The Jury's back | Golden Skate

The Jury's back

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
in less than 2 hours the Jury will sentence Scott Peterson to either Life or Death... they could be a hung jury... but I doubt it...

Antilles

Medalist
That's such a difficult thing to make a jury decide. I'm surprised the entire penalty phase isn't handled by a judge. Even for the most heinous of crimes, I don't think I'd want someone's death sentence on my conscience.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yep, listened to it on Court TV... very quick the way they said it... and a very quick poll of the jury...

*sigh* while I'm glad for the decision... it's still so hard to think of now what his family is going through... there's no real closer to this and the hurting will continue

however he'll be more protected on Death Row than he would be if he just ended up with life... and while a lot of people want him to get the snot knocked out of him whenever possible... I don't. he was cold, he was cruel... but I don't want him to have anything but his own cell where he really has nothing to do but think of why he's in there... and if real justice were served all he'd have plastered on his walls would be laci... and conner... and maybe audio recordings of her voice 24/7 until he's executed... though maybe I'm going too far... :laugh:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
It's always hard for me when those cases come up. When a question is put as "Given that death penalty is a fair punishment, should the person be executed?" the answer in a case such as this is a "yes" (though I have a problem with him being charged with a second murder on the part of the unborn child). OTOH, I am against death penalty, and feel that we as a society degress every time we put someone on death row. I am very glad that Massachusetts still has not re-instate capital punishment despite often wide support for it.

Personally, I was even against execution of Timothy McVey, though for a different reason. I never believed that only he and Terry Nichols were involved in the plot. I felt that perhaps with time he would have been made to talk to tell about who else was in it. Now that he is dead we'll never know.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I am against death penalty, and feel that we as a society degress every time we put someone on death row.

I totally agree. Society should be above this. Giving someone the "death penalty" puts society on the same moral level as the one accused of murder. 42

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
show 42 said:
I totally agree. Society should be above this. Giving someone the "death penalty" puts society on the same moral level as the one accussed of murder. 42

Well said Show.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
considering he's the latest one on "death row" he'll probably die of old age or suicide before he dies by lethal injection...

skatepixie

On the Ice
Cali needs to really look at the way we handle appeals. There should be some sort of limit. Texas doesnt seem to have problems actually carring out what the jury has recomended.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
skatepixie said:
Cali needs to really look at the way we handle appeals. There should be some sort of limit. Texas doesnt seem to have problems actually carring out what the jury has recomended.

Yes, and we know how wonderful the system is in Texas...

Yeah, let's limit the appeal processes that actually help the judicial system get closer to the truth and just execute them as early as possible.

:rolleye:

Flora MacDonald

Rinkside
skatepixie said:

Texas doesn't seem to mind executing children, the mentally disadvantaged and innocent people.

For all you death penalty fans, consider how you might feel if you were wrongly convicted with shoddy evidence. Ever gotten a speeding ticket you didn't think was justified?

I can not understand people who enjoy a sentence of death. That includes Peterson when Lisa's mother said, divorce was an option. But to kill him and that is what we will be doing just doesn't take away the concept of 'thou shalt not kill'. Makes no sense.

And a few days later, Pelosi, guilty of murder, gets life. I know it's state law but still are we not all Amerikans? Oh, those rich people in East Hampton summer homes :confused:

Joe

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I don't know about the rest of you but when I hear that a death sentence has been handed out and even worse when one is carried out I get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach and a feeling of sadness that stays with me for days. On Court TV while they were waiting for the sentence to be announced they kept showing the crowd outside of the courthouse. People were laughing and waving to the camera like they were visiting Disneyland.....disgusting.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I don't get the death penalty...

I think it's barbaric. I would have no problem with folks convicted of crimes spending 16 hours a day making gravel out of boulders. But the death penalty to me is just more murder. Add on top of that the folks who have been put to death, and it was later discovered they were innocent. Yikes.

I was also concerned yesterday hearing about some jurors on this case that were interviewed, and gave reasons for their guilty verdict such as "he didn't seem to show any emotion....." "He didn't testify in his own defense....." etc. While those issues may be difficult to ignore, jurors have an obligation to ignore those things.

Out of curiousity, I think I'm going to start another thread to see who all has been on a jury and how you found the experience.

DG

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
I was also concerned yesterday hearing about some jurors on this case that were interviewed, and gave reasons for their guilty verdict such as "he didn't seem to show any emotion....."
I disagree with you on this point. I think it is reasonable to say, "This person shows remorse; therefore I think he may change; ergo, I won't vote to put him to death -- I'd rather he live and fully realize all his mistakes". The opposite then should be true.

Though, of course, this makes it that much easier to manipulate the system. Also, you should then admire our current president -- as governor, he had no problem ignoring all emotional arguments to go ahead with executing Carla Fae Tucker (sp?) without even loosing a minute sleep over it.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
I can not understand people who enjoy a sentence of death. That includes Peterson when Lisa's mother said, divorce was an option. But to kill him and that is what we will be doing just doesn't take away the concept of 'thou shalt not kill'. Makes no sense.

And a few days later, Pelosi, guilty of murder, gets life. I know it's state law but still are we not all Amerikans? Oh, those rich people in East Hampton summer homes :confused:

Joe

if you're looking for the Bible's "thou shalt nots" it's actually "thou shalt not murder" however Americans have watered it down... sorry just had to get that out. Have I mentioned my dad's a youth pastor :laugh:

By all accounts, Peterson led a pretty well to do life... he wanted for very little if anything... he sounds to me like a spoiled little brat from the testimony his family gave... but that's just me (I was a spoiled brat too... but that doesn't mean I'd kill someone)

I think he did it, but I don't think it was premeditated... I think they were in a heated argument and he lost it and bang! he killed her. CA has this sucky thing where premeditation is very sketchy... if he thought at all about killing her then he planned it...

I think he planned the cover up, not the actual murder... and the only reason he planned the cover up was because there was something he had to cover up. We'll never know...

Sharon Rocha was the one person that really put the Jury over... IMHO... her testimony was SO POWERFUL....

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
if you're looking for the Bible's "thou shalt nots" it's actually "thou shalt not murder" however Americans have watered it down... sorry just had to get that out. Have I mentioned my dad's a youth pastor :laugh:
Hey, "Americans" have nothing to do with it, it's in the King James Bible translation. Though you are absolutely right about the Hebrew original.

In Judaism, according to Talmud you can execute a person if there were three eye witnesses to the crime (I could be wrong about the number); and only a special court can make this sentence (kind of like if only the US Supreme Court could make this decision). BTW, the religious authorities in Israel have opposed death penalty, even in the case of Adolf Eichmann, on the grounds that such court does not exist in the secular Israel.

Tonichelle said:
And the bible interpretations go on and on and on. I wonder what they will be in 2050? So it's ok to kill now, but not ok to murder. I guess with all the deaths in Iraq because of a mistake in judgement are ok. So no tears for all those people who were killed. hmmm.

Joe

Antilles said:
Who says the death penalty isn't murder? There are so many ways to interpret things....
Trouble with the Religious Right is that they are unaware that there is a Religious Left. The RR believe only they know what is correct. yeah yeah.

Joe