Who will dare to support the WSF? | Golden Skate

Who will dare to support the WSF?

M

mathman444

Who will dare to support the WSF?

It seems to me that the new World Skating Federation will succeed only if it can attract the top skaters to its events. Presumably, any skater who competes in a WSF event will be banned for life from all ISU events, including the World Championships (as contrasted with judges caught cheating, who are back on the panel in a year or two).

Will any of the elite skaters feel that they can take the risk?

Mathman

H

heyang

Re: Who will dare to support the WSF?

I was just thinking that the WSF might want to start off as a professionsal figure skating organization. I know the PSA was formed some time ago and was not able to establish itself before pro skating imploded.

If they start off organizing quality pro events, they'll potentially achieve media contacts. If they can get themselves off the ground in this manner, they might be able to attract eligibles who want to compete without restrictions. If they can lure top skaters to the pro world as a viable alternative, they have a chance of lessening the power of the ISU. When ABC's contract with the ISU expires, they might be able to offer ABC or one of the other networks some good skating events.

It certainly won't be an overnight happening, but it's a worthwhile way to start.