Help With Popping Axel!! | Golden Skate

Help With Popping Axel!!

carolm65

Spectator
Help With Popping Axel

I’ve had my 1axel for a couple of years, but have had some trouble with it recently. I’m terrified of jumping into it, as the foward takeoff has never felt comfortable. When I do eventually rotate, the jump is fine, but the constant popping and fear makes me avoid the jump altogether, which is an issue because axels are such an important part of doubles. I have no idea why I’m so afraid of the jump, does anyone have any tips to stop the popping and get over this mental block?

jf12

Final Flight
The forward outside edge is actually hard to get right. Assuming you jump clockwise, instead of going right back outside edge to left forward outside edge, try some with right forward outside edge, step to left forward outside edge - less moving parts to get to the left outside edge.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Go back to axel drills. Waltz jump back spin, waltz-loop. Even just big waltz jumps to help you get more comfortable with the forward outside edge. Try just sitting on the forward edge in your take off position. When you're comfortable there, start walking trough, rolling off the toe pick. Then progress to the waltz jump followed by the axel.

Also, maybe give the axel a bit of a break and move on to doubles. It's not uncommon to land double before the axel as the axel is a unique takeoff. I had my double salchow almost a year before I got my axel and I was rotating a 2F before I rotated my axel. Sometimes a break can help unlearn the popping muscle memory.

It also might be worth talking to your coach to see if they think a harness would help. It can sometimes get the jump back in your body without the fear of falling. Your coach can let you know if this is a good idea. It's not for everyone.