JGPF: Men's SP - Thoughts and Highlights | Golden Skate

JGPF: Men's SP - Thoughts and Highlights

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Camdenf.jpg
USA's Camden Pulkinen currently sits in first place after the Junior Men's Short Program at the 218-19 Junior Grand Prix Final. Stephen Gogolev of Canada, who is coming into the event as an alternate, is in second followed by Russia's Petr Gumennik.

More...

Share your thoughts on the Junior Men's SP at the 2018-19 Junior Grand Prix Final!

Last edited:

lzxnl

Final Flight
Stephen almost didn't qualify. You wouldn't have thought from his performance.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why I :luv17: the junior men: nothing set in stone and never, ever predictable:cool:

If you had told me in August 2017 that Camden Pulkinen would be this smooth as silk skater so committed to the performance, I would not have believed you. I love seeing skaters grow like that.

And so :sad21: for Tomoki, of the beautiful spins and splits, but that pop:(

And of course missing my Andrew T. :sad4: But the ice giveth and the ice taketh away.

Looking forward to the FS:yay:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
After Gummenik and Gogolev's one-two punch to open, it was a bit erratic afterward, and ended with Hiwatashi's heartbreaker of a performance.

Delighted for Stephen to get to go back to Vancouver and get it right this time.

Tomoki has probably the best skating/performance skills of anybody there, so it was pretty depressing to see all the technical mishaps. You could tell the opening jump wasn't going to go well from how slow his entry into it was.

Camden wasn't quite perfect, but still very strong, and deservedly in the lead.

jillredhand

Record Breaker
1. Gummenick is so light and fluffy in his skating. I love it. Yes, it's juniorish, and he probably can't do that style as a senior. But he was just so fluffy. Adorable.

2. Gogolev is determined A F. Wants to redeem from Richmond disaster, and I think he can do it. Clean as a whistle and so impressive.

3. Camden so smooooth.

4. Shimada was nice. I'm running out of steam here, I'm tired and also drunk.

5. Tomoki ... I was so hyped at the start of his music, he seemed to be really about to make a statement with the drama. Maybe belongs in the Torgoshev school of too-dramatic music choices that intimidate the skater?

6. Siao Him Fa: I like this kid, but I almost forgot he skated there tonight. Needs to find a way to stand out, he doesn't have quite the PCS/lyricism to be notable in that way.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
A small and frivolous thought about Camden's costume - it looks as a cross between classic Patrick and equally classic Yuzu!!!! Anyone who can come up with that must be worth following :laugh:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

5. Tomoki ... I was so hyped at the start of his music, he seemed to be really about to make a statement with the drama. Maybe belongs in the Torgoshev school of too-dramatic music choices that intimidate the skater?

Sorry (well not really) to go OT, but I have seen Andrew T. skate live and I need to disagree with that characterization. His music does not intimidate him, and when he is on, he is one with the music and the audience is one with him. Unfortunately it doesn’t happen when his jumps aren’t there. And that (his jumps) happens too much:(

Tomoki is usually not sooooo off on his jumps, and he has a steely determination. If anything, I think Tomoki needs to feel more one with his music, although he’s made great strides in that department.

Obviously not last night;)

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
A great start to the competition with Gummenik and Gogolev doing good programs, but Pulkinen's maturity ruled the competition in the end (deservedly). Shimada did a good show, but I am begininng to seriously wonder whether Lambiel can train all round skaters if they are all somewhat lacking in the jumping department?

The French boy needs very serious finishing touches in everything he does, sloppy and plain ugly stuff. Hiwatashi executes the movement but there is really very little if nothing behind it all. He has some vey nifty explosive transitions etc. (a la Jason Brown), but that is the only thing that looks remotely interesting in his skating...

E