Costumes | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Costumes

lappo

Final Flight
Also, I wish bot Medvedeva and Marin Honda would bring back the costumes they used for their SPs in the Challengers as they were better for their programs.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I watched a really interesting documentary about the history of colors, and blue is probably the most interesting of all. Like you don't see much blue in pre-Renaissance painting, until they started importing lapis lazuli. Unfortunately lapis can only be found in one place: Afghanistan. So because it was so valuable, lapis lazuli blue was used almost exclusively for the Virgin Mary (usually a cape or mantle).

Yes, I'm a nerd.

Yes. My favorite Mary and child painter is the great Botticelli. I have seen many many prints cards what have you of this painting. Finally I got to see his exhibition in Boston last year. That is when I learned he used lapis to get the out of this world color that one only sees with his originals. Sadly I will never see the Ufizzi gallery where many of his paintings are. I had no idea the true color. I have a beautiful pair of lapis earrings and all in safe. Sadly left happens with caregivers.

But My earrings despite being from Fortunoff in NYC 40 years ago pale in comparison to the lapis in these paintings. My poor camera in my iPhone didn’t capture the color at all. Thanks for this post because it is a wonderful memory of seeing my favorite Renaissance painter’s work. Yes Mathman this forum is amazing at all the bright people. Woad!!!

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The men for the most part seem to again be going in for dull, 'tastefully' restrained black & neutrals, or the ever-popular 'forgot my costume so ducked in to the op shop on the way' looks. But I should mention Roman's Schindler outfit: he may not have had the budget the top men do, but he shows how a bit of imagination can go a long way to overcome that. Keegan continues to look turn of the century (and I don't meant 21st), which makes me happy.

Mikhail may be having a rough stretch, but his is the best Carmen outfit in the field - male or female - by a country mile. And Kevin Reynolds may be having an even rougher one, but he did show them how to wear black with some style.

Yuzuru's Origin (yes, I'm predictable) shows it even more, it's is right up there with Seimei as my favourites for him. Otonal I rather love too; though I do sort of see those who think the top is a tad too short, I like the way it makes his legs go on forever, and the sparkly workmanship is magnificent.

Though I usually love Shoma's (I may be one of the very few who even loved yellow Turandot!) despite the revolving wardrobe they're not working this year, but his latest FS top is rather lovely, and I adore the purple, even if I do adore it because it makes him look like a super-fierce sentient eggplant (they can always get to me via my sense of the ridiculous, truly).

I love both of Boyang's this year, the SP is such fun and so suited to his program, and the FS with its darker, softer red shading into black is mature and elegant.

I don't watch the women, but noticed pictures of Elizaveta Tuktamysheva's beautiful FS dress, and Eunsoo Lim's white dress - exquisite. I love little Starr Andrews' FS costume, gorgeous and it suits her so well. Zagitiva's SP tries far too hard, but with a bit of work could be both unusual and glorious. Marin Honda's pink makes me think of candy flowers (and hungry) and therefore also happy.

noskates

Record Breaker
Am I the only one who actually liked Carolina Kostner's bright green sparkly Faun costume she wore at Europeans?

Asides from that I really adore costumes of Vanessa and Morgan - so contemporary and so sleek and cool.

Uhhhh - possibly!!! NOrmally I think Carolina's dresses are beautiful and classy and perfect for her. The celery stalk just didn't do it for me. I'm actually not a big fan of bodysuits in general. Agree with El that Jason's yellow pants were pretty yucky. My favorite costumes on men are just all black or very plain without ribbons and chiffon and foo foo stuff hanging off the shirt. Thought Adam Rippon's costume for his FS last year was very nice.

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
I love many from woman costumes this year, i can hardly choose. Alina's SP and Eunsoo's FS dresses are standing out.

From pairs, i like Tarasova SP costume.

From men, i love Mika's Carmen costume. I like that it is not very simple, but also not too much. Suits him perfectly. It is hard to not get kitschy costumes by being too literal (see Zabiiako/Enbert). The other men costumes are too understated black-grey or overstated or big purple aubergine to like them too much.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Is this only limited to this season's costumes?

If yes, then:

Yuzuru LP
Yura Matsuda. She was so pretty in this dress. Shame about the injury.
Eunsoo Lim

I'm also happy that Liza Tuk has abandoned the mumu. Her dresses this season are beautiful.
Evgenia should go back to her ACI SP dress. It was much better and something new for her. Her current dress looks like her previous dresses from her Eteri days.
Satoko should also go back to her SA dresses because the white washes her out, and the previous LP dress is more fit for a Tango program.
Yuzuru's EX costume is also pretty but my first thought was "Why is he wearing fish flakes?" LMAO

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Third, oddly enough, is Kolyada's Free Skate outift. I've seen many Carmens (haven't we all?) but Michael's suit is just wonderful. Not primarily black as we usually see men performing to Carmen, but with the red very much present. Not a surprise when it's a woman performing to Carmen, but with men they tend to stick to blacks with a red accent. Not Kolyada though.

Oh yes, he looks very smart. Much better than the Elvis pastiche he wore last season.

rachno2

Record Breaker
Have to give a shoutout to Maé-Bérénice Méité's black and gold FS dress :luv17:

tokoyami

On the Ice
I loved Sota's costume for his FS last season. It was just GORGEOUS. I'm such a sucker for sleeves where they're loose around the forearms but tight around the wrist. Like Hanyu's 1st edition Chopin costume. Or Shoma's 2018 Turandot. Ugh so dreamy I love SLEEVES.

Also I wish Evgenia would wear something similar to Maia Shibutani's pantsuit from her 2017 SD in her new short this season.

I'm also unabashedly in love with Deniss's banana pants. He nailed the 80s aesthetic, what else could you want from him?

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Suddenly realised Samarin also wears a red jacket...but - despite that Samarin skated better but not to Carmen - Kolyada's costume is the thing.

rachno2

Record Breaker
I'm glad everybody is appreciating Kolyada's glow-up this season, but if awkward schoolboy in an Elvis jumpsuit Misha is what it takes to get him medals again, then I want him back :laugh:

AJVMSA8588

On the Ice
Women: 1. Alexia blue lp with a tasteful cut, classy. Other ladies take note 2.Eun-soo LP. It's gorgeous, flattering, and a little but sultry given her age, but so beautiful 3.Tukt LP. HM: Marin Honda LP (my mother comments how ugly it is every time, and I am I love it and want an outfit inspired by it!)

Pairs 1. Camille Ruest's dress in the free 2. Laura Barquero and Artiz Maetsu (although I am over seeing gray on the ice. Hers is my favorite body suit of the season, and he looks nice with her). 3. Morgan Cipres is the best dressed pair man, I only like Vanessa's SP dress this year. HM:. Tarasova and Morozov LP (Is the swirl the wind?) Denney and Frazier LP because it's the best they have looked.

Everyone in dance is beautiful. Men-Hanyu's LP is gorgeous...

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
For every skater who changed costumes this season, ALL the original costumes were better. Marin, Med, Satoko, Bradie... I don't get it. Why mess with perfection! Marin and Med's SP dress changes make me especially mad because their original dresses actually fit the theme of their programs, and Idgi why Satoko would ditch that dove grey dress with those gorgeous folds on the back. Grrrrr...