Edea Ice Fly for Double Jumps | Golden Skate

Edea Ice Fly for Double Jumps

Ehlwren

Spectator
Hello everyone! I'm an adult male skater (22) who skated from 11 years old to 12, and recently picked it up again last year.
I have all my single jumps, and I am starting on my doubles now.
I am in need of new boots now, and I have my eye on Edea Ice Fly. I've skated in Chorus in the past and it was great to garner and then recollect all my single jumps. Since I am skating at a more proficient level than when I started in Chorus, but still not performing consistent doubles or triples, is it unreasonable to go for Ice Fly?
For reference, I am 5"10, with a lean athletic build, and weigh 150 lb.

Thanks in advance,
Ehl

P.s. I am taking consult from an Edea fitter, but I'd value your personal opinions as highly.

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
You'll end up breaking down the chorus fast based on your weight and skill level. No issue booting up with edea based on their designs. Good luck!

zjamic

Rinkside
You should be fine because of Edea's method of tying and design compared to other brands. I wear Edea Concerto and only doing singles right now, though this is due to injury recovery - otherwise I'd be learning more triple jumps or solidifying learned doubles, triples, or combo jumps.

When I was with my one skate tech getting the blades changed and fixed, my [former] other skate tech screwed me, we talked about Edeas. He said that he has adults getting Ice Flys and Pianos because they either have the money for them or the support of the models is best with their weights and heights. So, it is up to you and how much you are willing to spend and what the fitter says is best.

Good luck

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
You won't be overbooted in Ice Fly or Piano as an adult doing doubles. I would encourage you to try them both on - the two models have really different ways of fitting and feeling on the foot.

Ehlwren

Spectator
Thanks all so much for the guidance! I am consulting a lot of different people for sizing because I can't afford not to- I decided on the Ice Fly.
Though something off-putting, a fitter in Canada sized me at 305... and when I measure it myself it is only 265. Is there any logical reason for the fitter in BC proclaiming my size to be 4 cm past foot length?

alexjames08

Rinkside
a fitter in Canada sized me at 305... and when I measure it myself it is only 265. Is there any logical reason for the fitter in BC proclaiming my size to be 4 cm past foot length?

That is a serious size difference! I used to skate in 305s and now skate in 300s and the difference between that alone was very dramatic. A 305 Edea is roughly a US shoe size of 12.5. Maybe that will give you an idea of who's measurement is correct?

jf12

Final Flight
Thanks all so much for the guidance! I am consulting a lot of different people for sizing because I can't afford not to- I decided on the Ice Fly.
Though something off-putting, a fitter in Canada sized me at 305... and when I measure it myself it is only 265. Is there any logical reason for the fitter in BC proclaiming my size to be 4 cm past foot length?

Seems extreme my foot measurement is 240 and I’m wearing 250.

http://www.skatesus.com/documents/EDEAComparativeSizingChart-c.pdf

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
I had tested out an ice fly on the ice before I bought my last boots (I went with the risport) I'm a 245 in risport and a 245 in edea. If you were in a chorus, same brand, wouldn't you wear the same size in the ice fly?

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States

Yeah, that sounds incorrect. You'd be swimming in them. Skates US, which is the distributor for Edea in the states, has guidelines that say Edea sizing should typcially be 10mm longer than the actual length of the foot, obviously dependent on how the skater likes their boots to fit. When I was in Pianos I believe I was a size larger than I should have been. My feet are also 265mm in length and they put me in an Edea 280. I think I would have stuck with them if they'd put me in a 270 since I know I like snugger-fitting skates.

What have other fitters sized you at?

Ehlwren

Spectator
Mainly 270-275.
My actual foot length is 260, so I went ahead and ordered Ice Fly in 265. Thank God for skatesus and their boot trial sizing program, I feel more confident

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
Mainly 270-275.
My actual foot length is 260, so I went ahead and ordered Ice Fly in 265. Thank God for skatesus and their boot trial sizing program, I feel more confident

Glad you were able to sort it out! Enjoy your new skates :)

Ehlwren

Spectator
So more questions:
I received my Ice Fly, they are beautiful! They don't fit, so I am gonna send them back. After seeing them I decided to try Concerto. Since I got Ice Fly in 265, did it not fit because of the padding inside the boot? Should I also opt for a larger size with the Concerto? (I'm thinking 270)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
So more questions:
I received my Ice Fly, they are beautiful! They don't fit, so I am gonna send them back. After seeing them I decided to try Concerto. Since I got Ice Fly in 265, did it not fit because of the padding inside the boot? Should I also opt for a larger size with the Concerto? (I'm thinking 270)

What has your fitter said?