ESPN Dominant 20 for 2018. Ranked #11 - Yuzuru Hanyu | Page 3 | Golden Skate

ESPN Dominant 20 for 2018. Ranked #11 - Yuzuru Hanyu

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
What I find funny about the list is how there are multiple NFL, NBA players. If this is suppsed to be the most dominant ones, shouldn't it be just one athlete per sport? :laugh:

In their respective team sports these athletes are what a team builds around and the team wouldn't be nearly as good without them. You can see that with athletes like Lebron James, Luka Modric, Ksenia Stolbova :)biggrin:), etc.

lurkz2

On the Ice
Trusova came close at JGPF. However, it has to be noted that Biles has been this dominant for 4 seasons already. I'm not a huge fan of her style of gymnastics, but she's the definition of dominance, there's absolutely no denying.

Trusova doesn't come close even with her best season. At the 2018 gymnastics worlds, 2nd to 6th place was separated by 0.2 points. Simone, with 2 falls (each fall getting 1 point deduction), was ahead of 2nd place by over 1 point (57.491 to 55.798, she's the only gymnast to ever hit 60 points this season).

lesnar001

Record Breaker
LOL i like zagitova but, no.

I'm a HUGE Alina fan - but I can only fantasize that she will be as dominant in skating as Simone Biles is in gymnastics.

I think in the history of skating, maybe only Sonja Henie, Dick Button and Irina Rodnina have been as dominant???

Not just her wins, but her margin of winning.
She is the "Babe Ruth" of gymnastics - and that is the biggest compliment I can give to an athlete. :agree:

That said,
I still voted for Alina for this award.
AND Yuzuru Hanyu.

Let the mainstream sports world know that figure skating does exist.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Trusova doesn't come close even with her best season. At the 2018 gymnastics worlds, 2nd to 6th place was separated by 0.2 points. Simone, with 2 falls (each fall getting 1 point deduction), was ahead of 2nd place by over 1 point (57.491 to 55.798, she's the only gymnast to ever hit 60 points this season).

That's maybe why some think that her era is weak. I think she's maybe just overscored à la Medvedeva now (even herself basically said that she didn't deserve the scores she received at worlds). The field is not necessarily weak.
BUT, Simone is simply fabulous. Not many has dominated for so long and it's rare to see a non-teenager still win like that.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
That's maybe why some think that her era is weak. I think she's maybe just overscored à la Medvedeva now (even herself basically said that she didn't deserve the scores she received at worlds). The field is not necessarily weak.
BUT, Simone is simply fabulous. Not many has dominated for so long and it's rare to see a non-teenager still win like that.

Simone is dominant because of her D-scores, and ability to execute these D-scores well. It's not because her competition is necessarily weak, but because she's able to do much harder maneuvers.

Simone is also impressive because she's not just resting on the same elements but actually improving. If Skater A were able to hit 6 quads with every skate, or whatever, with quality of execution, they would be untouchable. And then they managed to add a quint on top of that.

Simone isn't waiting for the other girls to catch up to her. She's trying to catch up to the best that she can be, and it's widening her margin at a faster rate than her competition can upgrade/catch up. That's the thing: she's not just dominant... she's working to make herself even better which is just adding to her already existing dominance.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Yeah, it's for all of that. Like Sasha Trusova who always want to get harder jumps and is basically unbeatable when she lands her quads well. But we saw at JGPF that she can be beaten by someone who is far far far from her technical difficulty, when she doesn't land them well.
Simone seems pretty untouchable.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yeah, it's for all of that. Like Sasha Trusova who always want to get harder jumps and is basically unbeatable when she lands her quads well. But we saw at JGPF that she can be beaten by someone who is far far far from her technical difficulty, when she doesn't land them well.
Simone seems pretty untouchable.

Yup. The only time Simone is beaten is on bars (where Nina is queen), although Simone literally just upgraded in her comeback so she could be a contender there, and came 2nd. On beam when she loses focus she is also beatable like at Worlds and Rio, but there as well she has huge base value (although the potential for deductions is much greater and execution is more important).

When Trusova lands her jumps she is also unbeatable but she definitely didn't bring her best to the JGPF and Kostornaia was sublime. I'm actually glad the PCS gap was substantial enough for Alena to win, because it'll compel Trusova to develop that side of her skating more. But man, she's definitely one to watch for next season, as someone who can potentially dominate. p.s. where's her 4S at?! :biggrin: It's like Nathan Chen's/Shoma Uno's 4L - we know you got that in your arsenal, boo, bring it back!

MissBeeFarm

On the Ice
Yup. The only time Simone is beaten is on bars (where Nina is queen), although Simone literally just upgraded in her comeback so she could be a contender there, and came 2nd. On beam when she loses focus she is also beatable like at Worlds and Rio, but there as well she has huge base value (although the potential for deductions is much greater and execution is more important).

When Trusova lands her jumps she is also unbeatable but she definitely didn't bring her best to the JGPF and Kostornaia was sublime. I'm actually glad the PCS gap was substantial enough for Alena to win, because it'll compel Trusova to develop that side of her skating more. But man, she's definitely one to watch for next season, as someone who can potentially dominate. p.s. where's her 4S at?! :biggrin: It's like Nathan Chen's/Shoma Uno's 4L - we know you got that in your arsenal, boo, bring it back!

The real queen on bars is Fan Yilin, though! Stupid effing FIG rules not allowing her to compete at Worlds if she wants to compete at the Olympics. Poor girl was robbed of her third World title by the FIG :sad4:

I brought up Trusova, because her situation with the two falls was similar to Simone winning with two falls. What makes Simone stand out though, and is the reason she won despite the falls (and Trusova didn't) is a) her consistency and b) the second part of her scores being huge as well (E-Scores in gymnastics), Trusova on the other hand still has room to improve on her PCS scores.