Regaining motivation after a setback | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Regaining motivation after a setback

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
Adult dance sometimes has very... subjective judging. There aren't very many adult dancers, so not every judge will have a lot of experience with the adult level and what to expect. They may hold you to a standard that's too high for adults, i.e. closer to standard track, while others set the bar low all depending on their personal experience. If they've, for example, only seen adult skaters in their 20s or 30s and then suddenly are testing an adult in their 40s or 50s, they might have set a higher passing standard for the younger adults and assumed (incorrectly) that the older skaters could reach this level. (Not saying this to be disparaging to older skaters at all, but instead saying this from personal experience / the experiences of skaters close to me, unfortunately.) If you had tested those dances in front of another judge, you might have passed with flying colors. Unfortunately it can be hard to predict.

Almost everyone feels this way the first time they get a retry, especially if you've been sailing through tests before - I definitely did. You can ask any elite skater or coach on tests they've had to retry, and get ready for some great stories about failing pre-preliminary moves, failing european waltz twice after having already passed senior moves... these types of stories are common! I also think that judges should have consistent standards, but often they enjoy giving retrys to people who look like they could easily pass but are a little sloppy. They don't appreciate 'good' skaters not skating up to their potential. A retry doesn't mean you're not a good skater. It only means you will be that much better when you do pass.

I found jf12's comment very interesting about judges failing you if they think you are actually much better and just were a bit sloppy that day. And yes, everyone will have to retry at some point - it can be devastating, but you will feel even more satisfaction when you finally pass!

Not sure if I'm helping here, but good luck! Ice Dance is a wonderful and, at times, frustrating, discipline and I know you won't regret sticking with it and trying again! Will be rooting for you :biggrin:

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
I found this statement a bit disturbing. How can you rework or fix your weakness if your coach was clueless to your test result. You need to sort it out with your coach first. You pay lots of money into your skating not to mention your time and efforts. It won't fair to yourself to not get support you deserved. Skating might be your happiness in life. I don't want you to quit without good guidances.

As someone who has been through many test days as a skater and someone who has sat with judges and discussed their results at test days, I can say that at the test level, the judging is way more subjective than anyone would like to think. Some judges have weird quirks that aren't exactly to standard. I know one judge who ignores technique as long as the presentation is good. I know another one who literally hasn't failed a test in a decade. I know another one who fails any girl who's hair isn't in a bun. And then there is a lovely judge who writes all her comments before she even sees the tests. There are also some judges who also have higher standards than official standards.

Most judges are good or at least do their best, but I know in Canada, and I assume elsewhere as well, judges aren't paid, so it's hard to find people to do the job, especially at the lower levels where there is a lot less cashe. Since judges are hard to come by, there is less oversight than there should be because they need bodies. Coaches now test their own skaters until they reach the intermediate level because they're running out of judges. I also know that many judges at lower levels also have full time jobs and may not be able to keep up with standards like they should.

All this is to say, it's not uncommon for a coach to be surprised that their skater fails a test. This usually has nothing to do with the competence of the coach and everything to do with the subjectivity of the sport.

Dancesonice

Spectator
Thanks, everyone!! I decided to just try cha cha next time, which typically doesn’t cause me issues. It’ll be less stressful. I’ll test at the same place just to see if I can do it as it will most likely be the same judge. If all seems weird again, I’ll go to another club. But for now I’ll give it another shot and a benefit of doubt.

Dancesonice

Spectator
A great update for everyone here who offered their support and advice! I got back into the swing of things, not too intensely, just keeping my sanity. A couple of weeks ago, I tested cha cha - same place and same judge. Added little pizzazz, got my steps smoother, edges edgier... She loved my dance, esp expression and flow! Gave me +4 (honors)! Very motivated and excited to continue - testing fiesta next (almost there!), then swing (that one still needs a lot more edging).

jf12

Final Flight
A great update for everyone here who offered their support and advice! I got back into the swing of things, not too intensely, just keeping my sanity. A couple of weeks ago, I tested cha cha - same place and same judge. Added little pizzazz, got my steps smoother, edges edgier... She loved my dance, esp expression and flow! Gave me +4 (honors)! Very motivated and excited to continue - testing fiesta next (almost there!), then swing (that one still needs a lot more edging).

I'm so glad for you! You've proven that getting a retry at first results in a much stronger test at the end! Hope it keeps everyone else who is discouraged at a retry to keep going.

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice

Congratulations, that is wonderful!! I agree with sandraskates - how awesome that you got honors from that same judge! :clap: