Worlds Predictions | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Worlds Predictions

Ximena

Final Flight
Mathman said:
Plushenko said that he didn't really regard the Grand Prix final as a major competition this year and didn't much care about whether he went to Beijing or not. This was in contrast to previous years where he approached it as a mini-worlds.
Mathman
(will mention GPF but no spoilers)
I found that odd (I read that article too and it was quoted and all so I'm sure he said), but I found it odd because just a couple of days prior GPF he said that he take every competition seriously because everyone expect of him to show his best level at every single competition. During the GPF he said that this was more personal because Joubert and Sandhu were here (because both of them defeated last season). When that quote was posted at FSU, some people took it as it was Plush's response to Pissiev for the AOI problem, I don't know.

The other day, I think during CoR, the commentator mentioned that Shizuka might be starting to feel the pressure of being the World Champ, maybe that is the case, I don't think Shizuka expected to win Worlds considering she hardly made the team, so maybe she dind't know the expectation that were going to be ask for her part. That and her boot, training and illness problem might have affected her for her GP performances.

All and all, barring disaster I would say Plush and N&K are a lock of gold. Irina is a favorite for sure since she is the one who has shown consistency all year long and Worlds would be in Moscow, however her marks and Shizuka's one have not been that apart and Shizuka has not been clean yet, so who knows?

As for the pairs, don't know how the fact that Worlds would be in Russia would play for T&M against S&Z. Some skaters really skate their best when they are at home and CoP have really shown high marks when it comes to home skaters.

doubleaxelcm

On the Ice
Ximena said:
All and all, barring disaster I would say Plush and N&K are a lock of gold.

I do think that Plushenko is a lock for gold, but I definitely wouldn't say that Navka and Kostomarov are. I think Denkova and Staviyski have a good chance as well.

doubleaxelcm said:
I do think that Plushenko is a lock for gold, but I definitely wouldn't say that Navka and Kostomarov are. I think Denkova and Staviyski have a good chance as well.
And apparently Belbin and Agosto. I still prefer Delobel and Schoenfeld or whatever their names are. I like to watch the male partner LEAD the lady partner around the floor (ice). Yes, I'm old fashion. Keep your eyes on the Kerrs for what I mean. Otherwise I am looking forward to the Italians and that Disco Dance. :cool: :rock: đź‘Ť

Joe

Bruin714

On the Ice
Predictions

For the Ladies...

Irina -- She has a lot of momentum now and she has home ice advantatge. However, in the past she has been great in the early season and for some reason, her performance at Worlds is never her best performance of the year, which is why she has come in 2nd so many times to Kwan.

Shuzuka -- Last year, she didn't do too well her first few competitions, but steadily improved. By March, she was in fabulous condition. Maybe it'll happen that way again.

Sasha -- Injuries and mind problems aside, COP favors her the most and she has scored the highest in this new system.

Michelle -- No comment.

In other words, I have no predictions yet. :yes:

doubleaxelcm

On the Ice
Bruin714 said:
For the Ladies...

Sasha -- Injuries and mind problems aside, COP favors her the most and she has scored the highest in this new system.

:yes:

Does it favor her on both sides or just on the Program Componest Score?

Bruin714

On the Ice
doubleaxelcm said:
Does it favor her on both sides or just on the Program Componest Score?

Her lack of triple-triple might pull her down, but her spins, footwork, and spiral sequence are all big pluses. She can fall and be near the top.

Maybe someone can give a breakdown of her actually scores to back me up. :agree: Hehehe.

Bruin714 said:
Maybe someone can give a breakdown of her actual scores to back me up. :agree: Hehehe.
The only time Sasha has skated under CoP scoring was last year in the Grand Prix events. She tore the roof off the CoP, getting three straight overall scores of 197 points, which is still the ISU record. However, her three skates were not of equal quality, despite the identicale scores. :sheesh: Plus, she dropped off a little in the GP final and finished second to Fumie. IIRC she got super marks in the component scores and also very strong tech scores.

This year, though, they reworked the system and seem determined not to give out uniformly high marks just because they feel like it.

Mathman:)

Laura_B

Rinkside
My tentative early predictions:

Womens:
Irina
Michelle
Shizuka

Mens:
Zhenya
Weir
Buttle

Pairs:
Shen/Zhao
?
?

Dance:
Navka/Kastomarov
Denkova/Staviski
Belbin/Agosto (even though I'd like to see them place 2nd, or win!)

Some of this might change after Nats and Euros though!!

Laura

I am not writing off Fumie Suguri. Last year she beat Sasha to win the Grand Prix Final, and she finished ahead of Shizuka at Japanese Nationals. Only a bad qualifying round kept her from contending for the podium at Dortmund.

MM

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
I am not writing off Fumie Suguri. Last year she beat Sasha to win the Grand Prix Final, and she finished ahead of Shizuka at Japanese Nationals. Only a bad qualifying round kept her from contending for the podium at Dortmund.

MM

I dunno, Suguri's been kinda out there these past few months. Other than participance in a couple GP events, she hasn't been doing much...I won't count her out but I won't expect a whole lot out of her either. She seems to have kind of fizzled right now.

In fact, the only person I'm openly writing off this year is Cohen.

mpal2

Final Flight
Fumie is going to have to do really well at Four Continents to make the World team. She came in 3rd (oops, 2nd in the SP) to Miki Ando at her Nationals after Shizuka withdrew due to injury. Shizuka and Ando have been assigned to the World team. Fumie, Yoshie and Yukina will fight it out again for the 3rd spot.

Last edited:
Mathman said:
I am not writing off Fumie Suguri. Last year she beat Sasha to win the Grand Prix Final, and she finished ahead of Shizuka at Japanese Nationals. Only a bad qualifying round kept her from contending for the podium at Dortmund.MM

Mathman, Red Dog - Check out Results of Japanese Nats under 2004/05 Events. Fumie placed third but the Federation has not decided on who will be the third at Worlds. I think the 4 Cs will be important. BTW, Arakawa and Ota did not skate Nats!!!

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Mathman, Red Dog - Check out Results of Japanese Nats under 2004/05 Events. Fumie placed third but the Federation has not decided on who will be the third at Worlds. I think the 4 Cs will be important. BTW, Arakawa and Ota did not skate Nats!!!

Joe

Yes, looks like the federation will use Four Continents to decide who's going to Worlds! I wonder if they'll send Arakawa to worlds despite only skating the SP.

ceg15

On the Ice
Womens: 1) I'm definitely thinking Irina...she has it this year and I think she deserves it.

2) Michelle...she has been around for so long it's about time she won it...but I don't know if this will be her year or not..It'll be between her and Irina definitly.

Shizuka and Cohen--I'm thinking 3rd, 4th or 5th

Mens: 1) Evgeni(a given)
2) no idea(maybe emanuel? if he pulls it together...)
3) Jeff!

ceg15 said:
Womens: 2) Michelle...she has been around for so long it's about time she won it...but I don't know if this will be her year or not..It'll be between her and Irina definitly.

She's been around so long and during that long period has won 5 World Championships. She's been there, done that. And Irina already has 1 Worlds.

Joe

ceg15

On the Ice
Sorry, I was thinking about the Olympics. I'm hoping she'll win the Olympics in 2006 and be happy with that. When did she first come onto the scene? Didn't she go to worlds when she was 14? And how old is she now?