The Last Six to Skate at Worlds | Golden Skate

The Last Six to Skate at Worlds

Will JOANNIE ROCHETTE BE AMONG THE LAST SIX TO SKATE?

We know the four who will make the 'last six' but who are the other two?

Joannie will be among Carolina, Julia, Elena S., Vika V., Susanna, Miki, the american bronze, the Japanes bronze, and whomever you think will make this illustrious list.

given the 4 usual suspects, who will be the two to complete this final skate"

Joe

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Before I do this, I have to confess to being a bit dense -- who are 'FOUR' who supposedly have a lock on this? Michelle, Sasha, Shizuka -- who's the fourth?

nicole_l

Final Flight
Michelle, Sasha, Shizuka, and Irina, I think have the lock for top 4.

Who will the other two be?
I think it'll be Miki Ando and Joannie Rochette.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
nicole_l said:
Michelle, Sasha, Shizuka, and Irina, I think have the lock for top 4.

Irina! Of course! I guess I forgot about her because of her problems the last couple of seasons, despite the fact she had a good GP this season.

OK, then -- the other 2. I'm going with -- this is an odd choice, but -- Sebestyen and Volchkova. I'm wondering how Rochette and Phaneuf will hold up under the attention they're getting, and it's hard to pick one of the Japanese ladies without knowing how the Nationals there are going to go. I'm giving Volchkova a nod because of home-ice advantage, otherwise I'd probably pick Rochette or Poykio.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
What of Fumie Suguri? Are we writing her off so quickly? If I remember correctly, Shizuka was written off quickly last year...but came back to win in Dortmund...

ritymeez

Rinkside
I don't know. I don't think anybody is a lock for the top 6 spots, but that is just my opinion.

ATW27

On the Ice
You wonder if one of the six will be a surprise; someone you wouldn't expect to be there. Someone like Meier, or Maniachenko, or Dytrt, etc.
This, to me, seems to happen more often with the men (Lindemann last Worlds; Davydov in '03), but it does happen with the ladies (Onda in '02; Kostner in '03; Hubert in '92 - okay, that last one was the Olympics, but it was something no one saw coming). What do you think?

Andy W.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
My guess is that the last six to skate are:

Arakawa, Cohen, Slutskaya, Kwan, Ando and Carolina Kostner. I sure hope that our Susanna will place among top ten!!!

Marjaana

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Jaana said:
My guess is that the last six to skate are:

Arakawa, Cohen, Slutskaya, Kwan, Ando and Carolina Kostner. I sure hope that our Susanna will place among top ten!!!

Marjaana
If Kostner peaks in March, then I agree with you. If she doesn't, and Rochette holds up, I think Rochette will be top six. And I second your wish for Poykio; that she wasn't top ten last year was such a rip-off.

JohnnyCoop said:
OK, then -- the other 2. I'm going with -- this is an odd choice, but -- Sebestyen and Volchkova.
If Sokolova lands combinations at Russian Nationals, I think she'll get the second spot over Volchkova. If Sokolova is the second Russian lady, do you think she'll make top six?

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
hockeyfan228 said:
If Sokolova lands combinations at Russian Nationals, I think she'll get the second spot over Volchkova. If Sokolova is the second Russian lady, do you think she'll make top six?

I wouldn't necessarily rule it out, but she's been kind of all over the board as far as her results have gone the last couple of seasons. Viktoria IMO has been at least a bit more consistent, tho certainly not getting the results she was getting a couple of seasons ago -- whether this is due to the COP or due to the fact that she's lost some of her jumps (or a combination of both), I'm not sure.

shine

Record Breaker
I think the other 2 skaters in the final six, if all skated up to their ability, should be Kostner and Rochette.

Linny

Final Flight
Home field advantage

Are you forgetting the home field advantage? Those "iffy" spots will go to someone who lives in the region...

Linny

2ndmark

Rinkside
Kostner's LP at Cup of Russia was so excrutiating she may not even make the Italian team!

Linny

Final Flight
Home Field

The Worlds is in Moscow, right? Methinks that if we have any skater in the final 6 who is unexpected, it will be a Russian skater (or another skater for the region). Vika? Elena?

Remember who won Europeans when it was held in Hungary?

Linny

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
2ndmark said:
Kostner's LP at Cup of Russia was so excrutiating she may not even make the Italian team!
Kostner suffered a back injury and her training was curtailed until this fall; she has a bit more time to work up to Euros and Worlds. Italy has two spots for Worlds. Apart from Marshei, who do you think could beat her at Italian Nationals?

icenut84

Final Flight
Linny said:
The Worlds is in Moscow, right? Methinks that if we have any skater in the final 6 who is unexpected, it will be a Russian skater (or another skater for the region). Vika? Elena?

Remember who won Europeans when it was held in Hungary?

Linny

It may have been in Hungary (home ice advantage) but Julia won because she deserved to.

Kuchana

On the Ice
millyskate said:
Sasha a lock for top six? I'm betting on Irina, Shizuka, Michelle but i'm not sre about sasha.

I don't know. Even when she falls, the judges love her and give her high marks so I wouldn't count her out for the last group. I'm sure the judges will still keep her in there.

nicole_l

Final Flight
Sasha a lock for top six? I'm betting on Irina, Shizuka, Michelle but i'm not sre about sasha.

In addition to what Kuchana said, Sasha tends to kick some major butt in qualifying and short, but usually falls apart when she's in position to win in the long.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I don't know. Even when she falls, the judges love her and give her high marks so I wouldn't count her out for the last group. I'm sure the judges will still keep her in there.

I agree. Even if she takes a tumble in the SP, her presentation scores should certainly keep her in the top six. She would have to fall on every jump and screw up some other elements, IMHO.