Your favorite "choreographic slide" in Free Dance? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Your favorite "choreographic slide" in Free Dance?

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Not a choreographic sliding movement element per se, but I do love Weaver/Poje's synchronized slide to exit out of their choreographic character step sequence, right on the accent of the music: https://youtu.be/76mIs0L3UO4?t=236

Skatie

On the Ice
As much as I like the slides, I can’t help but notice how many ladies have large bandaids or tape on their knees or bleeding knees when they come off the ice. I know this type of move is very hard on the skin and knee bones and take a huge amount of time to heal. Beautiful to watch but Not sure these athletes need more Mandatory pounding on their bodies.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
As much as I like the slides, I can’t help but notice how many ladies have large bandaids or tape on their knees or bleeding knees when they come off the ice. I know this type of move is very hard on the skin and knee bones and take a huge amount of time to heal. Beautiful to watch but Not sure these athletes need more Mandatory pounding on their bodies.

The sliding movement is murder on the ladies knees. Especially if you are last couple in group to skate, there are so many ruts and so on in the ice at that point.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

This is true. I did a lot of contemporary dance and there are quite a few dancers who can't handle knee work on a wooden floor. Took me a long time.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Fear/Gibson choreo sliding movement is also the highest scored sliding movement (with 5.01 points) :agree:
Papadakis/Cizeron has the highest scored choreo lift (5.25) and choreo steps (5.13). Stepanova/Bukin has the highest scored choreo twizzling movement (5.00).

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
The sliding movement is murder on the ladies knees. Especially if you are last couple in group to skate, there are so many ruts and so on in the ice at that point.

Ouch! That sounds awful. And it must destroy your tights, too.

LandShark

Rinkside
Yes, Fear and Gibson have the best choreo slide of the year, but they also have the slide in the best place in the routine out of all the couples, coming as it does in the dying seconds of the programme, therefore leaving the audience with the greatest dramatic effect.

That free dance is beautifully thought out choreographically.

Cdimop

Rinkside
Yes, Fear and Gibson have the best choreo slide of the year, but they also have the slide in the best place in the routine out of all the couples, coming as it does in the dying seconds of the programme, therefore leaving the audience with the greatest dramatic effect.

That free dance is beautifully thought out choreographically.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what a slide actually is?........ I remember Paul Wylie performing "miss Saigon" and he ended with a long slide on the ice on his knees

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
What makes the slide unique is that it’s, if I’m not mistaken, the only recognized element in any discipline that doesn’t use the blades of the skate during its execution.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Maybe I am misunderstanding what a slide actually is?........ I remember Paul Wylie performing "miss Saigon" and he ended with a long slide on the ice on his knees

No, we're not talking about gimmicky slides for shows. The Choreographic Sliding Sequence is a new element this season that Ice Dancers can include in their free dance. (IIRC they have to include three Choreographic elements - the others are Twizzle, Spin, Character Step Sequence, and Dance Lift, IIRC. They choose from those).

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Choreographic Sliding Sequence is a new element this season that Ice Dancers can include in their free dance. (IIRC they have to include three Choreographic elements - the others are Twizzle, Spin, Character Step Sequence, and Dance Lift, IIRC. They choose from those).

As was mentioned in the OP. Here are definitions of all elements.

Definition of Choreographic Elements:

• Choreographic Lift: Dance Lift of minimum 3 seconds and up to ten (10) seconds, performed after all the other required Dance Lifts

• Choreographic Spinning Movement: spinning movement performed anywhere in the program, during which both partners perform at least 2 continuous rotations in any hold,The following requirements apply:

• on one foot or two feet or one partner being elevated for less than 2 rotations, or a combination of the three
  • on a common axis which may be moving.
• Choreographic Twizzling Movement: twizzling movement performed after the required Set of Twizzles, composed of 2 parts.The following requirements apply:
  • for both parts: on one foot or two feet or a combination of both,
  • for the first part: at least 2 continuous rotations performed simultaneously and both partners must travel (cannot be on the spot)
  • for the second part: at least one of the partners has to perform at least 2 continuous rotations and one or both partners can be on the spot or traveling or a combination of both.
• Choreographic Sliding Movement: performed anywhere in the program, during which both partners perform controlled sliding movements on the ice.The following requirements apply:
  • Continuous controlled sliding movement by both partners at the same time on any part of the body
  • May be in hold or not touching, may also rotate.
  • Controlled sliding on 2 knees or any part of the body will not be considered as a Fall/Illegal Element by the Technical Panel during this element.
  • Sliding Movement cannot finish as a stop on 2 knees or sitting/lying on the ice, otherwise it will be identified as a Fall/Illegal Element and shall be called accordingly.
• Choreographic Character Step Sequence The following requirements apply:
  • Performed anywhere in the program
  • Must be placed around the Short Axis and proceed from barrier to barrier
  • May be in hold or not touching

Last edited:

Teddy99

Rinkside
I don't have a favorite yet but I tell you I love that this as well as choreography moves has been added as scored! #LoveIt

Roast Toast

Medalist
I don't have a favorite yet but I tell you I love that this as well as choreography moves has been added as scored! #LoveIt

It's funny because those elements have generally been very well received -- this thread is a good example, and I personally believe the character step sequence was a brilliant idea, my favorite moment in so many FDs -- but they are also the most glaring example of the power of GOEs over levels in scoring that people are complaining about this season. You can rack up an insane amount of points on these crowd-pleasing elements that essentially only have to look good. It'll be interesting to see how they fine tune this system over the years. Maybe three choreo elements is too many?

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It's funny because those elements have generally been very well received -- this thread is a good example, and I personally believe the character step sequence was a brilliant idea, my favorite moment in so many FDs -- but they are also the most glaring example of the power of GOEs over levels in scoring that people are complaining about this season. You can rack up an insane amount of points on these crowd-pleasing elements that essentially only have to look good. It'll be interesting to see how they fine tune this system over the years. Maybe three choreo elements is too many?

For me, 3 is fine, but I wish that with the new GOE system they would adjust the difference between levels again so that they matter a bit more on other elements. That would balance it out for me.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker

That's the point. To make figure skating a more of a crowd pleasing sport. Not the one where only the 'teached' one will discuss about the 'levels' which are significant only in the 'judges eyes' ;)

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
That's the point. To make figure skating a more of a crowd pleasing sport. Not the one where only the 'teached' one will discuss about the 'levels' which are significant only in the 'judges eyes' ;)

I think people do have a basis for saying that the new BV differences between levels are too small. As an example, the difference between a level 1 and level 4 step sequence is only 1.5 points but there is a huge difference in the amount of intricacy, variety of turns and holds, and perfection in execution needed to achieve level 4, namely:

Source (page 16):
Level 1 (for each partner)

Step Sequence is not interrupted more than 50% of the pattern in total, either through Stumbles, Falls or any other reason
AND
Footwork includes at least 1 Type of Difficult Turn (Only the first attempt of the Difficult Turn is considered for level)
AND
At least 1 Dance Hold must be established

Level 4 (for each partner)
Step Sequence is not interrupted at all, either through Stumbles, Falls or any other reason
AND
Footwork includes at least 5 different Types of Difficult Turns (if Twizzle is included it must be done with at least two rotations –“Double Twizzle”) (Only the first attempt of the Difficult Turn is considered for level)
AND
Turns are multidirectional
AND
All Steps/Turns are 100% clean
AND
At least 3 different Dance Holds are included

In contrast, the difference between earning 0 and +2 GOE on a choreo element is 1.66 points. Why spend all that effort on a upping the difficulty and perfecting the execution of steps/turns when one can just make up the points through positive features on the choreo elements and then some :rolleye:?