Frank FIRED TImmy!!! | Golden Skate

Frank FIRED TImmy!!!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
how vague... why won't they just come out and say why they aren't working together anymore.. a difference in training philosophies? What sort of crap/mumbo jumbo is that? :rofl:

oh well... I hope Tim comes back and kicks butt and wipes his win all in Frank's face, if in fact the guy just went and told him he was through... maybe this will light a fire in Tim that will take him all the way to Torino and beyond! :rock:

IDLERACER

Medalist
Well, this explains why I haven't been seeing him down at the rink recently. And it also partially explains why Sasha Cohen recently mentioned in her blog that she's looking forward to a visit from him in Connecticut.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
There was some speculation about this after last year's Nationals. I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.

It's not quite clear what provoked Carroll to drop Tim and at the same time suggest he go to Weisinger. He must have cared for Tim at some level to direct him to another coach. I think there was rumour about MK at one time that Carroll was aloof to her after Nagano which caused her to initiate the break.

Methinks Carroll runs deep and we will never really know what happens in his camp.

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I found it interesting that the article described Frank as a "technical coach", when a fluff that aired when Timmy went to Frank quoted Timmy as saying that he went to Frank because of what Frank had done for Michelle Kwan -- turning a little jumping bean into an artist.

lavender

Record Breaker
Wow, look at the pressure they put on people. These associations don't care what's going on with you. They just want you to skate. Look at what happens when you skate and not ready. Tim didn't even want to skate last season in that condition.

Frank..wow I don't know what to say about his decision.

mzheng

Record Breaker
He is old and he has too many elite skaters in his hand. More than he could properly handle all of them. He must let some go.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I agree Mzheng. I think Frank is probably very close to retirement and is starting to feel his limitations. Maybe Frank let Tim go because he really knew that he wasn't doing what was best for him.

dr.frog

On the Ice
mzheng said:
He is old and he has too many elite skaters in his hand. More than he could properly handle all of them. He must let some go.

So why would he choose to let go of his highest-profile student, the one who is the OOOOO medalist and probably nearing the end of his competitive career, instead of some lesser-known skater who will probably be around for several years yet? I can't really buy the theory that this all happened just because Frank wants to cut back and retire sooner instead of later. FWIW, I think the original announcement was probably closer to the truth..... for whatever reason, the Frank/Tim arrangement had become nonproductive.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Maybe because the comparative newbies (such as Jenny and Evan) are willing to work with Ken Congremi, whereas Tim might not have been. It sounds to me like Frank is "winding down" his career in an extremely responsible manner. He is training a successor (Ken) for many of his students, and directing those students who don't want to work with Ken to other suitable coaches.

mzheng

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
Maybe because the comparative newbies (such as Jenny and Evan) are willing to work with Ken Congremi, whereas Tim might not have been. It sounds to me like Frank is "winding down" his career in an extremely responsible manner. He is training a successor (Ken) for many of his students, and directing those students who don't want to work with Ken to other suitable coaches.

Yeah. I heard the 'rumor' these days, Frank delicated more and more his lessons (for not well known skaters) to Ken.

AFAIK Evan was original Ken's student so he might be OK with the arrangement. Jenny joined Frank after Ken/Evan, so she must understood the situation before hand and is OK with the arrangement. But Tim joined before Ken/Evan might not be OK with the new arrangement when he come back for full time trainning schedules. Besides Frank might be afraid of a MK Olympics syndrom from Tim (if you can't win first time, then 2nd time you are only going to down placement?). So he let him go instead of Evan? My speculation of course.

nicole_l

Final Flight
He is training a successor (Ken) for many of his students, and directing those students who don't want to work with Ken to other suitable coaches.

I got the opportunity to take lessons for a week from Ken a few years ago. He's a great guy and a great coach, and it would be awesome if he ended up being Frank's successor.

Lots and lots of guessing on this thread and specious conclusions. I reiterate my thoughts that the man runs deep and we don't really know any of his reasons for letting a skater go. (I think, and it is another guess, that it hurts him more than it hurts the skater.)

Joe

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I read in a thread over at FSU that Tim is the problem & has a habit of telling his coaches where to go. If that is true then I can well imagine Frank telling Tim to go elsewhere for coaching. I find it hard to believe that Tim would have the audacity to actually swear at Frank but I can believe that Tim thinks he knows more about skating than his elderly coach.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
The quote about different training philosophies came from Carroll:
Carroll said that they parted because they "disagreed about training philosophies."
That strikes me as a pointed way of saying that he didn't think Goebel worked hard enough, because what coach says, "My student is training too much."?

Vash01

Medalist
I don't think Carroll can fire Goebel. In the coach-student relationship in the USA, a coach is more like an employee. One could say that they parted or Carroll resigned (from the coaching position). Goebel could technically fire Carroll. .... or may be not all coach-student relationships are like that?

Vash01

Medalist
Tim had an injury didn't he? Who can blame him for not working too hard? If Frank is being insensitive to the injury, Goebel cannot have very good feelings about him either.

peachstatesk8er

On the Ice
Throught the grapevine I've heard people say Tim is rather egotistical and arrogant when it comes to his skating and coaching. *IF* that's true, I can see how Frank may have felt it was time for Tim to move on to someone else. Sometimes things just don't work out.