KSU's Incompetence | Golden Skate

KSU's Incompetence

s_parks

Record Breaker
https://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=sec&sid1=110&oid=023&aid=0003415269
Sorry if this belongs in the Korean skating news thread, but I wanted to draw atttention to this op-ed, essentially titled "Skating Union's Neglect- Korean figure [skating] where only the athlete works". (Someone who has a fuller vocabulary, please improve my translation, lol). The reporter describes his observations while covering the GPF in Vancouver. He talks about how Uno playing basketball with his trainer caught his eye, and a Japanese journalist explained how the federation provided a trainer to the competitions, who is responsible for a variety of things. He continued that all Junhwan and Yelim had were just one coach each, and only plane ticket and boarding paid for. They had injuries but just used ice packs and rested by themselves after practice.
The reporter continues to write that no one came to the competition/visited the venue from the KSU, nor had anyone at the team leader(?) meeting that was held before the start of the competition. He also mentions a sort of VIP lounge throughout the competition where officials from different federations, the ISU, sponsors, etc. interact, and quoted a Korean figure skating insider that "they(KSU) kicked away a good opportunity for 'sports diplomacy'".

Now I don't expect the KSU to be as on top of things nor have as many resources as major figure skating countries do to provide their athletes with- I know Korea really doesn't have a history in the sport and they're still new. But little to nothing has improved since Yuna Kim's competing days with the fed's management. They make the skaters compete in a domestic ranking competition separate from nationals to determine national team status and 4CC spots, regardless of whether they already have GP assignments or not. There's been judging scandals and generally poorly organized events domestically all the time. The numerous scandals even in short track, which Korea has a history of success with, is just more proof of their incompetence. (see: Viktor An case, the verbal/physical abuse from coaches to the athletes, and senior athletes towards their juniors)
It's a miracle that Korean skating came this far, and Yuna is just amazing for attracting the kids and sponsors to figure skating domestically. And of course, the young Korean skaters right now that are having success. No thanks to the federation.

nervosa

On the Ice
https://twitter.com/yuiS2pics/status/1072321004905488384

This twitter thread has another translation of the same article.

Of relevance is also the fact that Junhwan (and presumably others) has 4 domestic comps (ranking comp, nationals, winter athletic nat comp w/ qualifying round) this season, despite the fact that he's currently injured. (https://twitter.com/kimusing/status/1072349707064786944)

Also, apparently KSU hasn't written any kind of congratulations yet to Junhwan for his GPF bronze, or to Yelim...

This is just disappointing... :palmf:

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Korea has so many judges at competitions I’m surprised they didn’t send officials to support their skaters.

randomfan

Record Breaker
This is an issue that’s been concerning me (and evidently many others) for quite a while. I really hope that KSU somehow gets themselves together soon and support their skaters more.

Also, I feel that this comment from the Korean skaters thread would help us understand the endless problems in KSU... :(

Organization of the event was pretty bad. The last skater finished nearly midnight, which was a 4 hour delay from the original schedule. This is pretty bad even by the Korean standard.

No wonder Yunkyung withdrew. She has to be careful after an injury.

seabm7

Final Flight
^^

This problem has nothing to do with KSU.

The National Winter Competition is organized by the Korean Olympic Committee and falls under the jurisdiction of the regional sports councils. The incompetence of Gyeonggi Province Sports Council (which ran this particualr event) is another matter. For them, figure skating is just one of many sports disciplines they have to take care of, and encounter only once or twice per year.

Should have realised this during the victory ceremony at Skate Canada. Jun Hwan was the only medallist without a standard sized flag. I guess nobody at KSU expected a podium finish from him. I thought it was pretty obvious from ACI that he had a good chance at medalling though.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Well to be fair the same happened with Samerin and someone from the audience had to give him a Russian flag in Grenoble even though he was vying for a spot in the final.

randomfan

Record Breaker
^^

This problem has nothing to do with KSU.

The National Winter Competition is organized by the Korean Olympic Committee and falls under the jurisdiction of the regional sports councils. The incompetence of Gyeonggi Province Sports Council (which ran this particualr event) is another matter. For them, figure skating is just one of many sports disciplines they have to take care of, and encounter only once or twice per year.

I see. Thank you for the clarification.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
So what exactly did the KSU... or whoever... do? Not bring a basketball coach? This is a luxury not something that will derail the athletes' performance.

Casual

On the Ice
Shocking. I loved Junhwan and Yelim. I hope they get all the support they need.

But honestly, IMHO main support is money, and opportunity to train with the best coaches. Just give. them. money! Merit-based. So that the best can train with the best.

Flags, sports diplomacy, bureaucrats and the Feds getting involved in competitions can get detrimental rather than supportive to the sport.

nervosa

On the Ice
So what exactly did the KSU... or whoever... do? Not bring a basketball coach? This is a luxury not something that will derail the athletes' performance.

Maybe read this translation: https://twitter.com/yuiS2pics/status/1072321004905488384

The main things are:

1. Despite Junhwan and Yelim both being at GPF, no one at all from KSU (Korean Skating Union) was at the competition. The skaters were on their own.

2. Korea has an unnecessary number of domestic comps that even Junhwan can't get exemption from even though he's injured again.

Basically, KSU doesn't take care of their skaters. In the past Yuna was constantly injured and at least part of it was because she was forced to keep doing domestic comps. Junhwan's injured and has been for like over a year but will still do 4 domestic comps this season despite being undisputably Korea's only male skater with international podium potential.

Plumededragon

Medalist
I hope they’ll change those policies regarding domestic competitions. Heck, even FFSG, the other worst fed, don’t force their skaters to compete at the Masters’ (a mandatory competition for int’ competitions selections) if they’re injured or whatever. No wonder their skaters aren’t in good health. This is ridiculous.

seabm7

Final Flight
Junhwan's injured and has been for like over a year but will still do 4 domestic comps this season despite being undisputably Korea's only male skater with international podium potential.

Domestically, Junhwan does

* Ranking and National Championships for the 4CC ticket, the World ticket, and the national team memberships next year. These competitions are organized by KSU. The Korean National Championships does not have regional/sectional structure.

* My guess is he's doing regional and national Winter Game/Competition for the college entrance portfolio. These competitions are organized by Seoul City Sports Council and Korean Olympic Committee, respectively. This season is the last opportunity for him to add the credit to the portfolio.

Casual

On the Ice
Maybe read this translation: https://twitter.com/yuiS2pics/status/1072321004905488384

The main things are:

1. Despite Junhwan and Yelim both being at GPF, no one at all from KSU (Korean Skating Union) was at the competition. The skaters were on their own.

2. Korea has an unnecessary number of domestic comps that even Junhwan can't get exemption from even though he's injured again.

Basically, KSU doesn't take care of their skaters. In the past Yuna was constantly injured and at least part of it was because she was forced to keep doing domestic comps. Junhwan's injured and has been for like over a year but will still do 4 domestic comps this season despite being undisputably Korea's only male skater with international podium potential.

That's insane. He better change the countries then. Pick one that will allow him to train and compete at his own pace, injury free. The sport will win for it.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Nothing new. They do not take care of their skaters. They even forced Yuna to skate in Sochi although she was in so much pain and wanted to retire before the Olympics.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Well, I remember this guy - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_An

KSU did not want to help him with his knee injury despite him being 3-times Olympic champ and having many worlds medals. He is a skating short-track legend. And all what he just wanted was a knee surgery: "thank you very much for all the gold and fame, I love my Korea, but can a guy like me get his knee back, please". So he went to Russia and they healed him, to return the favor he won 3 gold medals in Sochi for them. No-brainer for Russia. Regular Korean folks should gladly consider those 3 gold medals as their own too, but also they should blame their KSU of not giving a chance to their national sport hero to do that under their native flag.

Speaking about globalized sport.. ;)

s_parks

Record Breaker
Well, I remember this guy - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_An

KSU did not want to pay to help him with his knee injury despite him being 3-times Olympic champ and having many worlds medals. He is a skating short-track legend. And all what he just wanted was a knee surgery: "thank you very much for all the gold and fame, I love my Korea, but can a guy like me get his knee back, please". So he went to Russia and they healed him, to return the favor he won 3 gold medals in Sochi for them. No-brainer for Russia. Regular Korean folks should gladly consider those 3 gold medals as their own too, but also they should blame their KSU of not giving a chance to their national sport hero to do that under their native flag.

Speaking about globalized sport.. ;)

I did mention him in my post. One of the major reasons Koreans have long been angry with the KSU.

RABID

Final Flight
I am only guessing here but I have always thought the main interest of the KSU was Speed Skating as South Korea is a preeminent power in that sport. And if you think politics is a thing in Figure Skating it is most definitely a thing in Speed Skating. Indeed, it is my suspicion that politics and the KSU's desire to protect the sport they most ardently represent is the reason for their deafening silence during the Sochi debacle; sort of let's keep our "black powder dry" for when we really need some explosives; ie future Speed Skating controversies.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Does Korea not have a system by which contenders are given a bye for competitions?