Flashback to the 1980 Winter Olympics | Golden Skate

Flashback to the 1980 Winter Olympics

S

SkateFan4Life

I viewed my videotape of the 1980 Winter Olympics, held in Lake Placid, New York. Here are some of my impressions -all my own opinions, of course.

The men's competition:
How far the bar has been raised, technically, during the past 25 years! Great Britain's Robin Cousins, who won the gold medal, landed three triple jumps - a triple loop, triple toe, and triple walley. He landed an absolutely huge delayed single axel, two clean double axels, a double flip, double lutz, and a variety of crisp, fast spins. Robin's choreography was very interesting and intricate, and part of his music was taken from the soundtrack of "Murder on the Orient Express". Watching this program, I thought, "Robin deserved to win, and he's been a wonderful Olympic champion - but if he was competing today, he'd be a junior-level skater." And the same can be said for the rest of the men.

The men's silver medalist, East Germany's Jan Hoffman, skated a long program that was, quite frankly, pretty limited in artistic content. He landed several triples, but they were landed a bit awkwardly, and he showed little, if any musical interpretation. I recall that a "Sports Ilustrated" article on the figure skating competition included a photo of Hoffman with the remark that "Hoffman looked like an expertly spinning oak tree as he performed". Not exactly complimentary. Hoffman went on to win the World title a few weeks after Lake Placid.

Charlie Tickner of the USA, the men's bronze medalist, landed two triples, a number of doubles, and skated a good, but not great, long program. He seemed to be almost unaware of the music and was just using it as a vehicle to spring up and land jump after jump.

The fourth and fifth placed men, America's David Santee and Scott Hamilton, respectively, skated clean long programs and did well to place as high as they did. Santee skated to selections from "Rocky" - music he skated to for several competitive seasons. I would call his skating strong and solid. Hamilton skated with a lot of speed and exhuberance, if not with a lot of style.

In those days, none of the men performed triple axels, and most of them also did not perform triple lutzes. Again - how far the men have come! On the other hand, I don't remember the long list of injuries that plagues today's skaters. The men in those days stayed relatively healthy and injury-free, for the most part.

The ladies' competition:
IMHO, Denise Biellman of Switzerland should have won the gold medal, with her outstanding, athletic skating - her triple lutz and the wonderful Biellman spin. Instead, she had to settle for fourth place, out of the medals. Denise was not a great compulsory school figures skater, and her placement in that phase kept her off of the Olympic podium. I liked her jazzy, strong style and her great jumps. She was clearly a champion in the wings.

The women's gold medalist, Annet Poetzsch of East Germany, presented a long program to the sountrack of "Funny Girl" - an obvious attempt by her coach Jutta Muller to appeal to the American audience. Annet stumbled on one of her two triple attempts and only landed one triple jump. Her jumping technique was quite stilted, in my opinion, yet she seemed to convey a joy of skating and had some nice moments in the program. She was a strong school figures skater and had won that phase of the competition. Annet finished fourth in the short program and third in the long program, yet her overall points were enough to carry the day for her. She was the first East German woman to win Olympic gold, and she was quite emotional when her country's anthem was played.

I enjoyed American Linda Fratianne's "Carmen" long program, and watching it, I thought, "This was a better long program than Poetzsch". She landed two triples at the beginning of her program - salchow and toe - and landed a number of clean doubles. While there were no obvious mistakes or watering down of jumps, Linda did not present a fiery Carmen. She looked like a schoolgirl out there, trying to portray an adult character. IMHO, of course! Linda had finished third in the school figures, first in the short, and second in the long. We all remember the controversy that surrounded the judges' decision. When all is said and done, however, Poetzsch won according to the rules.

The bronze medalist was West Germany's Dagmar Lurz, a lady who turned in a totally boring, uninspired long program (IMHO). Watching this I thought, "How in the world did this skater win the bronze and Biellman was left off the podium?" Of course, the cumulative scores told the story.

The pair's competition:
Again, I saw the heartbreaking withdrawal of US champions Tai Babilonia and Randy Gardner. Randy had injured his groin prior to the US Nationals and had reinjured the groin in a late night practice session at Lake Placid. As they were warming up for the short program, Randy attempted several double flip jumps and fell each time. Clearly, something was wrong. After all of the skaters had cleared the ice, Randy came out alone and attempted another double flip and landed on his seat. At that point, he skated to the boards, conferred with his coach John Nicks, and he and Tai were seen leaving the ice, with Tai in tears. Dick Button, commentating, said, "I don't feel sorry because they're Americans. I feel sorry because they have trained for so many years and have reached the point where they can show the world how great they are. What a luck of the draw!"

The Soviet Union's pair team of Irina Rodnina and Alexandr Zaietev won their second consecutive Olympic title (her third, as she had won in 1972 with former partner Alexsei Ulanov). Their long program was strong and solid, but, frankly, it wasn't artistic (IMHO). Just a lot of simple stroking and little, if any musical interpretation. At the end of their long program, they were clearly tired, and finished with a wimper, not with a bang. Yet, they won. It was nice to see that the pro-American audience, who had wanted to see Tai and Randy on the podium, enthusiatically cheer Irina and Alexandr.

Soviet pair Marina Cherkasova and Sergei Shakrai won the silver medal. I was amused as I watched them skate again. Marina was a tiny wisp of a girl - probably no taller than 4'6", while Sergei was around 5'10" or so. As a result of their huge height difference, Sergei threw his partner in the air like a rag doll.
They skated with unison, but their height difference and Marina's tiny body made them look like a very mismatched pair - sizewise - in my opinion. Still, they skated well enough in the judge's view to win the silver medal.

Kitty and Peter Carruthers, the US pairs silver medalists, skated well and finished fifth. Not bad for your first major senior international competition.

Pairs skating has clearly advanced, technically speaking, during the past two decades. None of the pairs at Lake Placid performed the kind of triple twist lifts, throw triples, and side-by-side triples that are standard fare in today's top pairs.
Cherkasova and Shakrai did perform a triple twist lift, but, again, it was so much a matter of an adult man throwing a little kid in the air that it did not look like the kind of twist lift that is done today - IMHO.

The ice dance competition:
Soviet dancers Natalia Linichuk and Gennadi Karponosov won the gold medal with a performance that, IMHO, was strong but uninspired. There was a lot of posing but not much choregraphy and dancing. The audience clearly wasn't exactly thrilled with their performance, either, and they gave the Soviets tepid applause.

The silver medalists, Hungarians Kriztina Regoczy and Andras Sallay, skated a lively long program to folk music. They were the audience favorites and earned a loud ovation, but the marks weren't that generous (IMHO). Frankly, I thought they should have won the gold medal, as they performed more intricate steps and showed far, far more musical interpretation.

Another Soviet dance pair, Irina Moiseeva and Andrei Minenkov (known as "Min and Moe") won the bronze medal. I liked their long program and thought it was beautifully skated.

All of the above are my own opinions, of course.

S

SkateFan4Life

Did any of you folks watch the 1980 Winter Olympics? If so, what were your impressions? I can't be the only person on this message board who has memories of Lake Placid. :biggrin:

pollyls

Rinkside
Lake Placid memories

I was 12 years old and what I remember most vividly was Tai and Randy's withdrawal. I was heartbroken.

I remember Scott Hamilton carrying the flag, too. :)

Your flashback sure brought back a lot of memories! Thanks so much for posting it.

floskate

On the Ice
I have to agree with your assessment SkateFan4Life.
Although to be fair to the likes of Robin, the skaters in those days did what they had to do to win. Robin had a triple axel - no wonder when you see the size of his double, a triple lutz and a triple flip but never needed them in competition to win. He was barely defeated in the last 2 years of his career when it came to free skating.

Jan Hoffmann really produced his very best skating in the season of 1980. Till then his programs were dour with utterly ridiculous choreo, but if you watch 1978 or 79 Worlds there are clear improvements. He really went for it, and you can only admire his hard work and determination which was rewarded with a World Title just a few months after the Olys. Although robin won the free again. And Scottie Hamilton was a star!!

Ladies - oh where do you start? Biellmann naturally stole all the thunder with a performance that would stand up today as respectable. Poetzsch was awful and really had it in the bag from the figures. Fratianne SHOULD have won the Gold based on her overall performance through the 3 phases of competition. Denise was bad at figures although she did improve miraculously in her winning season of 81!! :laugh:

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
How far the bar has been raised, technically, during the past 25 years! Great Britain's Robin Cousins, who won the gold medal, landed three triple jumps - a triple loop, triple toe, and triple walley. He landed an absolutely huge delayed single axel, two clean double axels, a double flip, double lutz, and a variety of crisp, fast spins. Robin's choreography was very interesting and intricate, and part of his music was taken from the soundtrack of "Murder on the Orient Express". Watching this program, I thought, "Robin deserved to win, and he's been a wonderful Olympic champion - but if he was competing today, he'd be a junior-level skater." And the same can be said for the rest of the men.

So if Denise entered the men's competition, she would probably have outskated them? :rofl:

bronxgirl

Medalist
What was the name of the piece of music that Denise Biellman skated to in her LP? Little bits of it stick in my head, but I don't know it's name

A.H.Black

Final Flight
I have some tape from Exhibitions that I still watch periodically. No competition thought. The Russians doing fours is still interesting. I don't for the life of me remember who they were, but I remember that this was the first big year of very little girls with big male partners who could throw them around a lot. I remember Dick Button making lots of comments about it.

Do you have any info on who were the bronze medalists in pairs, or who the other Russian team was?

I have Fratianne's exhibition and it still looks like she didn't quite believe what had happened. It didn't look like she enjoyed the night.

The best program of the night was definitely Robin Cousins skating to Michael Jackson. It is still one of the best skating programs I have ever seen. His jumps were to the moon that night and the choreography was just perfect for the music. I still love it.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
A.H.Black said:
I have some tape from Exhibitions that I still watch periodically. No competition thought. The Russians doing fours is still interesting. I don't for the life of me remember who they were, but I remember that this was the first big year of very little girls with big male partners who could throw them around a lot. I remember Dick Button making lots of comments about it.

Do you have any info on who were the bronze medalists in pairs, or who the other Russian team was?

The East German pair of Manuela Mager and Uwe Bewersdorf won the bronze and the Soviet pair of Marina Pestova & Stanislav Leonovitch (who later coached Gordeeva & Grinkov) were 4th. Pestova & Leonovitch's Olympic long program in Lake Placid included many of the same elements performed by G&G in their career, such as the step-through overhead lift, one-handed star left, side-by-side single axel-loop-half loop-double salchow jump sequence and the throw double axel preceded by a swing around entrance. Not surprising, because P&L (and G&G) were coached by Stanislav Zhuk in the Red Army Sports Club (CSKA).

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Robin was so much of a showman.... I love his pro routine to "Satan Takes A Holiday"

Scott mentioned in his book that Randy had taken some sort of pain medication injection and couldn't feel his leg(s) afterwards... dad said that it was one of the most painful things to watch on television... he's always been a big fan of Tai and Randy (had a major crush on her once upon a time, but don't tell him I told you ;) :laugh: )

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Actually, it has been asserted by some skating writers/historians that Biellmann was actually no worse at figures than some of the other top ladies of the time, but was held down in them for a few years until "her turn" came (once Poetzch, Fratianne, Lurz, et al were gone); this was a common practice back in those days.

The 1980 Olympics were the 3rd competition I had ever watched (after the 79 Worlds and the 80 Nats). Aside from watching Denise perform the Biellmann in the SP (which caused both my mother's and mine's jaw to drop) and Tai & Randy withdrawing, most of the rest is fuzzy, details-wise; this is something I wouldn't mind revisiting on videotape now that my skating knowledge is so much more extensive. Tho I do remember Dagmar Lurz as rather being a "telegraphing queen"; my mother (who was about in her 3rd year of skating lessons at the time) kept saying "Good God! Just do the jump already!". (Even to this day, I refer to programs with excessive telegraphing as "Choreography by Dagmar Lurz" :biggrin: ).

S

SkateFan4Life

A.H.Black said:
I have Fratianne's exhibition and it still looks like she didn't quite believe what had happened. It didn't look like she enjoyed the night.

The best program of the night was definitely Robin Cousins skating to Michael Jackson. It is still one of the best skating programs I have ever seen. His jumps were to the moon that night and the choreography was just perfect for the music. I still love it.

I agree with your comments on the exhibition. Linda Fratianne looked as though she was in shock and/or simply could not believe that she had won the silver medal, not the gold medal. The US media had pretty much crowned her Olympic champion before the Games had even begun. Yes, she was the reigning World champion, but that was a title she had shared with Annet Poetszch since 1977, so she wasn't an overwhelming favorite. I remember reading an article on the Lake Placid media (to paraphrase) - "A hoarde of reporters chased after Fratianne as she was walking to practice and screamed, "It's Linda!!"

I remember watching the opening ceremony on live television. It was a frigid day in Lake Placid, and although everyone was bundled up, many looked as though they were freezing. Scott Hamilton carried the US flag in to lead the American team. Jim McKay, commentating, pointed out a number of members of the US Olympic team, among whom was Tai and Randy and Linda. Linda had an "almost-frightened" look, according to McKay. I think she was just freezing! It wasn't exactly a southern California afternoon.

I remember that Dorothy Hamill skated a piece in the exhibition. She looked gorgeous and skated beautifully.

OwenEvans

Rinkside
Pestova & Leonovitch's Olympic long program in Lake Placid included many of the same elements performed by G&G in their career, such as the step-through overhead lift, one-handed star left, side-by-side single axel-loop-half loop-double salchow jump sequence and the throw double axel preceded by a swing around entrance. Not surprising, because P&L (and G&G) were coached by Stanislav Zhuk in the Red Army Sports Club (CSKA).

I thought that program looked familiar!

I had a look at my tape last night. The pairs comp was quite interesting; all of the top pairs (excluding R&Z) had at least three throw jumps in their program with C&S doing 4!!! R&Z's program looked quite "old fashioned" IMO although, as always, they skated with total attack. Did R&Z ever do throws? One thing I noticed was the quality of the death spirals - all the ladies held really lovely positions, very low to the ice, beautiful arch and with acute edges, a la the Protopopovs. Overall, and even tho they made mistakes, I really liked Underhill & Martini (very nice 3twist) and the Curruthers best.

IMO, the most interesting program for the men was Brian Pockar. What a talent and so musical! He did the most beautiful spreadeagle right into 3S at one point - just to die for! However, the judges lashed him for whatever reason (haterz!) and the look on his face as both sets of marks came up is just heartbreaking. I also really liked Fumio Ishagiri (sp?) - lots of extended balletic positions that would have been even more impressive if his line was a little better (read: a slight "flare" to his trousers not helping already short'ish and thick legs). Still, his finish of spreadeagle straight into Ina (both great) straight into a finishing pose of full splits on the ice (!) was amazing. I like Robin Cousins and he absolutely deserved the OGM, but, as always, his "jiggly" hands when stroking distracted me.

"Le sigh" for Denise B; how could her freeskating be so good and her figures so bad??? She double-footed her 3Lz, but still, that was the only glitch during a really entertaining program and she was light-years ahead of everyone else technically, rather similar to Midori's FS @ Calgary vs. everyone else. Also, being a sucker for a good Ina, I just loved Lisa-Marie Allen's beautiful Ina right into high and perfect 2A. Overall, Fratianne was so robbed and her face while on the podium says it all. :(

I loved Lin & Karp's OD and she was gorgeous!

End of rambling....

:)

S

SkateFan4Life

OwenEvans said:
, I just loved Lisa-Marie Allen's beautiful Ina right into high and perfect 2A

Yes, Lisa-Marie Allen was gorgeous - blond, leggy, and graceful. She skated an absolutely lovely double axel, a number of other strong jumps - and she did that wonderfully extended Ina Bauer. 👍

Judy Blumberg and Michael Seibert of the US finished a respectable 7th in the ice dance competition. Their long program was innovative, well-skated, and showed a great deal of promise.

Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean finished fifth at Lake Placid. They skated very well, and the crowd gave them a noisy ovation. They were still young challengers at that point - she was 22, he was 21 - and, of course, they began their four-year reign as World champions the next season.

Elaine Zayak had just missed making the US Olympic team, as she had finished fourth at Nationals. She was in the audience and saw the ladies competition.

Brian Orser had also just missed making the Canadian Olympic team and attended the games as a spectator.

floskate

On the Ice
Lisa Marie Allen skated a great SP but I don't remember her LP being that good. Maybe she doubled her triple jump? Her best performance was at Worlds 78 without a doubt.

I always preferred Pestova and Leonovich to Cherkasova/ Shakhrai. She imparticular had so much more grace and personality. When you see them do 4's in the exhibition, the almost exactness of their technique is a little unnerving. It's as though the Soviets had a blue print for pair skating which didn't really come to fruition till G&G.

Irina Rodnina never did throw moves apparently because of the fear of injury. I guess if you already have say 7 World titles and steamrolling to your 8th, there's no point sabotaging it all for a move that the judges didn't care whether they had or not! But they had extraordinary speed, attack, and phenominally secure lifts!! Plus sbs 2x and a great triple twist. It's not as though their programs were devoid of technical content.

While those were great games and I count myself lucky to have so much of the skating on tape, I do think the 80 Worlds were better. The skaters seemed much more at ease and skated with a freedom that was missing in Lake Placid. Emi Watanabe skated the LP of her career, as did, arguably, Robin Cousins. Even the telegrapher herself, Dagmar Lurz rose to her home crowd and skated with a bit of personality. It was ironically Denise Biellmann who imploded. Finishing miraculously higher in figures than she ever had ;) , she had a shot at a medal and blew it - falling badly on the lutz, then popping or doubling everything else.

S

SkateFan4Life

floskate said:
While those were great games and I count myself lucky to have so much of the skating on tape, I do think the 80 Worlds were better. The skaters seemed much more at ease and skated with a freedom that was missing in Lake Placid. Emi Watanabe skated the LP of her career, as did, arguably, Robin Cousins. Even the telegrapher herself, Dagmar Lurz rose to her home crowd and skated with a bit of personality. It was ironically Denise Biellmann who imploded. Finishing miraculously higher in figures than she ever had ;) , she had a shot at a medal and blew it - falling badly on the lutz, then popping or doubling everything else.

I remember the 1980 Worlds, too. Jan Hoffman won the World title, and Robin Cousins had to settle for second place. As great as Robin Cousins was, he never won the World title - just silver and bronze.

Linda Fratianne, apparently, suffered a major letdown after the silver-medal finish at Lake Placid and skated so-so programs at Dortmund. She finished third, which for her, was a lowly place. Annet Poetszch regained the World title she had lost to Fratianne in 1979. And Dagmur Lurz skated one of the best programs of her life and won the World silver medal. She was ecstatic.

Emi Watanabe of Japan, who had won the World bronze medal in 1979 and who had not skated her best at Lake Placid, skated a beautiful long program at the 1980 Worlds. Dick Button said, "If she had skated this program at Lake Placid, she would have had one of the medals there."

The 1980 Worlds were the World debut of Katarina Witt, who was then a 14-year-old youngster from East Germany. She finished far out of the medals but showed great potential. And she was a budding beauty.

Rodnina and Zaitsev did not compete at the 1980 Worlds, so Marina Cherkasova and Sergei Shakhrai won the gold medal. An East German pair, Sabine Baess and Tassilo Thierbach, won the silver medal with a very strong program, IMHO. I thought they skated with a lot of joy, and they clearly had a blast out there.

Hungarian ice dances Kristina Regoeczy and Andras Sallay, the Lake Placid silver medalists, won the World title that year. They defeated the Olympic champions, Soviet dancers Natalia Linichuk and Gennadi Karponosov. The Olympic ice dance judging had caused some controversy - nothing on the level of the Salt Lake City pairs scandal - but many of the fans believed that the Hungarians should have won the gold medal. When the medals were awarded to L & K, the crowd delivered polite, tepid applause, while R & S received loud acclaim.

Eeyora

Final Flight
The 1980 Olympics were before my time but I have always gotten the impression they were perhaps one of the darkest for American Skating with the Fratianne scandal and Tai and Randy's heartache.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I remember the 1980 Olympics, but not nearly as well as all of you do.

We lived in VT then, and debated whether to get tickets, but the logistics of getting to the site appeared too daunting. Also, you had to buy tickets to events you didn't want to attend, like pentathalon, to get skating tickets. ANd there weren't that many skating tickets to begin with because the Lake Placid rink is quite small. We decided to watch it on our very inadequate television.

Scott Hamilton gave the kids in Stowe skating pointers and got a nice article in the Burlington free press.

I seem to recall that at another event, a commentator said that Linda Fratianne had strong jumps but pointed her heels instead of her toes. I was watching for this phenomenon, and I thought she did.

Denise Biellman was amazing, and I thought she looked like a little Christmas ornament doing her famous spin.

I also was not impressed with Dagmar Lurz.

My biggest memories from that Olympics would be from the US hockey team's gold medal.

I accepted the judging very uncritically back then.

ChiSk8Fan

On the Ice
1980 Olympics

I remember watching these Olympics on ABC's Wide World of Sports as a teenager. I have recollections of chunks of the skating, and impressions. I didn't have VCR capabilities until the 1990's, or cable either, until the later 1990's. I would love to acquire video or dvd of these games!

In the Ladies, I remember Biellman being the best free skater and Fratiane seeming cautious, but very good. Poetsch was my sandwich break skater, and was very dull. I remember Dagmar Lurz as the girl who broke her pelvis in an auto accident years before, to return to skating. Her jumps had no speed, no height and no distance. I remember her landing a triple salcow and just marveling that she made it. I thought the results were a rip off for the good free skaters.

In the Men's event, I remember Robin Cousins fell in the SP on his straight line step. I recall his speed and line and his being a big, grand skater. I remember hoping Charlie Tickner wouldn't have a melt down and was happy he got the bronze medal. Jan Hoffman was not an appealing free skater. Santee was very good and a surprising 4th. I remember Scott as little and fast.

In Pairs, I recall a lot of the Tai and Randy warm-up and withdrawl. Rodnina and Zaitsev were strong and fast and solid. I recall the East Germans as kind of bland, and I recall the mis-matched "one-and-a-half" team and her twist lift. She did resemble a girl skating with her father who threw her around like a doll. I don't recall the US Pairs very much.

In Dance, nothing really impressed me, so I'd love to see it again.

S

SkateFan4Life

A group of us attended a Sunday afternoon performance of Ice Capades, the day after Linda Fratianne finished second in women's figure skating. Several in the group lamented that she was robbed of the gold medal, that the judges were all pro-Soviet bloc, etc.. As we entered the arena, a huge overhead television screen showed the live coverage from Lake Placid of the US hockey team celebrating its gold medal victory. Everyone in the arena rose to their feet, cheering and applauding, and quite a few broke out into an impromptu rendition of the National Anthem.

But returning to the Olympic figure skating competition, there were some wonderful moments (Robin Cousins' victory) and some heartbreak moments (Tai and Randy's withdrawal) and many moments in between. I guess that's what the Olympics - and life - is all about.

S

SkateFan4Life

ChiSk8Fan said:
I remember Dagmar Lurz as the girl who broke her pelvis in an auto accident years before, to return to skating. Her jumps had no speed, no height and no distance. I remember her landing a triple salcow and just marveling that she made it. I thought the results were a rip off for the good free skaters./QUOTE]

I agree with you. Watching Dagmar Lurz skate was not exactly an exciting thing to do. Indeed, she telegraphed her jumps to the nnth degree, and her jumps had little speed, height, or distance. Perhaps it was the European judging bloc that gave her the Olympic bronze medal in 1980 and the World silver medal later that winter.

Whatever happened to Dagmar, anyway? Is she coaching and/or skating in Europe?