Unpopular Opinions | Golden Skate

Unpopular Opinions

Imagine

Medalist
What are your unpopular skating opinions?

-Michelle Kwan is overrated.
-Kim Yuna's 2010 Olympic programs > 2014 Olympic Programs.
-Yulia Lipnitskaya was the real Russian National Champion in 2012 & 2014
-Eteri Tutberidze is actually a good coach, and not some child abusing witch.
-Miyahara Satoko is a boring skater

Ulrica

On the Ice
-Michelle Kwan is overrated. Disagree
-Kim Yuna's 2010 Olympic programs > 2014 Olympic Programs. Strongly disagree, Bond was...bad. Send in the Clowns is a masterpiece
-Yulia Lipnitskaya was the real Russian National Champion in 2012 & 2014 HECK YES
-Eteri Tutberidze is actually a good coach, and not some child abusing witch. Disagree
-Miyahara Satoko is a boring skater Strongly disagree

-Kim Yuna's spirals were bad
-Mao was underscored in Vancouver (still deserved the silver, but underscored nonetheless)
-Shoma's programs this season are very boring, especially when compared to Loco (that was brilliant) and Ladies in Lavender (probably his best SP ever, just beautiful).
-Most skaters exhibitions programs are repetitive and artistically lacking.

IceBallerina

On the Ice
Here’s mine and hopefully I won’t get attacked

1. While I love Yuna and Mao, I vastly preferred watching Mao
2. Despite the scandal, Tonya Harding does not get enough credit. Her jumps were huge, absolutely wild. She stood out from her American rivals.
3. Oksana Baiul 100% earned the gold over Nancy Kerrigan
4. I also think Kwan is overrated
5. I like Alina’s Carmen and I like Zhenya’s FS
6. David Wilson is not as good as a choreographer that people make him out to be

I probably have 100 more I just can’t think of any right now

rikaquegira

On the Ice
-Michelle Kwan is overrated. Disagree
-Kim Yuna's 2010 Olympic programs > 2014 Olympic Programs. Strongly disagree, Bond was...bad. Send in the Clowns is a masterpiece
-Yulia Lipnitskaya was the real Russian National Champion in 2012 & 2014 HECK YES
-Eteri Tutberidze is actually a good coach, and not some child abusing witch. Disagree
-Miyahara Satoko is a boring skater Strongly disagree

-Kim Yuna's spirals were bad
-Mao was underscored in Vancouver (still deserved the silver, but underscored nonetheless)
-Shoma's programs this season are very boring, especially when compared to Loco (that was brilliant) and Ladies in Lavender (probably his best SP ever, just beautiful).
-Most skaters exhibitions programs are repetitive and artistically lacking.
Bond was bad? Now that’s an unpopular opinion! [emoji23] Which btw I totally respect I just thought it was funny. :)

narcissa

Record Breaker
Yuzuru Hanyu's fans come from all over the world and not just from Japan.

Yuzuru Hanyu's skating and personality are more interesting than his love for Winnie the Pooh.

heyheyhey

Final Flight
I don’t have too many but I guess a big one would be that I really don’t enjoy watching Yuna Kim. She’s objectively a gifted skater but I never got into her programs, I don’t know if it’s just the programs themselves I found boring or if it’s her but I can’t get into it. She’s a bit stoic and not very engaging, like she never skated fully free if that makes sense. I haven’t seen her exhibitions/ice shows though so maybe she’s more engaging when she doesn’t have to concentrate on competing.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I don't think Michelle Kwan was overrated in judges eyes (or in more 'objective' eyes). In fans eyes sure :biggrin: Same as Yuna... And i don't think Satoko is boring. But she is not that interesting to watch eather (especially not for the first time viewers)... And Sotnikova, when she is on and clean, can be more thrilling to watch live than Yulia based on better speed, flow, ice coverage and higher jumps... Well, to answer on the topic - i think lyrical balletic style in FS is overrated. Long lines and holding the positions. Excusez-moi but that is not the only style in the world! I also like to see epic, out of box and unique ;)

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Yuzuru Hanyu's fans come from all over the world and not just from Japan.
Pretty sure that's a fact. :biggrin:

Unpopular opinion:
- people are allowed to like Mao Asada and Yuna Kim equally as much, just like a person doesn't necessarily have to choose a favorite between Yuzuru Hanyu and Shoma Uno. :love:

zenskate

Final Flight
This will be fun! :dance2:

- "They are senior skaters, so they should be able to handle criticism" is not a valid justification for bashing skaters.
- Predicting a skater's retirement due to puberty and especially predicting their retirement due to injury is cruel and uncalled for.
- Fans shouldn't be so quick to judge skaters (and coaches!) based on the crumbs of information given to us. There is a lot we don't know, and probably will never know.
- The world would be a kinder place if fans could stick to cheering on the skaters they like, instead of constantly criticizing the ones they don't like.

Nocturne

On the Ice
I also like Yuna's Vancouver Programs more than the later ones. And James Bond is actually one of my favorite programs ever xD

I also dont mind Alina's posture which everyone seems to find bad. I enjoy her skating. :)

And while I really loved Wakaba's Bond program, Im rather indifferent towards her skating in general. Bond was the exception for me

Fluture

Record Breaker
-People are allowed to like skaters equally even if they are rivals. There is no need to choose - you can like both Zhenya and Alina for example. Or everyone of the Russian junior girl power trio.

-Rational criticism is allowed as long as it‘s respectful even for skaters you appreciate. It doesn‘t make you a hater. ;)

-Alina‘s POTO program while including some rather jarring music cuts isn‘t as bad as people make it seem to be and she interprets it well.

-Alina‘s Carmen is a good vehicle for her and she sells is well.

-Team Tutberidze has a distinctive obsession for loading a program with millions of transitions and rushing movements :biggrin:

-Alena Kostornaya currently deserves significantly more PCS than Sasha Trusova. (look at point 2 before you jump at me lol)

-Satoko Miyahara deserved the silver medal at NHK and generally deserves her scores. They should just be distributed a bit differently - less GOE on jumps and more PCS

-Zhenya‘s move to train with Brian Orser in Canada was smart and the best decision she could have possibly made for her career

-Rika‘s SP is beautiful and not juniorish at all even though it‘s admittedly a bit boring compared to her outstanding FS

-Half over the boots tights should be BANNED from every skating competition. :biggrin: