2018 Internationaux de France: Thoughts, Analysis & Reviews | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2018 Internationaux de France: Thoughts, Analysis & Reviews

bramweld

Record Breaker
It was worth the wait just to see G/G :love:. I really also liked the programs from H/B and S/D. I really hope they can improve.

Medvedeva has a long road ahead, but maybe this sets her up for a Tuktamysheva like comeback.

Kudos to Jason Brown and Nathan Chen for making the USA proud again.

It was a really intriguing event.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Best jump replays ever! The camera crew / editing team / director / whoever is responsible really knew what they were doing... Double replays of jumps (from different angles) in the SP was a nice touch. The close-ups on the feet enabled us to see the takeoff and landing and even the ice tracing super clearly. I’ve never seen it done this well.

Roast Toast

Medalist
The slow-mos in dance were also glorious. I really didn't get it because the programs themselves were often horribly shot, the spins in singles especially.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Sometimes I wonder how P/C feel about their hometown GP being so janky and unprofessionally run compared to everyone else's... Gabriella has certainly made her opinion of the medals, erm, table decor clear, but really... their other GP was gonna be NHK lol.

Globetrotter

Medalist
I really couldn’t agree more. It was a messy program that every skater on earth has from time to time. I really wonder about her coping skills/competitive mindset tbh. No one in any sport can win all of the time. This cannot be such a hard concept to accept? She was stone faced the entire program(as well as the sp) but still received pretty generous pcs, she knew she made mistakes but seemed surprised at her score ....I’m not saying in the past she didn’t work hard but compared to many skaters she had a pretty easy ride...mistakes overlooked, pcs rising and rising even tho there was no discernible difference in the skating being shown,basically the same programs for two years, positive goes for mistakes. Now with that cushion apparently being gone we get to see what she’s really made of.

That is exactly what so many spectators find confusing. Big rise in PCS, high GOEs even with edge issues (3fLz), muscled out jumps 3T combos. Ironically, despite the messy delivery, one can tell that Zhenya has improved on her SS - surer edges, smoother turns and glides. There are not as many crammed transitional moves but those that are there are making more sense and better quality over quantity. These really are improvements that ought to be reflected in PCS but they are not. I was never a Zhenya fan but the scoring is really leaving me more head scratching than ever.

curious

Final Flight
Im sorry but what is really brians end game with med. Why is he teaching an injured skater with a bad back new combos. leaving a triple triple combo in her short as her last jumping pass is so stupid. the ebi

lichi

sui holding a deep edge
On the Ice
I think that Medvedeva not making the GPF might be a blessing in disguise! She will have now more time to practice and concentrate on her programs for the Nationals & Europeans. She was injured in the summer if I recall correctly?

Agree! She needs time to work on her programs- including the spins! She'd be getting so many more points. Unfortunately, even if she made the final, I don't think she would've been in the right state to perform her best. I hope this extra time will give her what she needs at Russian Nats. Please, Zhenya, blow them out of the water! :pray:

Otherwise, the Japanese ladies had beautiful showings. I love them all- and good luok to Rika in the GPF!
Rika's demonstrated her quick reactions by playing safe with the axel combination.
Marin's skates are wonderful, even with the UR and pops. She really has a star quality to her.
Mai is so graceful as a skater, and I wish her luck for Japanese Nats (JPN/RUS Nats are gonna be a bloodbath.

Great showing for Jason, nice turn around after SC. His spins and steps are so beautiful- glad they are being properly rewarded in this judging system.
Shame for Boyang, but I hope he has time, and look forward to him in 4CC (?). The entry on the 3A was ambitious to say the least.

French has nice showings, with still room to improve. Got two very deserving golds.

Gilles/Porier FD is still :luv17:

Having now seen the U.S. television coverage of the LP, I have to say that the overwhelming impression I had was how dismal and dreary all the music was. Somebody please throw in a lively Schottish or Polka, or even a march. :yes:

Brady Tennell. She did very well. (A poem.)

Too bad there isn't a sixth component score for "charming." That would put Marin Honda on the podium despite some doubled jumps.

I join in the chorus applauding Jason Brown's performances. Figure skating is not, after all, a one-trick pony sort of thing. In pole vaulting you jump 16 feet, then for an encore you jump 17 feet. We do not want figure skating to go, you do a quad toe then for an encore you do a quad Salchow. The end. ( I started to say "one-way monkey," but only fans of Project Runway would get it. ;) )

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
The cinematography was excellent. The skating, not so much.

Highlights: seeing NNF’s gift make it to Piper and Paul (that was awesome, seriously) and both Tabsy and NNF on the cam — Tabsy, your smile radiates the same warmth as your posts here. Really glad to see two posters I’ve come to recognize around here have such a great time.

gizmo

On the Ice
I watched all the Men’s programme, the time for the others is difficult on my side of the world, so I just watch some of the replays.

Jason!!! So happy for him, now this is a proof that how the new GOE system does reward a skater who completes all the elements beautifully and has all the skating skills and artistry. This is really so much more enjoyable to watch than a programme filled with quads but lacks the transitions/ skills / choreography.
That SP is almost perfect, the FS, he still have a lot of room to grow, add the quad when ready, land all the jumps, he is really in the game!!
I have to admit that when I saw he got his silver, I screamed out JASON…..and then Junlieeettt!!!!! Yipee!!!!

Nathan, it seems that his condition is not as good as Skate America, I hope studying and training will eventually work out for him.

Boyang, losing faith in him now, of course, we never know if Brian Orser can really help had he moved, but now he is not even keeping his usual level this season, he is deteriorating…..what happened!??? The jumps usually he can rely on, desintigrating, and now seems to go nearer and nearer to the boards…..arrrh. When I first saw the SP first performed in a Japan Ice Show, he seemed to have improved in his choreographic moves / step sequence, now its all gone again. BAFFLED!!!!! He seem to have no fire in him at all!! I do think there might be something that cannot be said that is behind his not wanting to move training base. Really doubt he can be at the top again.

Zhenya, she seems so not herself during competition, I think she is putting a lot of pressure on herself, being in the middle of those media / internet comments. She really need some time to bring things back together again, I think she is getting things working out, but still need time to overcome the nerves and pressure to get them all worked out during competition. I hope now she need not worry about GPF, she can have more time to focus. She is struggling and I can see her frustration, but there is some determination in there for her wanting everything to work out here.

Vanessa and Morgan, my favourite pair this year, they are getting better and better, some mistakes but it’s their season to win!

Gabriella and Guillaume, the FD is breathtaking, that spiral lift….Stunning!!! yes someone said it up their, first reaction I saw that move, did he hurt his back for this move?!

tabsy

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
The cinematography was excellent. The skating, not so much.

Highlights: seeing NNF’s gift make it to Piper and Paul (that was awesome, seriously) and both Tabsy and NNF on the cam — Tabsy, your smile radiates the same warmth as your posts here. Really glad to see two posters I’ve come to recognize around here have such a great time.

Thank you for the kind words :luv17: I had an absolutely fantastic time. And now I can go home and rewatch it all with commentary!

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
because the programs themselves were often horribly shot
this
all the closeups at the wrong moments :shocked: took me out of many programs

+ I actually liked that flags on the screen thingy & KnC background (after CoR one & million writings on the ice:palmf:)

BK it feels like after their SP they got afraid of the very real chance of getting to GPF & the stress really got to them. Poor kids:sad21: Anyway it's still a good experience for them int eh future to take it step by step. Thay's still very young but look super mature. & the judges clearly love them. Them being super intelligent as people irl makes me sure that they will analise everything & next time they can use this experience to their advantage. Tamara rules btw hehe :luv17:

Obviously the emotion of joy of the comp I felt seeing SinKats & their result & sheer emotion & the reaction they got from the public!:points: :hap93: Not that I believe they can fight 'TAT grandson' for Nat champs title :laugh: But he won the twizzle battle! Vika's leg has me very worred. SO Im super biased but I didnt feel they were THAT worse than PC liike the score indicates. :biggrin::slink:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My biggest takeaway - this competition continued a general trend of "blah" from me.

Too many programs look the same, have similar music, similar vibe.

I keep telling myself that the first year after the Olympic season doesn't always produce the most memorable skating. But man, I'm just struggling to really like a lot of what I'm seeing.

I think that's why I'm so intrigued by Disco Brits and the Korean Romeo. Heck, I don't even mind so-called Australian Disaster Grease. At least they are different kinds of programs. In an ocean of emo lyrical programs, there are few islands of individuality and originality.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
If the GP of France sees this typewriter they might think these will make good gifts for next year: Imagine a skater juggling a large plastic star or baseball base, a GPS watch and a typewriter on the victory stand whilst staring lovingly at the pixalited version of their flag.

If FFSG decides typewriters are a thing next season, I hope Jason isn't assigned to IdF (though HE DOES SO WELL IN FRANCE) next year cause he's already struggling with the stuff he's got here.
https://twitter.com/tegomass/status/1066380226547060736

:laugh:

Last edited:

ElSoteroLoco

On the Ice
I'll just add some short and quick thoughts:

Jason: Very happy for him, he seems to be finding himself back, which is good.
Evgenia: People need to give this girl a break....give her some time to adjust. She literally is starting everything over everything. New country, New coach, New technique. It doesnt happen
overnight. Maybe by next season she'll start getting it together

Alexander: There is "something" about him that he has that I like that Dmitri and Mikhail do not. I can't exactly figure it out yet....maybe he looks like has "grit". Either way, I like him and
enjoy his style.

Nathan: It makes me wonder, how great is this guy going to become? People love to hate on him for whatever reasons, but, he's studying at Yale FULL TIME, and skating FULL TIME. He has
own unique style and seems to be handling this unbelievable schedule extremely well. I'm very proud of him and hope he continues to get even better.

Kevin: This guy skating is really good. I like his quirky original "cirque du soleil" kinda moves. LOL. I'm surprised he doesn't do better in results.

Bradie: Clearly the best female American skater, and a good solid competitor.

Rika: Why are people comparing this skate to the NHK one? I actually commend her for collected presence of mind to change the second 3A to a 2A/3TL....so smart, and she stayed
consistent. Possibly the only real threat to Alina. I will enjoy watching her progress.

Mai: She's a lovely skater, but, i find her similar to Satoko, in the sense I know she can skate good, she puts down good skates...but i cant remember anything "WOW" about her
performances, as i do with Rika or Wakaba.

Additional Note: Why were the medallists not awarded any medals? And whats with the no flags being raised but instead having it on a flat screen? What a mess! And didnt they do something like this last time when the GPF in France 2016? Whats up with this???!!!!

LaArdilla

Medalist
Sometimes I wonder how P/C feel about their hometown GP being so janky and unprofessionally run compared to everyone else's... Gabriella has certainly made her opinion of the medals, erm, table decor clear, but really... their other GP was gonna be NHK lol.

Probably that’s why they picked NHK (as world champs they could), to make up for IdF, hahaha).

leoleo

Medalist
I feel very lucky to have witnessed Piper and Paul's starry night live! that was wonderful, i wish they had made it to the final but it's fine. We'll see them again at nationals.
Heartbroken for Mai & Zhenya! Although i am a huge Rika fan, i would have been fine with Mai at first (if she hadn't messed up her 3S), that would have qualified her for GPF and 4 japanese ladies at GPF would have been a dream.

I am so proud of Rika's fast reaction to her first 3A. I don't think the Rika from last season would have thought this fast, she is learning and her competitive spirit is just crazy! Excited to see how she performs at the GPF. To think she didn't even have 2 assignments and here she is, the only girl with the olympic champion to win both her assignments :sad21:

tjskate

Rinkside
I just have to say - congrats to Jean-Luc and Kaitlin for making your first Senior Grand Prix final!! Our hometown boy has done well (I'm a member of Seattle Skating Club and we have watched him grow up :))