What ever happened to Caitlin Yankowskas | Golden Skate

What ever happened to Caitlin Yankowskas

badknees

Medalist
Wondering what Caitlin Yankowski is doing these days. I can't find anything on her.
I always felt so bad for her never being able to find a partner for the long haul.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Wondering what Caitlin Yankowski is doing these days. I can't find anything on her.
I always felt so bad for her never being able to find a partner for the long haul.

We had her for a while, when she skated with Hamish Gaman. But, then they ran out of money, and ended up retiring.

Here is how I announced their retirement on here:

Don't worry. After that excursion off topic, I'm bringing this thread back on track.

We had another couple of retirements announced last night via Facebook. And it took me totally by surprise:

Caitlin Yankowskas and Hamish Gaman (GBR)

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...36772759715971

OK, so they had not been together for long (2 seasons). And they had both been around the block a few times. And Hamish in particular isn't getting any younger. But, this team did look promising. So, it is a real shame that the road has had to end in this fashion. :disapp:

And how ironic that this news came just days after we were praising Caitlin's former long-term partner on his commentary skills! (John Coughlin, 2007-2011)

All the best to both Caitlin and Hamish for the future.

CaroLiza_fan

The Facebook link doesn't work any more. But you can get the gist of what happened from the conversation below my post.

Although they got together very late on in his career, I had high hopes for her and Hamish. But, hey, these things happen.

To answer your question, I don't know what Caitlin is doing now. But, Hamish was one of the professional skaters on this year's series of "Dancing On Ice".

CaroLiza_fan

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Still not over Coughlin dumping her for Denney. Such a dumb move.

brightphoton

Medalist
Still not over Coughlin dumping her for Denney. Such a dumb move.

Wait, is this the Caitlin who partnered with John Coughlin after the death of his mother, and she helped him work through the grief, skated Ave Maria, and then they won Nationals, got 5th? at World's, the best placement for US Pairs in a decade or something and then ...

Next season, he said lol bye Caitlin, I got a new partner.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Wait, is this the Caitlin who partnered with John Coughlin after the death of his mother, and she helped him work through the grief, skated Ave Maria, and then they won Nationals, got 5th? at World's, the best placement for US Pairs in a decade or something and then ...

6th at Worlds, but I get your point!

BlackAxel

Final Flight

Yeah, pretty much.

Finley

Record Breaker

:sad21: Too soon

pandatours

On the Ice
Didn't say he was retiring and then found new passion to team up with Denney?

Delilah had Caydee do a tryout with John before Worlds at their rink. So basically many other people at their rink knew that John was looking for a new partner before Caitlin did. I forgot if someone told her before or after Worlds but either way it did not come from John or Delilah. She does tell the whole story in her TSL interview years ago but it’s clear she doesn’t want to talk about it anymore.

I am still not over it tbh, I still think USFSA should have slashed Caydee and John’s funding but they got all the financial and politicking support and it was like his partnership with Caitlin never happened.

When the Knierims left Delilah I was just like...it’s what she deserves.gif

Icey

Record Breaker
And what is happening with Caitlin Yankowskas?
She last skated for the United Kingdom with Hamish Gaman.

September 10, 2015, Yankowskas and Gaman announced their retirements from competitive figure skating due to lack of funding.

withwings

On the Ice
i found this video from American Ice Theatre from sometime last year of her doing some footwork/choreography. This is all i could find on her in recent years.

https://www.facebook.com/AmericanIceTheatre/videos/10155035892176173/

Thank you for the video link :thank: She truly was (=is) immensely talented. So glad to see that she still is on the ice! And immensely sad :(that US pair skating lost such a wonderful skater; that her career was abrupted against her will with John Coughlin.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you for the video link :thank: She truly was (=is) immensely talented. So glad to see that she still is on the ice! And immensely sad :(that US pair skating lost such a wonderful skater; that her career was abrupted against her will with John Coughlin.

It happens all too often. Marissa Castelli's career recently was abrupted against her will with Mervin Tran. Marissa's older, though, and already happy to have moved on.

Simon Shnapir's career was abrupted against his will with Marissa Castelli, right after they went to the Olympics. Simon had wanted to try for another one.

Ashley Cain's pairs career got abrupted by her partner Joshua Reagan when he broke the partnership ... so he could skate with Caitlin Yankowskas. Ashley thought she wouldn't get to do pairs again, until 4 years later. It was John Coughlin who encouraged her to try a few pairs moves with him ... which made her fall in love with pairs again, and gave her the belief in herself that she needed. Next thing she knew, USFS was pairing her up with Timothy Leduc ....

Timothy Leduc had also had his career abrupted with Dee Dee Leng, although I don't know who initiated the break-up or if it was mutual. All of the above break-ups, except Mervin/Marissa, happened right after the pair had had a major competition win/advance/breakthrough. I recall John saying at the time that he couldn't any longer be miserable in training every day. (Was Caitlin not aware of this? From her TSL interview, I think she wasn't.) In fact, that was also why Marissa broke the partnership with Simon. She was tired of the personality struggle they had ... even though it got results. I seem to recall Simon being surprised also.

Count me among the people who never got over the Yankowskis/Coughlin break-up ... until a few days ago, when I read Ashley Cain's post and how she credited John with giving her the encouragement to love pairs again. This is interesting, because her break-up with Joshua Reagan was a direct result of Caitlin Y. having to look for -- and finding -- a new partner: Josh.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs3vRiWFDHU/ Ashley's IG post.

macy

Record Breaker
It happens all too often. Marissa Castelli's career recently was abrupted against her will with Mervin Tran. Marissa's older, though, and already happy to have moved on.

Simon Shnapir's career was abrupted against his will with Marissa Castelli, right after they went to the Olympics. Simon had wanted to try for another one.

Ashley Cain's pairs career got abrupted by her partner Joshua Reagan when he broke the partnership ... so he could skate with Caitlin Yankowskas. Ashley thought she wouldn't get to do pairs again, until 4 years later. It was John Coughlin who encouraged her to try a few pairs moves with him ... which made her fall in love with pairs again, and gave her the belief in herself that she needed. Next thing she knew, USFS was pairing her up with Timothy Leduc ....

Timothy Leduc had also had his career abrupted with Dee Dee Leng, although I don't know who initiated the break-up or if it was mutual. All of the above break-ups, except Mervin/Marissa, happened right after the pair had had a major competition win/advance/breakthrough. I recall John saying at the time that he couldn't any longer be miserable in training every day. (Was Caitlin not aware of this? From her TSL interview, I think she wasn't.) In fact, that was also why Marissa broke the partnership with Simon. She was tired of the personality struggle they had ... even though it got results. I seem to recall Simon being surprised also.

Count me among the people who never got over the Yankowskis/Coughlin break-up ... until a few days ago, when I read Ashley Cain's post and how she credited John with giving her the encouragement to love pairs again. This is interesting, because her break-up with Joshua Reagan was a direct result of Caitlin Y. having to look for -- and finding -- a new partner: Josh.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs3vRiWFDHU/ Ashley's IG post.

i don't follow pairs too closely, but this discipline clearly has way more drama than the others :laugh:
i never knew all this happened and how some skaters were abruptly "dumped" by their partner. it's almost as if we're talking about romantic relationships! haha. but that's really unfortunate some of them didn't feel like they could communicate their issues with their partner which ultimately led to the break up.