17 y/o girl, new figure skates, advice?! | Golden Skate

17 y/o girl, new figure skates, advice?!

Monthen

Spectator
New figure skates, help/advice?!

Hi everyone,

I hope you guys can give me some advice / tips etc.
I’m a 17 years old girl from the Netherlands and I am a recreational ice skater, never had any classes (because I live in a city that doesn’t even have a rink the whole year).
But I love ice skating! At the moment I’m working on my one-foot spin and camel spin. I can do the waltz jump and hopefully I can accomplish more jumps in the future.

Right now I’m skating in basic ice skates from a local shop, nothing fancy. But I have been talking to a man that does ice dancing and he adviced me to invest in good boots/blades. Especially because I can’t skate all year he told me I would be able to use them for a long period of time.

This afternoon I’m going to a skate shop in The Hague and hopefully I’ll find skates or boots+blades that fit my purposes and obviously feet.

But I was wondering if you guys have any tips for me? Do you have certain blades / boots / complete skates that you’d want to avoid? Or do you know certain models/types that you’d think fit me?
I’d love to hear from you!

Greetings!

ayame

Rinkside
Welcome!
As a fellow Dutch skater I know the store you're referring to; the guy who usually does the fittings there is very helpful and knowledgeable and is able to give better advice than us strangers on the internet. I only get my skates sharpened by him as well, it's a 2,5 hr trip for me but worth it. Since it's nearly evening already I'm guessing you already went - did you find skates that work for you?

Last edited:

Monthen

Spectator
Hi Ayame!

A girl helped me in the store, she knew a lot and explained a lot to me!
After describing what I’m able to do on slates now we decided that the Edea Chorus with the Wilson Coronation Ace blades would work the best for me. They will be ready on monday so she sends them to me.
I’m very excited to try them out!

ayame

Rinkside
Congrats! I don't have any experience with Edea but Coronation Aces are really great blades. They'll probably feel very different from the skates you've used until now and it may take a few hours to get used to them, but I'm sure they explained that at the store. Out of curiosity, which rink do you skate at? Only if you're comfortable sharing, of course :)

Monthen

Spectator
Yes I’m sure about that hahah. I have the most basic skates right now so I’m also scared to start on the new ones (hopefully I get used to them quickly and still able to do most of the tricks that I can do now).
Well I skate in Middelburg on the local rink (which is only here for 2 months) and sometimes I go to Breda but this is an hour away and with school it takes up to much time. Maybe when I go to university in a bigger city I can take classes and all. For now I’ll just stay here practicing, and with the frequency of skating I think I’m able to use the new pair for a long time!
(Een iets te uit de hand gelopen hobby haha). Groetjes!!

ayame

Rinkside
I didn't know they had a rink there! Sucks it's only there for such a short time, but unfortunately skating isn't popular enough here to keep rinks open all year; even my home rink in Amsterdam only opens in autumn/winter. The only one I know of that has public sessions year round is the one in The Hague, but it takes a while to get there for both of us haha. On the plus side skates last a long time as you say :) Succes met je nieuwe paar iig!

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Got to the skate shop and talk to the staff there. Let them know what you're working on and they'll look at your feet and recommend what skates will work for you. Don't be afraid to try on different brands. What works for one person won't work for another, so find what works for your foot.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I am a recreational ice skater, never had any classes (because I live in a city that doesn’t even have a rink the whole year).
But I love ice skating! At the moment I’m working on my one-foot spin and camel spin. I can do the waltz jump and hopefully I can accomplish more jumps in the future.
!

Get the recommendation of the fitter, they will be able to help.

And then get some lessons. Self-teaching is inherently dangerous and you should not do it. Especially not jumps.

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
Classic blade for most levels.. Wilson, Coronation ace. In my opinion risport boots are the best! But everyone's foot is different.