Worlds Predictions | Golden Skate

Worlds Predictions

3ggi3

Rinkside
I don't have predictions, but I'll just list my favourite skater(s) in each discipline:

Pairs:

Xue Shen and Hongbo Zhao CHN

Dance:

Tanith Belbin and Benjamin Agosto USA

Men:

Johnny Weir USA
Emanuel Sandhu CAN

Ladies:

Michelle Kwan USA
Fumie Suguri JPN

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Predictions

I predict the following:

1. Since Peggy already predicted that this year, Shizuka "is the one to beat", Shizuka will lose.

2. There will be a scoring controversy; and

3. Kwan's skate will shock everyone.

doubleaxelcm

On the Ice
attyfan said:
I predict the following:

1. Since Peggy already predicted that this year, Shizuka "is the one to beat", Shizuka will lose.

2. There will be a scoring controversy; and

3. Kwan's skate will shock everyone.

I agree that Shisuka will not win. She does not seem like the type of skater with the staying power and consistency like Michelle Kwan and others.

I think the scoring controversy might not necessarily be criticism of the fairness of the new system, it will probably be because we are not familiar with it and things can happen between short and free programs that couldn't happen with the old system. We have seen at Grand Prix competitions that skaters can jump many places between short and long and there can be quite a difference between presentation and technical marks.

I think if Michelle can prove that skipping the Grand Prix was a good idea and come out with something that nobody is expecting she will indeed SHOCK us.

Last edited:
I think much too early for this

I think there will be a section for Worlds Predictions later.

Personally, I think posters are waiting to see the respective Nationals and read of the results. There is also Euros and 4Continents. These are important to consider the predictions of Worlds.

What you will get from this thread are posters's favorite skaters, and something based on the GPs (not everyone skated in them as you know), and past performances,

Joe

doubleaxelcm

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I think there will be a section for Worlds Predictions later.

Personally, I think posters are waiting to see the respective Nationals and read of the results. There is also Euros and 4Continents. These are important to consider the predictions of Worlds.

What you will get from this thread are posters's favorite skaters, and something based on the GPs (not everyone skated in them as you know), and past performances,

Joe

Yes I guess this is true. Canadian/American nationals predictions anyone?

Doubleaxelcm, I agree that in the ladies Shizuka still has the most to prove. Last year she won only one competition. She finished third in both the GP finals and Japanese Nationals, and second in her GP events and some cheesefests.

Of course, if you can only win one event, it might as well be the World Championship, LOL.

Mathman

Last edited:
TOP FAVORITES FOR WORLDS:

Mens: Plushenko
Ladies: Slutskaya
Pairs: Shen & Zhao
Dance: Navka and Kostamarov

The above seem obvious, if you agree who is/are the strongest SPOILERS

Joe

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Doubleaxelcm, I agree that in the ladies Shizuka still has the most to prove. Last year she won only one competition. She finished third in both the GP finals and Japanese Nationals, and second in her GP events and some cheesefests.

Of course, if you can only win one event, it might as well be the World Championship, LOL.

Mathman
I read a post on FSU by MINAM who heard the post-GPF interviews with the Japanese Ladies, and reported what Arakawa said about her training for this season, which could impact her standings at Worlds this year.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19846
10th post down. POTENTIAL SPOILER for GPF if you read into it or other posts on the thread.

Thanks for the link, Hockeyfan. There seems to be a general lack of enthusiasm on the part of many top skaters this year. For example, in an article in yesterdays newspaper Plushenko said that he didn't really regard the Grand Prix final as a major competition this year and didn't much care about whether he went to Beijing or not. This was in contrast to previous years where he approached it as a mini-worlds.

Mathman

R.D.

Record Breaker
I agree with those who say it's too early to predict now. However, I will state my opinion based on who I think has it going for them:

Irina does not have a better chance at a 2nd world championship than now. She's on a roll, she has the competition in her home country, and I think she's the best in a depleted field this season. All of last year's ladies contenders seem to be either having problems or off their game so far this season. Arakawa, don't really know about her. Looks like she's still up for a podium spot, although I have trouble seeing her defending her title. But then, who would've though she'd win in the first place?

As for the American skaters, I think Kwan is the only contender this year for a world podium spot, even without "stepping it up". Everyone else, zzzzzz. Cohen maybe 4th or 5th. The third place finisher, maybe 10th? 15th?

R.D.

Record Breaker
SailorGalaxia518 said:
The spoiler in the Ladies competition will be Irina Slutskaya. She could walk away with this title.

Hm...looking more and more like she could run away with the title this year.

Kuchana

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
Hm...looking more and more like she could run away with the title this year.

Let's not be too hasty here. True, Irina seems to have the advantage this early on but I think it'll be a close decision. I'm reminded of 2001 Worlds:)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Kuchana said:
Let's not be too hasty here. True, Irina seems to have the advantage this early on but I think it'll be a close decision. I'm reminded of 2001 Worlds:)

We may very well open up this thread in five months and laugh at all the posts. But for now, I'm settled on IS. :agree:

doubleaxelcm

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
We may very well open up this thread in five months and laugh at all the posts. But for now, I'm settled on IS. :agree:

At this point I think we HAVE made so much hype for Irina and nobody else that I'm not sure she's going to win it anymore.

doubleaxelcm said:
At this point I think we HAVE made so much hype for Irina and nobody else that I'm not sure she's going to win it anymore.

If Irina doesn't win, we have all lost our credability in predicting skating champions. :p

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
If Irina doesn't win, we have all lost our credability in predicting skating champions. :p

Joe

That is, if we haven't already. ;) I'll never forget two years ago, when I was new to this forum, our predictions for the 2002-2003 season, and how off we were. :laugh: I think Yoshie Onda was the predicted world champ. :laugh: but, hey, as another poster said, predictions can be fun :laugh: