (+1) - Better than H/B in their last head to head performance.
9. Hawayek/Baker USA (-1) - Lost to Z/G in their last head to head performance.
10. Mcnamara/Carpenter USA (--) - Based on the average total score they win (by a hair) this place over Lauriault/Le Gac (FRA), Hurtado/Khaliavin (ESP), Fear/Gibson (GBR), Carreira/Ponomarenko (USA), Parsons/Parsons (USA) and Smart/Diaz (ESP). Fournier Boudry/Sorensen (CAN) are back and i think they can be in contention for top 10. Still waiting for Chock/Bates (USA).

1. Papadakis/Cizeron FRA (--) - They are in a poll position based on the highest total score, highest average GOE, highest average component score (9.75), highest free dance base value with top scoring step sequence and one-foot step sequence.
They are also in poll position because there's hardly any contest for them. Hubbell and Donohue will never beat them unless these two make multiple mistakes. And this might as well be called "2018-2022 Ice Dance's Power Ranking", because it is doubtful any one else will come close. I am excited to see what happens with Lajoie/Lagha and perhaps Carreira/Ponomarenko though.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
They are also in poll position because there's hardly any contest for them. Hubbell and Donohue will never beat them unless these two make multiple mistakes. And this might as well be called "2018-2022 Ice Dance's Power Ranking", because it is doubtful any one else will come close. I am excited to see what happens with Lajoie/Lagha and perhaps Carreira/Ponomarenko though.

Sinitsina/Katsalapov are going up. Russia also has 3 Ice Dance medalists at JGPF. But when skating without mistakes P/C are the clear leaders yes :biggrin: And teams ranked from 2nd to 7th will fight for silver and bronze!

Weathergal

Medalist

I would add Fear / Gibson to that if they can get their RD cleaned up, which I'm sure is no easy task, considering even the top teams aren't hitting their key points this season.

1904sk8

On the Ice
I wonder what will happen with S/B and S/K at euros, but I heard it is a zhulin panel so S/K will probably score higher

Ziotic

Medalist
Is it possible that Russia is backing S/K over S/B partially [ I don’t have a personal opinion over which is actually better] due to fear that there may be issues with WADA and IOC in 2022?

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
Is it possible that Russia is backing S/K over S/B partially [ I don’t have a personal opinion over which is actually better] due to fear that there may be issues with WADA and IOC in 2022?
S/K are better technically and after becoming quite consistent, it is logical they are starting backing S/K more

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

I don't think so. S/K are serving it this season. S/B aren't quite as consistent and while I like them more in general, I can't argue with S/K being better (albeit by a hair). Both are strong contenders for the World podium though.

Very interested to see how the judges will score W/P now that the season has gone on, and scoring is progressively more and more generous.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I wonder what will happen with S/B and S/K at euros, but I heard it is a zhulin panel so S/K will probably score higher

Where did you hear that? I didn't know Tech Panel is decided already, but even it is and if it is 'Zhulin's team friendly'(?!), if the rest of the judges award S/B with higher GOE and PCS they will reverse Tech panel's decision... Anyway, it sounds to me as something Dave and Jonathan from TSL would say just because they can't comprehend why S/K are scored the way they are...(i mean, i don't see how that 'friendly panel' helped his other teams, as Bobrova/Soloviev to medal for example, in the past)